Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do you appraise a bike to sell?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-22, 07:54 PM
PGHNeil

Bikes: 2003 Trek 4900, 2019 Trek Marlin 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts

My Trek Marlin 7 is 3 years old and in need of an overhaul so I feel I'm at the point of diminishing returns. I'm sorely tempted to trade it in on a 2022 Marlin 6 as it has an upgraded drivetrain compared to mine and I'm also looking to go down a frame size. I want to flip my Marlin 7 for it, but I'm confused by the current market with regards to what its value actually is though. I'm particularly confused about the used bike market. Bicycle Blue Book leaves me feeling disheartened with regards to trade in value but when I look at private listings I see listing of this year/model and near the original price. What gives? Could you guys provide me some guidance? Thanks!
Old 03-21-22, 08:13 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
Peruse ebay for sold similar models and that should give you a good idea on what it might be going for.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=2019+trek+marlin+7&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&rt=nc&_ odkw=2018+trek+marlin+7&_osacat=0&LH_PrefLoc=1&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1

Old 03-21-22, 08:35 PM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 414 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by PGHNeil
I'm confused by the current market with regards to what its value actually is though.
As an active bike flipper, book values really mean squat as it has a lot more to do with local supply/demand and how much you can showcase a bike such that a prospect can drool over it.

I get asked for appraisels all the time, I always reply with three versions:

The pawn shop lowball price I would pay now.

The typical fair market value for folks that do their own legwork, taking pics and posting their own ad on the internets.

And my ceiling price after having repaired/rebuilt the bike to showroom condition, and I am a God level photographer.

Basically you really need to know someone that can give you an honest answer, otherwise if you ask a LBS or strangers, they may bias the answer like any car dealership that appraises a trade-in car.

And if you don't know anyone that can help, you're pretty much at the mercy at believing that others tell you since you lack your own experience to price accordingly.

There's always the fun in gaining experience at flipping your own bike as the first bike you flip. But if you haven't done it before, it makes little sense to start now, but in all cases, you're at Free Guy Level 1.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 03-21-22, 09:00 PM
roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Merlin Extralight '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 261 Posts
The Marlin 7 appears to hold its value well, according to those sold listings on eBay. Maybe just price it around that level, sell it there, and take your lumps. If you sell elsewhere, you're going to get low-ballers, provided they even show up. Like Soyabean impled, make a good ad with sharp photos. Stay patient and don't cave.
Old 03-21-22, 09:57 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Start at half to 2/3 of what a similar new bike would cost new, out the door of a local shop today and go from there. Compare to prices of bikes actually available locally today, not what you paid three years ago. Sounds like you know what the current version of the bike sells for and that it's actually available locally? Go for 2/3 of that if it's in really good condition, looks great and is ready to ride. 1/2 if it looks well used.

I don't know what these bikes sell for, but if it's a three year old bike that sells for $1,000 locally today, that looks used (as opposed to in the garage the whole time), I personally wouldn't pay more than $500 for it. Of course that depends on local availability today. That's why I said look at what it would go out the door for today. If it's not available, you could get more.

If that $1,000 bike looks like new, little to no use, I still wouldn't pay much more than $6-700 for it used with the caveats mentioned if I could get a new one for $1,000.

Numbers used just as an example, you do the math.

A 3 year old bike is not old. Have you kept it in good condition? Does the frame clean up nicely? that's what you should be thinking of. What are you gaining by getting rid of a fairly new bike as opposed to paying $100 for a tune up and some replacement parts?

If/when you sell it, I'd be interested in how it goes - how much you can sell it for compared to a new one that's similar.

Last edited by Camilo; 03-21-22 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-21-22, 10:14 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
My Trek Marlin 7 is 3 years old and in need of an overhaul so I feel I'm at the point of diminishing returns.
I realize you may just want to move on, but this statement does not suggest a very good return if you plan on selling the bike as is.

A lot depends on how extensive an overhaul is needed. For example, if the fork and drivetrain are shot, how do you expect to sell it.

