Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Master World Championship Schedule is up

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Master World Championship Schedule is up

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-17, 10:16 PM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There's also an Extended Stay America a couple blocks west of the Hampton.

the place to avoid (other than to drive past and see that it actually exists) is the Dare-U-Inn on main street right under the 91. I suspect they don't have overnight rates or take reservations, anyway.

There's various restaurants and some grocery stores within a mile or two of the velodrome. If you're super cheap and very sneaky you might be able to stay in the Ikea.

Be cautious of staying any substantial distance away from the stubhub center - even from manhattan beach it can take 45 minutes to an hour to get to the track at peak commute times, which are probably longer than most places. I live just north of Pasadena and if I were doing a major event there again I'd just get a room down there for the duration. When I was commuting to Redondo Beach for work (managing a subcontract at a vendor) they let me stay overnight in the area if I wanted to, even though it was less than 35 miles from home.
Old 08-29-17, 06:16 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Divebrian
Thanks, it is the Hampton Inn and it was $20/night cheaper than the Double Tree. How's that rear wheel treating you?
perfect and then some - i love it. thanks again!
Old 08-29-17, 01:34 PM
gl98115

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Divebrian
A UCI license is required and it says it must be obtained from your National Governing Body or Federation and that it is different form a regular domestic license....anyone know the USA cycling protocol to get a UCI license off the top of their head?
Go online and purchase an International License. $130.

usacycling.org

You can also do it through the app.
Old 10-03-17, 07:54 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
I did my last session at Hellyer prior to Worlds today, the forty first one I've done since last October, not counting the racing I've done there this past season. I've got eleven sessions at VSC behind me, and one LAVRA TT race weekend. I head to Carson this coming Saturday for nine days there. I'm pretty sure you fellas aren't terribly interested in what this 65+ masters woman will be doing, I'm not the caliber racer or athlete you fellas are, but just the same. How many other women my age do you see taking a bike to a velodrome and riding it much less racing it? Anyway, I have an ambitious race schedule - 2K, team pursuit, 500M TT, team sprint, seeding 200 and then match sprints. The whole past year, since last October, has been about this upcoming race. I'm looking forward to the experience, and to meeting new folks, and to racing. It's going to be a lot of fun.
Old 10-03-17, 08:56 PM
Clythio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
See you there! Not that amount of training since I've got back to fix/track only on March, and intend to start this "one year journey" after this event, looking to next year Worlds, when I'll be 60 yrs.
Good luck!
Will reach Carson Thursday afternoon - 12hs flying from Brazil, one needs some rest prior to suffer on the track.

Originally Posted by sarals
I did my last session at Hellyer prior to Worlds today, the forty first one I've done since last October, not counting the racing I've done there this past season. I've got eleven sessions at VSC behind me, and one LAVRA TT race weekend. I head to Carson this coming Saturday for nine days there. I'm pretty sure you fellas aren't terribly interested in what this 65+ masters woman will be doing, I'm not the caliber racer or athlete you fellas are, but just the same. How many other women my age do you see taking a bike to a velodrome and riding it much less racing it? Anyway, I have an ambitious race schedule - 2K, team pursuit, 500M TT, team sprint, seeding 200 and then match sprints. The whole past year, since last October, has been about this upcoming race. I'm looking forward to the experience, and to meeting new folks, and to racing. It's going to be a lot of fun.
Old 10-04-17, 10:31 AM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you don't already know Jan Pal.... (I can't spell her last name) who is a 65+ woman who can best many a younger man. She trains relentlessly, and is a delightful person, make sure you make her acquaintance when you are at Carson.
Old 10-04-17, 10:56 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

don't be so sure! i enjoy your posts, love your enthusiasm, and am looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.
Old 10-04-17, 11:13 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by rensho3
If you don't already know Jan Pal.... (I can't spell her last name) who is a 65+ woman who can best many a younger man. She trains relentlessly, and is a delightful person, make sure you make her acquaintance when you are at Carson.
I know who Jan is! I've spoken to her briefly, and I do hope to get to know her better. Her daughter is a sweetheart, I had a wonderful chat with her the last time I was at VSC. Jan is a former Olympian in rowing, and she holds the WR for "our" age group in the 500. She's an amazing person, no question!

Last edited by sarals; 10-04-17 at 11:21 AM.
Old 10-04-17, 11:15 AM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by queerpunk
don't be so sure! i enjoy your posts, love your enthusiasm, and am looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.
Thank you! I do my race reports over on the Masters Racing Forum. I'll definitely give a synopsis here!

Thank you again, @queerpunk!
Old 10-04-17, 07:23 PM
Divebrian

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I (or rather my wife) has a few questions for anyone familiar with Carson and/or Worlds. This will be her 1st time to a velodrome or to watch/assist me and she has been driving me crazy with questions. I told her I didn't know the answer to her questions, but that's why I'm going for the experience this year and results next year...so I could find all this out this year and be prepared and focused for next year, but that's not good enough for her. She's killing me!! In your stall, is it just a 4x8 stantioned off piece of concrete or is there a chair/bench? What temperature do they keep the velodrome? On days/times I'm not racing, will her infield pass and my racer credentials allow us into the stands or will we be relegated to the infield only? Around the velodrome, within walking distance, is there a selection of food options or grocery store? I'm sure she has more, but those are the main questions I can remember at this time.
Old 10-04-17, 08:54 PM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In your stall, is it just a 4x8 stantioned off piece of concrete or is there a chair/bench? There are chairs. But an event this big, I'm not sure they will have enough for everyone.

What temperature do they keep the velodrome? It's very consistent low 70's.

On days/times I'm not racing, will her infield pass and my racer credentials allow us into the stands or will we be relegated to the infield only? This event is free admission. Anyone and everyone can enter the stands.

Around the velodrome, within walking distance, is there a selection of food options or grocery store? Not really walking distance, unless you have decent chunk of time. I'm told food trucks (and beer) will on site. There are couple small strip malls with some food options just a block or so away.
Old 10-04-17, 09:20 PM
Divebrian

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the response, but I was under the impression it was not a free event. On the event sign up page, they have a list of add ons with options for infield passes and spectator passes. Infield passes are listed as $25 for the day or $80 for all sessions and spectator passes listed at $10 per day or $40 for all sessions.
Old 10-04-17, 10:07 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Divebrian, have you been to Nationals? I haven't been to Worlds, but I'd imagine that the infield business is very similar.

I'd bring camping chairs just in case. Each one is $20 well-spent and can be left in the car or left rolled up of not needed...but will probably be more comfortable than a bench. Some days situations may have you waiting around for a long time. There sometimes occurs this odd no man's land of time where it's actually better to stay in the infield for hours than try to make it to the hotel and back in time for your next event.

If you are cautious, bring a cable lock for stuff you fear may walk away (rollers, bike, etc...) when you leave for lunch or something. I've never heard of anyone having anything stolen at Nationals...but I see a cable lock here and there. A lot of our gear looks alike (especially rollers, pumps, "crack pipes"), so labels help avoid confusion.

If you can figure out a way for one or both of you tote all of your stuff (including bike, rollers, cooler, etc...) to the infield in one trip, that's ideal. As I recall, getting from the parking lot to the infield is a trek in LA.

If you can, go watch a day before your event so you can observe and learn without any pressure. If your wife plans to make a video of your events, plan those viewing spots, too. Recording from the infield may not work well.

It's a lot like tailgating.

Last edited by carleton; 10-04-17 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-05-17, 07:05 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

There are plenty of folding chairs on the infield, but it can be nice to have something a little bit more comfortable if your wife is going to be there supporting you for a while.

Your stall is delineated by moveable fencing, and it's on a wood floor that's usually covered in thin protective carpet.

For food: the most immediate options are at Avalon and Albertoni (a few blocks north); there's a strip mall at University and Avalon, but it ain't much; and there's a Walmart a mile south. It's LA, so, "a few blocks" is a mile and it ain't much of a walking town unfortunately.

Best bet, for comfort, is to pick up a bunch of supplies - a cooler with food for the day. Get burritos to go, a gallon or two of water, some sports drink, some fruit, and bring it to the track.
Old 10-05-17, 07:23 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Having the more comfy chair at Nationals this year was fantastic. I would not have wanted to sit around for hours on the benches.

And echoing Carleton's comments, I made a huge mistake going back home between events. I had about 4 hours. My place was 30 min away. By the time I got there, I had about an hour. I tried napping. Just left me groggy. And the travel time left me a bit stressed. That said, I'm not sure staying in the infield would have been better, though at least Worlds are indoors.
Old 10-05-17, 07:55 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Having the more comfy chair at Nationals this year was fantastic. I would not have wanted to sit around for hours on the benches.

And echoing Carleton's comments, I made a huge mistake going back home between events. I had about 4 hours. My place was 30 min away. By the time I got there, I had about an hour. I tried napping. Just left me groggy. And the travel time left me a bit stressed. That said, I'm not sure staying in the infield would have been better, though at least Worlds are indoors.
Yeah, that's why I called it a "no man's land" because there is no easy answer.

At 2012 Masters, I had sprint qualfiers early rounds in the AM and later rounds in the evening. Being that it was my last day of events, I had checked out of my hotel that morning. It was too hot to sit around in the infield so I got in the car and went to a cafe, then a restaurant, then shops, then tried to nap in the car in the heat. I was listless. It totally screwed me for the reps that evening. I should have easily won the 5-9 reps but came in with no energy and flat legs. Had I done it over, I would have checked into a hotel nearby and showered and sat, ate, and watched TV in the AC for 4 hrs. That would have been $75 well-spent.

There are plenty of folding chairs on the infield, but it can be nice to have something a little bit more comfortable if your wife is going to be there supporting you for a while.

Your stall is delineated by moveable fencing, and it's on a wood floor that's usually covered in thin protective carpet.

For food: the most immediate options are at Avalon and Albertoni (a few blocks north); there's a strip mall at University and Avalon, but it ain't much; and there's a Walmart a mile south. It's LA, so, "a few blocks" is a mile and it ain't much of a walking town unfortunately.

