Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I graduated to an inflator

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-22, 01:19 PM
hrdknox1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts

As I age it has become more effort to put air in my tires using a floor pump. As a senior I have graduated to using an air inflator. I wonder why I hadn't thought of it sooner. Price wise the inflator cost less than my floor pump. Wisdom is invaluable......
Likes For hrdknox1:
Old 03-12-22, 01:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Just make sure you practice with it. They don't all work in the manner you'd expect them to. And for some people that makes for extra frustration on the side of the road when wanting to do a hasty fix of a flat tire. That quickly turns to anger and rage at the product they bought even though they failed to use it correctly.
Old 03-12-22, 11:17 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by hrdknox1
Price wise the inflator cost less than my floor pump. Wisdom is invaluable......
Assuming you mean a CO2 inflator, you should know that CO2 migrates through the tube. You'll need to top off before every ride.
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 03-13-22, 07:54 AM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
As I age it has become more effort to put air in my tires using a floor pump. As a senior I have graduated to using an air inflator. I wonder why I hadn't thought of it sooner. Price wise the inflator cost less than my floor pump. Wisdom is invaluable......
I too am a senior rider and had a lot of trouble getting the tires to 100 psi - ( in my 30's 120 psi with a floor pump was no problem ) - father time is a relentless opponent - I just recently got a 1 1/2 gallon Craftsman compressor with a Park INF-2 inflator - love it , gets to 100 psi within seconds and I don't risk a hernia - for on the road I use a threaded CO2 cartridge and a Silca EOLO inflator head , very small but works great - however the CO2 only gets the tire to 80psi which is enough to get me back on the road and eventually home .
Old 03-13-22, 08:20 AM
hrdknox1

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Assuming you mean a CO2 inflator, you should know that CO2 migrates through the tube. You'll need to top off before every ride.
Not a CO2 inflator, an air inflator (compressor type) only suitable for home use. And yes CO2 does dissapate quicker than air so I always take it out when I reach home and refill the tube with air.
Old 03-13-22, 08:23 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Price wise the inflator cost less than my floor pump. Wisdom is invaluable......
Assuming you are describing an inflator head attached to an air compressor, yes the ease of use is much better but you have to include the cost of the compressor into the calculation. If you are using CO2 cylinders and an inflator head for routine use, the cost will soon be prohibitive and, as noted, CO2 "leaks" out of the tube much faster than air.

I'm also a senior rider (is 79 senior?) and fairly light and I can still use my Park FP-4 to get to 120 psi with no problems. I do have a compressor but it's only bicycle use is to blow solvent off of freshly cleaned parts during overhauls and to seat tubeless tires.
Old 03-13-22, 09:11 AM
hrdknox1

Originally Posted by HillRider
Assuming you are describing an inflator head attached to an air compressor, yes the ease of use is much better but you have to include the cost of the compressor into the calculation. If you are using CO2 cylinders and an inflator head for routine use, the cost will soon be prohibitive and, as noted, CO2 "leaks" out of the tube much faster than air.

I'm also a senior rider (is 79 senior?) and fairly light and I can still use my Park FP-4 to get to 120 psi with no problems. I do have a compressor but it's only bicycle use is to blow solvent off of freshly cleaned parts during overhauls and to seat tubeless tires.
I am talking about an AIR INFLATOR (pictured), not a compressor. Most good pumps (picturued) are higher priced.

Old 03-13-22, 09:44 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

You carry that with you on your rides?! <grin>
Old 03-13-22, 10:09 AM
Route 66

Bikes: Spot ACME with Shimano Alfine 11 & Gates Carbon Drive

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 24 Posts
Life got so much easier when I switched to using one of these battery powered inflators.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-13-22, 10:30 AM
blinky

I am talking about an AIR INFLATOR (pictured), not a compressor. Most good pumps (picturued) are higher priced.

An inflator is fine , I have a hand held Craftsman inflator which I use for golf cart tires - it takes a bit of time though to pump things with an inflator compared to a compressor - paid $190 for the Craftsman - have a 25' GoodYear rubber hose with Park inflator adapter for the bikes and another with ball chuck for the cars ( use a hand held pressure reader) - compressor is so much faster - the guy above who uses a floor pump to get up to 120psi is my hero .
Old 03-13-22, 11:27 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by blinky
An inflator is fine , I have a hand held Craftsman inflator which I use for golf cart tires - it takes a bit of time though to pump things with an inflator compared to a compressor - paid $190 for the Craftsman - have a 25' GoodYear rubber hose with Park inflator adapter for the bikes and another with ball chuck for the cars ( use a hand held pressure reader) - compressor is so much faster - the guy above who uses a floor pump to get up to 120psi is my hero .
You pump golf cart tires to 120 psi? That person would be my hero too. But not for being able to pump to that PSI, but for being able to pump that long.

120 PSI is only a dozen or two pumps on a 25 x 622 tire, and most don't use that much pressure in them anyway. Though I still do sometimes.
Old 03-13-22, 11:40 AM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by Route 66
Life got so much easier when I switched to using one of these battery powered inflators.
the makita works well though why they don't have a locking trigger is strange. but I put this head on it now its much better. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-13-22, 12:05 PM
Route 66

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
the makita works well though why they don't have a locking trigger is strange. but I put this head on it now its much better. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I only use it for bike tires and so I don't miss having a trigger lock. This is the Presta adapter I have on mine:
Old 03-13-22, 12:06 PM
fooferdoggie 

I only use it for bike tires and so I don't miss having a trigger lock. This is the Presta adapter I have on mine:
with the replacement head you don't need the adaptor. it fits both so its far faster then screwing on the adaptor.
Old 03-13-22, 12:35 PM
soyabean

Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked 402 Times in 267 Posts
You found a tool that can help you make your life better.

And despite that, you still have folks here telling you what is wrong and how should be doing things right Just ignore them and he happy with your new tool.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 03-13-22, 12:43 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
You found a tool that can help you make your life better.

And despite that, you still have folks here telling you what is wrong and how should be doing things right Just ignore them and he happy with your new tool.
Who said he is wrong?
Old 03-13-22, 02:06 PM
blinky

Originally Posted by Iride01
You pump golf cart tires to 120 psi? That person would be my hero too. But not for being able to pump to that PSI, but for being able to pump that long.

120 PSI is only a dozen or two pumps on a 25 x 622 tire, and most don't use that much pressure in them anyway. Though I still do sometimes.
It's an older 3 wheel cart & the tires have inner tubes - many newer carts have solid plastic or rubber wheels - the required pressure is pretty low but I think of "inflators" as an air pumping tool for beach balls , etc. , surprised me that OP is using one for bike tires - years ago I was running Michelin Pro 3 Race road tires and could get them up to 120 psi with my Specialized floor pump .
Old 03-13-22, 02:45 PM
Route 66

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
with the replacement head you don't need the adaptor. it fits both so its far faster then screwing on the adaptor.
I don't have to screw either side on, they both just push on and stay in place.
Old 03-13-22, 02:55 PM
fooferdoggie 

I don't have to screw either side on, they both just push on and stay in place.
all the adaptors I had you had to screw onto the valve. but I like not having an adapter that I will lose. the replacement head fits perfectly onto the makita hose./
Old 03-13-22, 03:33 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by blinky
...... but I think of "inflators" as an air pumping tool for beach balls , etc. , surprised me that OP is using one for bike tires......
"Inflator" sort of implies different things depending on how used. For a basket ball being filled from a pump or tire being filled with a CO2 cartridge it is just something used to allow you to get the air or gas from one to another them. On a air hose from a compressor we'd normally just use the air chuck connected straight to the air hose. However when using the term inflator along with air compressor, we should know that they are also implying something that lets you control the pressure at the business end of the hose or it simply includes a gauge so you can see what the tire pressure is when you let go of the trigger.

Maybe George Carlin could make something of that. It's okay to prick my finger, but it's not okay to finger my.....