Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

In Praise of Leather Gloves

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 01-16-22, 05:38 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts

I've been having great rides lately with a cheap pair of suede (split cowhide underlayer) work gloves.

Not the usual ones that are half fabric and leather only on the contact surfaces, but all leather - got them for $3 on closeout at Walmart a while back.

They've been great for rides at or a little below freezing, They're very effective at blocking wind, and unlike a lot of other things like neoprene they don't respond negatively at all to sweat on your hands - if anything, I feel like that's helping to personalize them.

I usually head out also carrying a pair of serious rag wool mittens with crude fabric covers for wind block, but so far haven't needed to resort to those - I'll maybe get cold fingertips briefly early in a ride, but once I'm really warmed up and charging along, my hands are quite happy.

Unfortunately just before really getting into riding in these, I used them for some bike repair projects in unheated space, so they're now a bit grease stained, but that counts as "experienced" I guess.

Have been thinking about digging out some thicker suede split I have and trying to stitch a pad of it to each palm for some longer term reinforcement and padding, but even without, I'm really liking them as a default solution once the amount of wind through my even-in-summer fabric gloves would be too much.
Old 01-17-22, 06:25 AM
Thulsadoom

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert, 2002 TREK 520, Schwinn Mesa WINTER BIKE, Huffy Rock Creek 29er, 1970s-era Ross ten speed. All my bikes are highly modified(except the Tarmac) yet functional, and generally look beat to ****. .

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 51 Posts
I'm assuming you're wearing liners?

I've had the same experience. Cheap, heavy work gloves with good liners make some of the warmest gloves you can get. I have a set of thin goretex ski gloves that make great liners.
Old 01-17-22, 09:02 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
to clean gloves, I sometimes put them on my hands, then wash my hands, with something like Dawn dish soap. wring them out, maybe use some paper towels on them & hang them near our home heating ducts to air dry for a cpl days