John
Old 03-22-22, 09:07 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
A 2018 or 2019 Marlin 7 retailed for $749 or $789, respectively. Unless you service it first, prepare to accept half of that.
Old 03-22-22, 09:29 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I know two things for sure.....the Bicycle Blue Book is useless....there are no rules in the current market. For example: I have a bike that I bought new for $1400 in 2019. The exact bike is being sold at the Pro's Closet for $1900. Same year, same wheels, same 105 etc.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 03-22-22, 10:39 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
When I follow some of those used bikes being ask MSRP on craigslist or eBay, I've given up watching them after several months because they never sold. Apparently the seller just re-lists them thinking they will eventually find someone willing to pay that much. I've even sometimes seen the very outrageously priced vintage bikes being taken down for several years, then get re-listed by the same seller.

What determines the value of your bike is you finding the person that wants to pay what you are willing to accept for your bike. If you don't need the money, consider donating it.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-22-22, 08:53 PM
soyabean

I'd say that the bike is in good working order with just need for a new bottom bracket and chain.
This topic has been recently discussed here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...vs-fixing.html

When folks are looking for a used bike instead of a brand new 2022 bike from a LBS, they want a deal, something so cheap they just have to buy it.

A house for sale with a brand new kitchen can be sold for a house with the costs of the brand new kitchen plus some.

This does not apply to bicycles. Mostly because people need kitchens more than they need a bike.

If you think your broken bike and its upgrades are worth as much as you claim it to be, why not just post a free ad for sale and tell us when you've sold it?

And you should ask me how much I charge for a BB swap repair, in a time when I can play clients to believe that spare parts are scarce.
Likes For soyabean:
Old 03-22-22, 09:13 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Basically a bike is a depreciable asset that also loses value over time because of wear and tear, not unlike a car. Yes, some bikes have more intrinsic value than others due to their rarity or amount of craftsmanship, but those are the exception not the rule in my opinion.

There is also the value that the potential buyer places on a bike they are looking at. Some are looking just for exercise, others are looking for nostalgia and a few are looking for a collectible bike.

Assessing the value of a used bike is made more difficult the more problems or 'defects' it has. Considering that most bikes today and mass produced, even the expensive ones, their intrinsic value is less than say a hand-made bike from a boutique or well known maker who hand-builds the frame.

Are you going to get your money out of the bike? No, I don't think one should expect that from a mass-produced bike. Sell the bike for what you think it is truly worth and take your emotion out of the decision.

It's JUST a bike.
Old 03-22-22, 09:55 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Selling a bike because it is the wrong size is a good reason.

... If I had to put a number on my bike, it certainly wouldn't be $450 - more likely around $600.
There you go, list the bike at $600 if you think it's worth that much. Mention what you think needs repair / replacement in the ad.

You can judge if your price is right by how much interest you get. If nothing in a week or month (depending how patience you are), lower the price some. Remember to renew the add periodically while it's listed.
Likes For katsup:
Old 03-22-22, 10:02 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by katsup
Selling a bike because it is the wrong size is a good reason.

There you go, list the bike at $600 if you think it's worth that much. Mention what you think needs repair / replacement in the ad.

You can judge if your price is right by how much interest you get. If nothing in a week or month (depending how patience you are), lower the price some. Remember to renew the add periodically while it's listed.
What ​​​​​katsup said
Old 03-22-22, 10:09 PM
soyabean

Originally Posted by soyabean
If you think your broken bike and its upgrades are worth as much as you claim it to be, why not just post a free ad for sale and tell us when you've sold it?
And pretty much what I said.

FWIW the reason I want to upbike is twofold
FWIW a buyer looking for a deal isn't going to be interested in funding someone else's needs.

They just want a deal.

Otherwise, re-listing the same ad for months/years it is.
Old 03-23-22, 08:18 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Doesn't matter if your bike is actually worth $5000.00 if you can't find any wanting to buy your bike for that amount.

If you want to sell it, then you sell if for what the prospective buyers you can find offer you. Or again, just donate it to someone or some organization.

Things you consider upgrades are just going to be normal maintenance to me as you probably didn't put the "upgrade" on it I would want.
Old 03-23-22, 11:58 AM
soyabean

I guess I should've unloaded it last year: Both these listings sold for $700.
Why are you so concerned to prove what other bikes are selling for, when you should see how much your bike can actually be sold for?
Old 03-23-22, 12:35 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Is the price what they sold for or what was being ask?

Either way, just start out at that and then decide how low you will go. If there aren't a lot of people looking for that type of used bike in your advertising area, then you can quickly run out of potential buyers if you aren't willing to take a lower offer. If everyone in your area is looking for that type bike then maybe it's priced too low.

Realize that if you hold out for the premium offer, then those that made a low offer will probably never come back. I made a guy what I thought was a fair offer on a bike when I was looking for something a dozen years ago. He wanted MSRP for a two year old bike that was only used on a trainer. He called me back two months later asking if I still wanted it. I told him the truth, I'd since found another bike for much less than even my offer for his bike.
Old 03-23-22, 12:48 PM
PGHNeil

Bikes: 2003 Trek 4900, 2019 Trek Marlin 7

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
I appreciate all the well-meaning advice. For those who feel I am questioning your advice or am somehow being dishonest or naive, I'm sorry that you feel that way but it was not my intent. I have removed my follow up posts in the interests of decorum and consider this thread closed. Have a nice day.
Old 03-23-22, 01:37 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I appreciate all the well-meaning advice. For those who feel I am questioning your advice or am somehow being dishonest or naive, I'm sorry that you feel that way but it was not my intent. I have removed my follow up posts in the interests of decorum and consider this thread closed. Have a nice day.
There is no decorum in removing your posts. What you said you said. To remove them just seems like you must be embarrassed by something you said in them.

And where you got the idea that any was questioning your honesty is beyond me. Did I miss a reply?
Old 03-23-22, 02:17 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I think you need to realize that the pandemic has thrown everything out of whack.

Shortages have driven prices on used items to unrealistic levels. If you could have sold your original $750 bike used for $700 a year ago it only means the shops didn’t have them in stock. But they probably didn’t have a Marlin 6 in stock either.

The other issue is the condition. If it needs work, you lose a lot of buyers. The advice that most BF members give when buying a used bike is to find one with little mileage that has been well maintained.

If it only needs a BB and chain to make it ride like new, that is an easy decision for you. The tough decision is that it might need more than that, which is what most buyers would be wondering.

John
Old 03-23-22, 08:14 PM
Camilo

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I think you need to realize that the pandemic has thrown everything out of whack.

Shortages have driven prices on used items to unrealistic levels. If you could have sold your original $750 bike used for $700 a year ago it only means the shops didn’t have them in stock. But they probably didn’t have a Marlin 6 in stock either.

The other issue is the condition. If it needs work, you lose a lot of buyers. The advice that most BF members give when buying a used bike is to find one with little mileage that has been well maintained.

If it only needs a BB and chain to make it ride like new, that is an easy decision for you. The tough decision is that it might need more than that, which is what most buyers would be wondering.

John
Yeah very few casual buyers- which is the type of buyer looking at a bike like that - will buy a bike that needs a new bb and/or chain, even tires or grips or handlebar tape.
Old 03-23-22, 08:23 PM
soyabean

Originally Posted by Camilo
Yeah very few casual buyers- which is the type of buyer looking at a bike like that - will buy a bike that needs a new bb and/or chain, even tires or grips or handlebar tape.
Nevermind serious issues like a BB which most folks can't DIY, but minor things like ad mentioning "tires deflated needs air put in them" will turn off buyers and reduce view count of a bike for sale ad significantly.

Never ceases to amaze me when people think their broken stuff is worth premium gold, whether it's a bike, car, ikea furniture, gently used used tupperware, all the crap you see constantly being relisted forever on craigslist facebook varagesale.
Likes For soyabean: