Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2021! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2021! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Old 12-08-21, 06:56 PM
jolly_codger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 150 Times in 66 Posts
My Monday commute was a new record for me: 5-degrees F, woo hoo! Went well save for my arthritic thumbs getting cold; this was with my new winter motorcycle 3 finger mitts. I am giving up my quest to find gloves/mitts that will work for me and have decided that heated gloves are my next purchase. Yes, I do have bar mitts but am waiting for a consistent cold spell to roll in before they go on; today it got up to 56 and pogies would be way too hot to ride with.
Likes For jolly_codger:
Old 12-09-21, 08:07 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Originally Posted by jolly_codger
My Monday commute was a new record for me: 5-degrees F, woo hoo!
Brrr! (Well done!)

Maybe five years back I dropped from 14F to 7F as my personal record, and decided I needed some wind blocking tights. Naturally it hasn't dropped below 15F since then, but on those days, I had nice warm legs!
Old 12-09-21, 08:46 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 115 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1326:

Temp was a balmy 33°F this morning, which is the warmest morning I've had in a week. The snow from Tuesday had mostly melted off, and seeing as I had a 22 mile day ahead of me I took the road bike. There were some icy spots I had to be careful with (unclip and coast across with my legs down on either side) but I made it without any issues.

Supposed to get about 40°F today and sunny, so that will probably take care of a good chunk of the ice that's still hanging around. Just in time for a huge blizzard we're supposed to get tomorrow. My wife is already in a panic about it, and asking me how she's going to drive through it to get to work. I just stared at her and asked, "You do realize that I'm going to be on a bicycle?" lol

When I arrived at the office I was locking up my bike on the rack when I heard a muffled voice from behind me. I spun around and nobody was there. I was pretty early and the parking lot was dark and nearly empty. I looked around for a minute, but finally decided I was just imagining it. I was continuing to fiddle with my bike when I heard a cough from behind me that most definitely wasn't my imagination. Once again I spun around and nobody was in sight in any direction. I was starting to get creeped out and went inside the building. A few minutes later I realized there were a couple maintenance guys up on the roof, and that's who I heard. I was relieved to discover I'm not starting to hear random voices.
Old 12-09-21, 12:44 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
At 8 the forecast said no more rain and I loaded up the truck my MTB, whch has fenders. But did not get out the door til nearly 9, and the forecast changed. It rained all the way to the daycare. Decided to go home and put away the bike and get a cuppa with my wife. That done, as I drove to the office about 10 there was no more rain. Haw-haw. Only got one lap this week.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-09-21, 02:58 PM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
A five-day week but only on the bike for three of those days due to forecast 50-60mph winds and heavy rain. It was great to be back on the bike today!
Old 12-13-21, 04:57 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
Does it work logistically to haul your bike to the pre-school, drop your granddaughter off, then leave the car parked and bike to work from that location? Then ride back after work and retrieve your car.

Just throwing it out there as a possible option. I did that a bit when I had to take my son to school. At least I could still get my bicycle commute in.
I like your thinking but it does not work because of the time constraints involved with I her drop off time and what time I have to be to work and then back to pick her up. Biking would take to long. Thank-you though for your idea.

It is my first day commuting in what seems like forever. It was a warm 35 f degrees this morning at 5 am when I left the house. Hopefully I can get 2 days in this week before we get bad weather or some other circumstance that disrupts my riding.
Old 12-14-21, 05:06 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 84 Posts
Another pleasant and uneventful commute (to steal a tag line from the Mainer's "the way life should be") in to work today. The temp was a little chillier at 32 f degrees with clear skies.
Old 12-16-21, 09:06 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1331:

Palindrome commute number!

The last 24 hours of commuting have been interesting, to say the least.

When I left work yesterday evening, the temp was 47°F. In mid December. In South Dakota. Crazy. However, it was pouring sheets of rain. On top of that, there was thick fog. I didn't think it was possible to have that much rain fall, yet be foggy at the same time. As I rode home I watched the river, which had been frozen solid from the previous few weeks of cold weather, as the rain flowed on top of the ice. That was also a new one.

After I got home soaking wet, it rained hard for a few more hours. Then the temp quickly dropped about 30 degrees and the wind came up hard. The rain turned to snow. We were predicted to get gusts of more than 60 mph, and I'm pretty sure they were accurate.

I didn't sleep well. In the middle of the night I woke up, and my brain clicked on as I dwelt on some ongoing personal issues. As I laid awake in bed I could hear the wind howling. I started to dread the morning commute as I knew I would be riding straight into that wind. That didn't do much to help me relax and fall back to sleep. As a result, when the the alarm went off at 5:45 AM I wasn't very rested.

With all the rain we had and then the sudden temperature drop, it turned into a "flash freeze" situation. When I got up and looked out the window there was a layer of ice on the pavement. Rats. I decided I'd better pull the bike with studded tires down from storage and take that to work.

