Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

1997 GT Vantara

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

1997 GT Vantara

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-22, 06:43 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
1997 GT Vantara

I bought this off the local Facebook Marketplace from an older couple looking to get it out of their garage. Very typical for our area -- bought at a bike shop in the DC area, probably hung in the garage for years, couple retires with their nest egg out here in the country, and they finally want to shift the things they no longer use. I was happy to give them the $70 they wanted for it and clean it up. It was in very nice condition already. Everything worked so well, I really didn't change much. I haven't even put new shift cables on it -- the SRAM Gripshift SRT-400 shifters are just spot on, I can't justify messing with it. It has an Acera-X derailer pair, and they both work great. The front cranks are not recalled. It has a 7-speed cassette body on it that I don't plan to upgrade right now (the 3x7 offers plenty of gearing range).

The original tires were dry rotted, so I replaced them with some 38mm Paselas. I replaced the front cantilever brakes with a pair of Tektro Mini-Vs (and kept the OE U-brake, using the OE short-pull levers front and rear), and loaded both brakes with Kool-Stop salmon pads. I also swapped to a swept-back handlebar, to replace the rather narrow 560mm shallow riser that came on it (with a longer stem to match). It feels perfect. The top tube is just low enough to where I can treat it as a step-through frame, which is what I was looking for. One of the other things I was looking for is a host for this rear rack so I can carry some huge side panniers with enough heel clearance. The Trek 750 that I usually ride has chain stays short enough to where even this rack, which is slung back behind the rear axle, positions the panniers close enough to where I swipe them with my heels. This bike has 450mm seat stays, which puts those panniers just far enough rearward for the clearance I need. I added an inexpensive front rack (the $20 Sunlite rack you can find on Amazon) to support my tool/first aid bag...and loaded the panniers with some moving blankets to simulate weight I'd typically carry (food, beach towels, etc.), and went for a spin tonight.

It rides beautifully. It's quiet, it's very comfortable, it's smooth...the traditional 3x7 drivetrain works great...the brakes stop the bike right now. We're going on vacation to Michigan this summer, with a stop in Grand Haven for a few days and then up to Sault Ste. Marie for a few days, where we'll also go down to Mackinac Island. We plan to take our bikes with us and this one will be my ride. It'll be able to carry everything we need on our beach and touring rides.

Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 05-29-22, 06:44 PM
hokiefyd 

Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 05-29-22, 07:55 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,876 Times in 1,079 Posts
get outta town

that bike is sweet !
Likes For t2p:
Old 06-01-22, 12:58 PM
hokiefyd 

Links to everything I've used here...

Front rack: Sunlite Gold Tec Front Rack...$19
Rear rack: Blackburn Grid 1 Standard Rear Rack...$25 on Amazon Used 'n' New
Handlebar bag: Axion Seymour Oceanweave P7 Handlebar Bag...$22
Pannier Bags: Trek Electra bought unused from local Craigslist...$20
Pedals: Imrider with the pins removed...$11 on Amazon Used 'n' New
Tires: Panaracer Pasela 700x38...$29 x 2 on Panaracer.com
Brake pads: Kool-Stop Salmon Thinline...$13 x 2
Handlebar: Sweeper from my parts bin...$0
Stem: Long quill from my parts bin...$0

Parts were bought over time, but the total invest here is about $250.
Old 06-02-22, 07:23 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
It looks brand new and sounds like it performs like brand new too! Great find!!
Likes For freeranger: