Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

TransAm alternatives (Seeking input on route)

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

TransAm alternatives (Seeking input on route)

Old 06-17-22, 09:03 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Seems like a fair consideration that West to East gives enough time for released erythropoietin to facilitate additional red blood cells and make for less huffing and puffing at altitude on the relatively gentle climbs. Keeping the total weight down also helps. It is doubtful the East approach has enough elevation on the plains to prepare the body for elevation whereas starting in Astoria, one gradually goes higher and higher.
Yeah, it was nice going W-E. If you hit it as early as is reasonable weather wise and when McKenzie pass is first open there is a good chance of missing too much smoke and having decent weather until the heat and humidity in the east. With my luck there is usually hot weather regardless or whether it is supposed to be or not. The headlines seem to be "Record Heat Wave" wherever I go on tour.

I know what not to do. Don't fly into Denver and go over Trail Ridge the next day. The climb is easy. Puking down the backside isn't much fun.
I've done something almost like that. Not fun at all.
Likes For staehpj1:
Old 06-17-22, 01:17 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
Sometimes it seems pretty random when you feel the altitude and when you don't.

Going west, I had more trouble with Togwotee than I did at Hoosier Pass, despite Hoosier being some 2,000' higher. Approaching Hoosier, I had a rest day in Canon City (if you can call it a rest day with a half a day of whitewater rafting), overnighted the next night at Guffey (8,500' or so), and then cruised into Breckenridge with no more trouble that that kind of climbing incurs. Before Togwotee I had a real rest day in Dubois, leaving about 3,000 feet of steady climb to the pass. One might think a week or so over 5,000 feet, including 3 nights over 8,000', would have made Togwotee a comparative walk into the park, but 'twasn't so.
Old 06-17-22, 03:23 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
While riding a couple of Colorado passes last summer, I saw folks (assuming day riders, since they didn't have dunnage) with little personal bottles of oxygen. Hmph. I'd never seen such a thing - but then it's been several years since I rode the high passes. Checking the internet (and if you see it on the internet, it must be true), the jury still seems to be out on the efficacy of retail supplemental O2.

Anyway, if anyone is put off by climbing and all these breathless tales of trans-American cycletouring, they might try the 'flat' route with a maximum elevation of ~8500 feet on Sherman Summit just east of Laramie, Wyoming:

On this route, the Pacific/Atlantic Continental Divide is crossed at South Pass, Wyoming @ ~7400 feet.
Old 06-18-22, 04:39 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by mev
Yes, although several things also come from practical experience:
- Altitude definitely varies by person
For some it can even vary by trip. Just because you’ve done rides at altitude before doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ll react the same way in the future as seen below

- There seems to be a fairly sharp effect at what point it cuts in for individuals. For example, taking out of town guests to Frisco (elevation ~9000ft) rarely had much effect. There is a surprisingly large difference in effect between Frisco (9,000ft), Cameron Pass (10,300ft), Hoosier Pass (11,500ft) and Trail Ridge (12,200ft). The worst scenario seems to be flying into DIA and then immediately going to altitude - did that once with a friend flying from LAX and within 12 hours we went up Longs Peak. He was in good health and had hiked up Whitney but still needed time to adjust. Next trip after he visited we did Longs Peak but spent a few days around Frisco first.
If you are just going to Frisco to walk around, what you say is true. But if you are going to Frisco as a start to a loaded tour or any other aerobic activity, where you are putting in more effort than just walking, the lower altitude at Frisco is still going to have an impact.

- So assuming going up Cameron Pass all in a day from Fort Collins - particularly if you hadn't adjusted to Front Range altitude by cycling via Eastern Colorado would be a stupid assumption but I don't see you need to make that assumption - particularly given distances involved.
I’m pointing out that the rise from Pueblo to Hoosier is a gentler climb over all. Similar altitude rise over a longer distance equals an easier climb over all.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!