My studded tire winter bike hadn't been touched since last March. When I pulled the bike down I was dismayed to see the chain was completely rusted and seized up so that it wouldn't spin. I threw the bike on the repair stand and spent some time oiling the chain and breaking the links loose so they would go through the derailleur. I hadn't accounted for that time, and wound up leaving the house 15 minutes later than planned.

As anticipated, the ride straight into that wind sucked. The air temperature was 18°F, and with the 30 mph headwind that put the wind chill at -1°F. Gusts pushed the wind speed higher than that, but thankfully weren't hitting the 60 mph we were getting during the night. The wind was strong enough that if I stopped pedaling I would come to a stop in about 10 feet.

Between the wind and the ice, I averaged about 6 mph. I had to stop a few times to drag large tree branches off of the MUP, where they had fallen due to the wind. I started to get pretty cold as I rode, as the wind went straight through my clothing. Oddly enough, despite how cold I felt, about five miles into the ride a steady drip of sweat started to fall from my left eyebrow. It would pool and freeze in the bottom of my ski goggles. Strange.

It took an hour and 15 minutes to ride the 8 miles to the office. Today was one of the days where if I didn't have a long streak going, I probably would have thrown in the towel and driven. I arrived to work 15 minutes late, a frozen popsicle and in a foul mood. When I put my bike in the rack and tried to lock it up, I discovered that my lock had frozen solid and wouldn't move. I decided that if someone wanted my crappy old winter bike they could have it, left it unlocked and went inside to warm up.

Last edited by Tundra_Man; 12-16-21 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-16-21, 01:44 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

First lap since last Monday, I think. Water on the ground but none falling. I brought my cold weather stuff to the daycare to start the ride but elected not to wear it - changed my mind about halfway, wished I'd had the heavier gloves.

Might have a couple more laps this calendar year. Not counting on it!
Old 12-16-21, 04:50 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
Beautiful day for a ride to work. 69F according to Goofy (the Garmin). Stiff south wind, but that pushed me home.

But...

Almost 70 in December? We got lucky last week, pity the poor folks in Kentucky who bore the brunt of that storm. Another cold front coming down tomorrow night; praying for a gentle rain, but checking the batteries in the radios.
Old 12-22-21, 09:19 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1335:

Pretty mild morning, with the temp at 23°F and about a 10 mph breeze. I took the hybrid even though there were a few very icy spots. I decided to just be extra careful in the places where ice had completely covered the pavement. I guess I just wasn't in the mood to ride a winter bike with studded tires when 95% of the pavement was dry.

Today is my last commute of 2021. I logged 3,160 miles on my bicycle riding back and forth to work. There were days when I really questioned the sanity of riding, days where I reached the office and wished I could keep going, and plenty in-between. Add them all up and that's another calendar year of not taking a car to work a single time.

As per my tradition, I took a photo to commemorate my final ride of the year. After looking at the photo it became apparent how much last week's rain melted off the big piles of snow. A week ago this photo location wouldn't have happened because it was just a giant drift. You can see that the river is still iced over, though.
Old 12-22-21, 02:45 PM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

A four-day week and all eight commutes had no rain - really rare at this time of year in the UK. The morning traffic was noticeably quieter as the schools are off and also many construction sites take a two-week break. Only three days for me though as I'm back in on Boxing Day.
Old 12-22-21, 06:32 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Well, didn't get any more rides in this week. Merry Christmas everyone!
Old 12-29-21, 03:26 PM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Another four-day week but only three on the bike as I used the car today due to a forecast of heavy rain and 50mph winds. All three days that I did ride were wet and I'm quite the expert at drying my cycling kit in work now despite the crap facilities offered. That's me done for 2021 and I'm looking forward to continuing to cycle commute in 2022!
Old 12-30-21, 02:17 PM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
30 degree's this morning had a guy yell me "Aren't you cold!" .. Nope I had the right amount of layers, actually was a little warm. Ending the year today and driving tomorrow. 2500 miles this year which is pretty average for me. For 2022 not going to track mileage like I have been, just going to go by the ODO on my main commuter and if I ride one of the others I might do a Strava. The wind has been beating me down lately, the insane winds back on the 16th was crazy. I put up a few snippets over of it YouTube...
.. The camera doesn't do just how bad the wind actually was!
Old 12-31-21, 08:10 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

I put together my final commuting highlights video of 2021. It's been a few months since I posted the last one. I'm sure the delay has disappointed tens of people.

Old 01-01-22, 05:23 PM
Shortwave

Bikes: 2024 Specialized Diverge E5, 2020 Giant Stance 2, Trek Domane 2 Fixed Gear FTW

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
I put together my final commuting highlights video of 2021. It's been a few months since I posted the last one. I'm sure the delay has disappointed tens of people.

Bicycle Commuting Highlights Volume 31

im new here, but you are by far the most fun to read about. I do hope you keep up the logs for us to read.
Old 01-02-22, 08:50 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Originally Posted by Shortwave
im new here, but you are by far the most fun to read about. I do hope you keep up the logs for us to read.
Thank you! And welcome to the forum! Please feel free to join in and share your own commuting adventures as well.