Best bet, for comfort, is to pick up a bunch of supplies - a cooler with food for the day. Get burritos to go, a gallon or two of water, some sports drink, some fruit, and bring it to the track.
I wonder if Jimmy John's, Uber Eats, or some similar service, serves that area.
Old 10-05-17, 11:08 AM
rensho3

Bikes: Fuji Elite, 3Rensho track, Trek Madone 6.9, Specialized MTB, GT MTB, Cannondale Cad3 fixie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Folding chairs will be available, but I plan to bring my own chair because it is more comfortable.

Unless they set it up differently from before, you can get three sets of rollers/trainers into a cabin. Get there early to get a spot.

The morning/afternoon spectator passes are free, but the evening sessions cost money. Infield passes are either daily or all week. I didn't see an option for buying the daily infield pass, so even though I will only be competing two days, I bought the weekly pass for my wife. As far as I know, if you have a race number and an infield pass, you can also spectate for free.

Bring your own food and drink. There may be a food truck there (Vance might now this), but there is nothing else in walking distance. I do quite a bit of walking and hiking off season, and it would take too much time to walk to available choices. Queerpunk's suggestions are spot on.
Old 10-05-17, 06:48 PM
VanceMac

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rensho3
The morning/afternoon spectator passes are free, but the evening sessions cost money.
ALL sessions are FREE for spectators.
Old 10-06-17, 10:26 AM
rensho3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was at VSC last night and there are a number of picnic tables set out on the upper deck. There is also a booth that appears to be selling smoothies, and, more importantly, one that is selling Goose Island beer. I am thus going to assume that there will be a food truck or something providing food for sale as well. Still, if you are an athlete, bring your own food and liquids just in case.
Old 12-08-17, 11:07 AM
carleton
Elitist

Clayton Shepard has been "Provisionally Suspended" by the UCI for doping violations from a test taken at Master's Worlds 2017.

https://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/C...EN_English.pdf

This table lists the license-holders currently serving a provisional suspension as a consequence of a potential or asserted anti-doping
rule violation, over which the UCI has results management authority. Provisional suspensions imposed by other anti-doping
organisations are not included in this list. The UCI confirms that the individuals listed below cannot participate in any competition or
activity until the adjudication of his or her case on the merits or the lifting of the provisional suspension by the UCI Anti-Doping
Commission or the CAS. The UCI wishes to emphasize that the decisions in this table are not necessarily final and there may be
appeal rights for the License-Holder and/or other parties in certain cases.
This is the guy who was lapped the field TWICE in a short scratch race. He rode upright and passed those other guys like they were standing still...and then won the final sprint.
Old 12-08-17, 12:10 PM
Poppit

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
What’s wrong with these people?
Old 12-08-17, 12:14 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

People who raced with him throughout the year had reported some really unlikely performances, ability increases, physique improvements, etc. There was a widespread case of the raised eyebrows even before some other rumors about him started to creep around. I'm relieved to see he got dinged, and surprised and disgusted that he was taking GW1516. That's some scary stuff.
Old 12-08-17, 01:40 PM
ruudlaff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
People who raced with him throughout the year had reported some really unlikely performances, ability increases, physique improvements, etc. There was a widespread case of the raised eyebrows even before some other rumors about him started to creep around. I'm relieved to see he got dinged, and surprised and disgusted that he was taking GW1516. That's some scary stuff.
Jeezo that’s the reportedly cancer causing stuff. I had heard of that and I wasn’t even a cyclist when it was in the news. That’s a ridiculous risk to take to win a few races.
Old 12-08-17, 02:27 PM
carleton
Elitist

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GW501516

GW501516...was invented in a collaboration between Ligand Pharmaceuticals and GlaxoSmithKline in the 1990s, was entered into clinical development as a drug candidate for metabolic diseases and cardiovascular diseases, and was abandoned in 2007 because animal testing showed that the drug caused cancer to develop rapidly in several organs.
(Emphasis mine.)

NOPE.

As much as I like kicking y'all's collective asses, it's not worth getting rapid cancer.

This case, among many, many others, shows 2 important things:

1) How important sport is to many of us.
2) The great lengths at which we are willing to go via safe, unsafe, sanctioned, unsanctioned, legal, and illegal ways...because of the first point above.

This dude risked his life in order to excel in amateur bicycle races...that paid no money. You can't buy a house with USA Cycling and UCI medals or jerseys. Hell, I have to explain what "track cycling" is to all of my friends and coworkers and most fellow cyclists that I encounter.

Humans are weird.

Last edited by carleton; 12-08-17 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-08-17, 02:47 PM
carleton
Elitist

I found this log on a weight training forum. If it is to be believed, it's amazing (in good and bad ways): GW1516 Log

He was very encouraging back in 2011. Then his last post of July 2017:

CLINICAL TRIALS HAVE SINCE RELEASED RESULTS INDICATING THAT DOSAGES OF 3 MG/KG/DAY, CAUSED VARIOUS CANCERS IN RATS AND MICE. THEREFORE, I WOULD RECOMMEND AGAINST USING THIS DRUG.
Whelp.

Last edited by carleton; 12-08-17 at 03:44 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.