Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

No Rubber To Be Found :)

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Old 07-06-21, 01:26 PM
Scubaquarius

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

My wife has pretty much worn out the tires on her Catrike Villager. I can see the threads coming through the rubber.
The tires are Schwalbe 406 Marathon Racer 20 X 1.5. Having great difficulty finding them locally, on the web, or
even through the Schwalbe (apparent North America) distributor.

On the good side, her life insurance is paid up .

Anyone know where I can find these tires? Not sure I can pull my wife out of the ditch, with or without the bike.... just kidding!

Thanks, Scubaquarius
Old 07-06-21, 03:09 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
I have bought tires from the uk and shipping speed was not bad. https://www.ebay.com/itm/23301409218...kAAOSwrExgXlbD
Old 07-06-21, 03:10 PM
rando_couche

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 106 Posts
AFAIK, Marathon Racers have been out of production for quite a few years. No idea what the replacement is.
Old 07-06-21, 09:18 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Apparently the replacement for the Marathon Racer is now the Marathon GreenGuard tire. Yes, you are correct they are out of stock at most places except one that I see.

Schwalbe Marathon GreenGuard Tire 210000003167

In stock at the Hostel Shoppe in Wisconsin. www.hostelshoppe.com. $31 each plus shipping. For an alternative, see the private message I sent you.
Old 07-06-21, 10:28 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Depending on your needs, there is also the Schwalbe Marathon Plus 20x1.35 and 20x1.75.

If you choose to go "Flat-Free", Tannus also makes tires in 20x1.25 and 20x1.5.
Old 07-07-21, 08:45 AM
Scubaquarius

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
I have bought tires from the uk and shipping speed was not bad. https://www.ebay.com/itm/23301409218...kAAOSwrExgXlbD
Thank you so much for the info fooferdoggie!
But I just have to ask how you came up with your name (I love dogs)?

Scubaquarius
Old 07-07-21, 08:48 AM
Scubaquarius

Originally Posted by rando_couche
AFAIK, Marathon Racers have been out of production for quite a few years. No idea what the replacement is.
Now that is valuable information... even the North American Schwalbe distributor did not mention that .

Thank you,
Scubaquarius
Old 07-07-21, 08:49 AM
Scubaquarius

Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Apparently the replacement for the Marathon Racer is now the Marathon GreenGuard tire. Yes, you are correct they are out of stock at most places except one that I see.

In stock at the Hostel Shoppe in Wisconsin. www.hostelshoppe.com. $31 each plus shipping. For an alternative, see the private message I sent you.
Thank you so much for this important information,
Scubaquarius
Old 07-07-21, 08:51 AM
Scubaquarius

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Depending on your needs, there is also the Schwalbe Marathon Plus 20x1.35 and 20x1.75.

If you choose to go "Flat-Free", Tannus also makes tires in 20x1.25 and 20x1.5.
Are there any downsides to going with the flat-free tire?

Thanks so much,
Scubaquarius
Old 07-07-21, 09:19 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Scubaquarius

Scubaquarius
I misspelled it but foofur dog is a cartoon and my wife calls me that. I now even have a tattoo of him. the marathon plus tires area bit heavy but man do they last. I got 8000 miles on my front tire before changing it.
Old 07-07-21, 09:48 AM
CliffordK

Are there any downsides to going with the flat-free tire?

Thanks so much,
Scubaquarius
I tried a set of 700x23 (or 25) tires on one bicycle.

I found the Tannus tires were a bit of a pain to install. But, I think I got the wrong size pins. So, follow the measurements carefully, and make sure you get the right pins.

Also do your routine maintenance (truing, etc) before installing.

They are obviously somewhat heavier than ordinary road tires. But some of the Schwalbe tires including the Marathon Plus are also heavy tires.

The ride was slightly rougher than ordinary pneumatic tires, including perhaps a little more handlebar vibration. And, I had a few instances when I thought traction was reduced including difficulties climbing my paved driveway in the winter (which is hard anyway), and slipping on a wet store parking lot.

I have wanted to get the Tannus tires for my bike trailers as fewer flats to worry about.

I haven't ridden trikes much, but I have played around with a tadpole a bit. I think the wide stance did put it at some additional risk of flats.

To save weight and maintain some performance, the tires are constructed with essentially a very thin outer layer over a moderate density foam. After a few thousand miles, you start chewing through the foam as part of the tire wear.

I can't say if I'd make the jump to Tannus tires on a trike, but it would be worth consideration. If it was an electric assist cargo trike, I very likely would go with them. For a pure mechanical trike, it would depend on your riding, and any aversion to flats.
Old 07-07-21, 10:50 AM
Scubaquarius

Originally Posted by VegasTriker

Hi VegasTriker,
I remember your name from other posts. Thanks for the reply.
After some research, I believe these:

are probably my best option. But the salesperson at the hostelshoppe said that they require "tubes" and didn't have the exact
tube size 20 X 1.5. I have never run bicycle tires with tubes before. I'm wondering if there are any special issues with running
tubes? So I just need to find a place that sells the correct size tubes and I think I'll go with these.

Would appreciate any other advice you can offer on running or purchasing tires requiring tubes. And thanks for all your past
advice as well .
Scubaquarius
Old 07-07-21, 11:38 AM
CliffordK

But the salesperson at the hostelshoppe said that they require "tubes" and didn't have the exact tube size 20 X 1.5. I have never run bicycle tires with tubes before. I'm wondering if there are any special issues with running tubes? So I just need to find a place that sells the correct size tubes and I think I'll go with these.
Are you running tubeless? I'm not seeing any tubeless notes on the Marathon Racer.

The Schwalbe tires should have heavy enough sidewalls that they should be impermeable to air, as long as you can get them seated. It would be worth a try if you wish.

20x1.75 tubes should be literally everywhere. Finding narrower tubes is more difficult, but they're out there.
Old 07-07-21, 12:01 PM
Scubaquarius

Originally Posted by CliffordK
Are you running tubeless? I'm not seeing any tubeless notes on the Marathon Racer.

The Schwalbe tires should have heavy enough sidewalls that they should be impermeable to air, as long as you can get them seated. It would be worth a try if you wish.

20x1.75 tubes should be literally everywhere. Finding narrower tubes is more difficult, but they're out there.
Hi CliffordK,

No, you are correct. The marathon racers are tubeless. But they are out of stock everywhere.
So I am considering the Schwalbe Marathon Green Guard, which are available, in 20 X.1.5.
However, the Schwalbe Marathon Green Guard "require" tubes. And that is why I was asking
about running tires with tubes, any special issues, etc.

Thanks for your reply,
Scubaquarius
Old 03-22-22, 05:18 AM
soloman

Bikes: Catrike Expedition

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Most Catrikes come standard with Marathon Racers (including tubes). You can buy Racers directly from Schwalbe, but they are, in my opinion, not very good tires. Low puncture and high rolling resistance. I prefer the Marathon Originals Green Guard
Old 03-23-22, 06:31 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts

Scubaquarius
I believe that Foofer was a cartoon hound dog.
Old 03-23-22, 06:40 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I believe that Foofer was a cartoon hound dog.
yep my wife calls me foofer. don't really remember why. a few years ago I had to get a tattoo sorry hard to take a good pic of my own arm.