Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

1990's diamondback sorrento

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 06-13-22, 07:38 PM
mAxxz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi guys! im new too this site, im here on the need of help of restomodding my diamondback sorrento! im planning on stripping it, repainting it, adding new drive terrain, and then an e-bike kit for around town, does anyone know what type of crankset i would need? and i would like to add a fork suspension on it, since it never came with one, and it rides bumpy.
Old 06-14-22, 01:11 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by mAxxz
Hi guys! im new too this site, im here on the need of help of restomodding my diamondback sorrento! im planning on stripping it, repainting it, adding new drive terrain, and then an e-bike kit for around town, does anyone know what type of crankset i would need? and i would like to add a fork suspension on it, since it never came with one, and it rides bumpy.

I think there is an E-bike forum on here that might be able to help with that question

The Sorrento was a lower end model -- maybe $300 new - its not worth putting a suspension fork on it or really spending any money at all outside of fixing what might be worn out or broken , --- but id think it would be as good a candidate as any for an ebike conversion, especially if you just use one of the hub drive kits
Likes For DMC707:
Old 06-14-22, 01:17 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3085 Post(s)
Liked 6,563 Times in 3,763 Posts
Thread moved from C&V to E-bikes.

Old 06-14-22, 08:41 PM
mAxxz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
I think there is an E-bike forum on here that might be able to help with that question

The Sorrento was a lower end model -- maybe $300 new - its not worth putting a suspension fork on it or really spending any money at all outside of fixing what might be worn out or broken , --- but id think it would be as good a candidate as any for an ebike conversion, especially if you just use one of the hub drive kits
yes, i understand that, but i like the frame on it, hense the reason why i would like to put my money into it, its light enough, and it was my first bike, and i'd like to give it some attention, so the only things i need to figure out is what type of fork i can put on it, not a super expensive, but a kinda budget one, and id just like to convert all the drive-terrian too all new.
Old 06-15-22, 10:30 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 613 Posts
AIR, this bike has a 1" steerer and quill stem. You'll have difficulty locating a new fork for it that isn't just a pogo stick, but there's a guy that's very well rated who restores old (oops, vintage) forks; check the mountain bike site. You'll need to decide on either a hub drive or mid-drive. If it's a rear hub system the dropouts need to be spread (probably 10 mm) to accommodate the wider hub systems, which isn't too difficult, but front hub or mid would be better IMO. I converted a slightly more modern Diamondback Axis with a rear hub and it's a good bike.
Old 06-15-22, 10:34 AM
2old

BTW, this was a RICETOO kit from Amazon which wasn't bad, but I'd purchase a Bafang next time. The kit had a nice bag for the controller, but it got scalding hot the first time the bike was ridden, so it was tossed and the controller mounted where it's in a nice air flow. Looks funky, but hasn't been a problem.
Old 06-17-22, 08:37 PM
mAxxz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1990s diamonback sorrento questions

hi everyone, im stumped, im finally starting to tear down my diamondback sorrento avenir, and im unsure what derailluer it will fit on it, i am going to put a newer 7 speed freewheel, and deruailler, and im unsure what kind would fit on my bike, since it seems it mounts onto the frame, but it can be removed, if this helps with my question, the drive terrain is shamino 200gs, thank you!
Old 06-18-22, 01:02 PM
2old

AFAIK, any 7, 8, or 9-speed Shimano derailleur should function since it's the shifter "pull" that will be coordinated with the freewheel. You should be able to clean and lubricate the existing derailleur unless the bike has been left outside or trashed in some way.
Old 06-27-22, 09:56 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
I converted two of our old diamondbacks to electric, but they already had front shocks. These were the spring loaded "pogo sticks" common on bikes in my price range. What do I care, they work fine for rolling off a curb or the occasional small pothole.

I sympathize with your situation. My first conversion was a old Trek, with a 1" threaded fork, I also wanted a suspension fork (to be like the diamondbacks which were not converted til a year later). I finally found a 1" threaded fork, the RST-Capa like this one https://carsoncitybikeshop.com/fork-...-50-bk-disc-v/

What I discovered was that this fork did not have the threads cut deep enough to fit my Trek. I tried to cut them with a pipe die, but it's hard steel and you need a bike tool to do the job, In the end, I converted the Trek to a threadless mount, which required some extra parts. I would suggest getting the RST 1" threadless fork, if you can find one, and convert the Diamondback to threadless. In my case, I used a new headset and replaced the cups in the frame. A headset is 20 bucks, and the rest of the parts are about the same.

The advantage of a new fork is that it will have disk brake mounts. A rotor/caliper is around $50. Your ebike kit will have a new brake lever, but you'll need a new front cable/sheath. Avid BB7 are what I have used, after wasting money on no-name calipers, and the lesser Avid BB5. However, today, I would try the Zoom HB100 calipers. They are hydraulic pistons, which means they self adjust, but use a cable to actuate. I've got two in use this year, but I hear they leak.

The disadvantage of a suspension fork is that it raises the front of the bike 4-5 inches. If the frame was not designed for this, it will affect the ride/handling but I got used to it after a day. I'm not used to the middle of the bike going up 2 inches, My seat on the Trek is all the way down, and my toes just reach the ground. I also had to get a longer kickstand.

As for your derailleur, I have swapped them, but only on bikes where the derailleur screws into the hanger. Many of the low end Shimanos have the derailleur riveted to the hanger, so it's difficult to change unless I find one withj the same hanger.

Last edited by Doc_Wui; 06-27-22 at 05:13 PM.