Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Suntour XC Pro

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Suntour XC Pro

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-22, 12:33 AM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 218 Posts
Suntour XC Pro

From an Avanti mtb

The hub's cartridge bearings feel perfect. I'm not sure how the grease port works with the cartridge bearings.
The wear on one side only of the bb is odd.
The freewheel has a tiny bit of play but it's smooth. That's all good right?

Last edited by Soody; 05-26-22 at 11:04 PM.
Likes For Soody:
Old 05-23-22, 06:14 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Freewheels do have play. The grease port works with sealed bearings. Push through the grease until you start to see clear grease come through.

Suntour XC pro grease guard (which I'm pretty sure was designed by WTB) is absolutely top end stuff. You're lucky it came with a freewheel and not the suntour cassette given that parts for the suntour cassettes are unobtainium. The click shift on sun tour is sometimes pretty good and sometimes not. It can be frustrating but there is always friction. The click shifting on my '91 Team Stumpjumper that came stock with suntour xc pro never worked quite right. I harvested and salted away a second set of suntour xc pro stuff from a Bianchi cross bike. Now I just need to find the right bike for those components.
Old 05-23-22, 03:55 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
XC Pro was just the best.

When you hold an XC Pro or XC Comp piece in your hand and compare it to the corresponding M900 XTR, M735 XT or M650 DX piece- You see how beautiful it is and feel just how solid it's made. When you get used to Accushift- you feel how positive the shift is compared to SIS.

I have a few XC Pro bits that I'm saving for that "someday" bike.

Congratulations on having a nice clean group! That crank is one of the most beautiful around- one of the last Class A 110/74 triples. For those that haven't seen them- there's this beautiful sheen to them, like the old Gran Compe components; and it just doesn't show in pix. And like the old GC stuff, it wears away and gets scratched so it just looks like "a crank" in the pictures- just non-polished and boring. But when you see them new- they're a sight to behold.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 05-26-22, 10:41 PM
Soody

Bikes: Gunnar, Shogun, Concorde, F Moser, Pete Tansley, Rocky Mtn, Diamant, Krapf, Marin, Avanti, Winora, Emmelle, Ken Evans

Originally Posted by bikemig
The click shift on sun tour is sometimes pretty good and sometimes not. It can be frustrating but there is always friction. The click shifting on my '91 Team Stumpjumper that came stock with suntour xc pro never worked quite right.
Interesting. Is a part of that do you reckon not having a floating jockey wheel? The jockey wheel bearings are stupidly nice but i was wondering if i should try and modify/replace the top one so it floats. Because I put an aftermarket jockey wheel on an XT mech once and that didn't float and i think it stuffed up the indexing.
Or not having ramped cogs? Is there a better freewheel I could index with these?

I can't use the shifters now anyway though. They do seem pretty cool but they're a bit gummed up, they don't fit these bars, and i need to find the special cables because i stupidly cut them.
For now it's these suntour stem shifters and friction.
Old 05-26-22, 10:48 PM
Soody

I have the suntour/pederson 'self energizing'' cantis.
grip area is 180mm so tape or long scooter grips, iunno, or what color, suggestions?
Tires are original panaracer marked 'national tyre co', not badly dry rotted, but probably should be replaced.
will probably run a carradice bag + bagman

Is a 8spd sram or kmc chain all good for this stuff?

Last edited by Soody; 05-26-22 at 10:57 PM.
Likes For Soody:
Old 05-27-22, 06:19 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by Soody
Interesting. Is a part of that do you reckon not having a floating jockey wheel? The jockey wheel bearings are stupidly nice but i was wondering if i should try and modify/replace the top one so it floats. Because I put an aftermarket jockey wheel on an XT mech once and that didn't float and i think it stuffed up the indexing.
Or not having ramped cogs? Is there a better freewheel I could index with these?

I can't use the shifters now anyway though. They do seem pretty cool but they're a bit gummed up, they don't fit these bars, and i need to find the special cables because i stupidly cut them.
For now it's these suntour stem shifters and friction.
Accushift is sort of it's own thing- especially when you get up to 7 and 8 speed.

It was designed to be accurate- and NOT have any imprecision that SIS has. Which is why it's kind of finicky- if everything not just right, it gets cranky. So you don't want to introduce a floating jockey. You can still use old school solid Bullseyes and still get good indexing.

You shouldn't need special cables or housing- just good stuff. (ie stainless cables in lined housing)

I've really only worked with Accushift 6 speed- and that's the easy one because the cog spacing is effectively the same as SIS in 6 speed. The cog spacing diverges for 7 and 8.

BTW- make sure you're using the Pedersen brakes in the rear- the front should be the "normal" brakes.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 05-27-22, 07:53 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
When Suntour purchased the design from Pederson, they did not offer the front brake, only the back due to liabilities. I have a set on my tandem.
Old 06-02-22, 08:53 PM
Soody

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Accushift is sort of it's own thing- especially when you get up to 7 and 8 speed.

It was designed to be accurate- and NOT have any imprecision that SIS has. Which is why it's kind of finicky- if everything not just right, it gets cranky. So you don't want to introduce a floating jockey. You can still use old school solid Bullseyes and still get good indexing.

You shouldn't need special cables or housing- just good stuff. (ie stainless cables in lined housing)

I've really only worked with Accushift 6 speed- and that's the easy one because the cog spacing is effectively the same as SIS in 6 speed. The cog spacing diverges for 7 and 8.

BTW- make sure you're using the Pedersen brakes in the rear- the front should be the "normal" brakes.
the cable head is different
pic from an rj video on it
mine are like this too:

I've ridden the bike a little bit now. I actually really like the ergonomics with these bars and the stem shifters. I'm wondering if there's an indexed suntour downtube shifter that would go on this stem shifter boss and be compatible with the freewheel and XC PRO derailer. Rear indexing would be nice. I know thumbies exist for this but they're gonna be rare and expensive whereas road suntour stuff is kinda common.
Old 06-03-22, 05:32 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Oddly enough, you can still get those cables in those cheapie Bell cable kits on Amazon or Walmart. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BLXZY28...SEK4F1HC05MTHT
Old 06-03-22, 06:29 AM
theblackbullet

Bikes: I don't even

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 77 Posts
Beautiful bike. I'm envious!

You might look into BMX grips. They can be found really long. They like them to run all of the way into the bend now-a-days. These for example come in 165mm length: https://www.danscomp.com/odyssey-tra...clrbk/p1342383
Old 06-03-22, 08:14 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Suntour Accu-7 indexing often works best with narrower chain, such as Shimano 9s chain (or with certain vintage Sachs chains from the post-Sedisport era).
Reason being that the Accu-7 shifters "over-shift" generously toward larger cogs with each shift.

Those early index-compatible Sachs/SRAM chains had no sideplate bulges, so were less likely to snag on the teeth of the next-largest cog than the one you are shifting to.
Old 06-03-22, 09:43 PM
Soody

nearly finished, it rides really nice.
got some 180mm grips from a scooter shop

Last edited by Soody; 06-03-22 at 09:48 PM.
Likes For Soody:
Old 06-04-22, 05:04 AM
Bianchi84

Bikes: 1984 Bianchi Tipo Corsa, 1985 Cannondale SM600 (24/26)

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
When Suntour purchased the design from Pederson, they did not offer the front brake, only the back due to liabilities. I have a set on my tandem.
I have the actual Pedersen front brake on my 1985 Cannondale SM600 (26/24 wheels). I set them up with Odessey Straddle Rods instead of cable and they work perfectly - never threw me over the bars!
(Suntour Rollercams on rear).
Old 06-04-22, 09:04 PM
Soody

Originally Posted by Bianchi84
I have the actual Pedersen front brake on my 1985 Cannondale SM600 (26/24 wheels). I set them up with Odessey Straddle Rods instead of cable and they work perfectly - never threw me over the bars!
(Suntour Rollercams on rear).
How do you like em? I never really thought cantis with kool stops were lacking power so i don't see the point and i love how well nice cantis modulate.
Unless it's muddy downhill trail riding in which case discs make way more sense now. I can see why these existed and it's to fill a niche which is now redundant which is extreme mtbing with cantis.

They are really cool though. And i'm not trying them with good pads. First impression on this pederson/suntour brake, with the de-glazed old pads, is that it's grabby. It feels like a v-brake. And the spring adjustment is annoying.
I will say though that the pad adjustment on both of these suntour brakes is extremely good. Extremely easy to toe/position them and they don't shift on tightening.
Old 06-04-22, 09:09 PM
Soody

Originally Posted by dddd
Suntour Accu-7 indexing often works best with narrower chain, such as Shimano 9s chain (or with certain vintage Sachs chains from the post-Sedisport era).
Reason being that the Accu-7 shifters "over-shift" generously toward larger cogs with each shift.

Those early index-compatible Sachs/SRAM chains had no sideplate bulges, so were less likely to snag on the teeth of the next-largest cog than the one you are shifting to.
Interesting thanks. I will try a 9spd chain if i go to the accushift shifters. I'm using a sram 870 8 speed chain now, that seems to work well in friction
Old 06-04-22, 09:13 PM
Soody

Originally Posted by theblackbullet
Beautiful bike. I'm envious!

You might look into BMX grips. They can be found really long. They like them to run all of the way into the bend now-a-days. These for example come in 165mm length: https://www.danscomp.com/odyssey-tra...clrbk/p1342383
Cheers : )
BMX grips are good stuff. I love Ourys, probably my favorite grip, though those are oldschool/ not long.
I went even longer with 180mm scooter grips. They're really nice and were quite cheap. The guy in the scooter store was chill and even opened some packets for me to look at. He says he gets lots of bike people come in for grips. I'm also considering wrapping some odds of bartape on/past the lever because its a hand position i find myself resting on.
Old 06-04-22, 09:15 PM
Soody

Originally Posted by SJX426
How does braking work on a tandem anyway? If you jam them both on does the rear wheel lift/lock up?
Old 06-05-22, 03:26 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 261 Posts
I was a Suntour fanboi for many years. In ‘94 I bought some XC Pro 74/110 cranks new on close out for a paltry $60. Should have bought 10 sets at that price. They were the most beautiful cranks I’ve ever seen, with a luster that just gleams. You can’t photograph it, but if you’ve seen it you know what I mean. Stupidly, a year later I traded them for some XC Pro micro drive cranks, which were very pretty in their own right. Once the 8 speed SunTour stuff disappeared, I began pairing my 8 speed XC Pro thumbies with Shimano 8 speed XT. Never had a problem with any of it but I did find the slightly narrower KMC chains of the day shifted slightly better. I ran XC Pro 8 with XT 8 for years, turning my nose down at the “unenlightened masses” who didn’t appreciate the magnificence of XC Pro thumbshifters. I still love the stuff but can’t afford to buy any more of it…