Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Eurovelo Bike Rental

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Eurovelo Bike Rental

Old 06-21-22, 05:38 PM
SDTurner

Bikes: Kona Sutra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eurovelo Bike Rental

I’m looking for info regarding bicycle rental for the French portion of Eurovelo 6, west to east. Is it possible to rent end to end (Nantes- Basel)? One way rental? Are bikes for such available in Nantes? Paris? This my research phase for a June 2023 ride.
Old 06-22-22, 10:44 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 342 Posts
I've never heard of one way rentals. The costs would be much too high. If you were to go with an organized tour, I'm sure they offer something similar. The problem is, you cannot pick your own departure or arrival points.
If you cannot find a tour company to suit you, you could buy a mid priced bike in France. From a sports store like Decathlon
Old 06-23-22, 03:26 AM
imi
aka Timi

Bikes: Bianchi Lupo (touring) Bianchi Volpe (commuter), Miyata On Off Road Runner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 98 Posts
I‘m assuming you’re in the USA. Have you looked into taking a bike with you?
British Airways will count your bike as checked baggage if under 23 kg. But do beware of ”code-sharing”

If you have the time, you could fly to London, take the train to Portsmouth, ferry to Le Havre, and ride west to east (tailwinds!) to Strasbourg for example. Just an idea. I did that a number of years ago. Great trip 😊
Old 06-23-22, 08:45 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
I believe the limit is now 70lbs with many airlines. This is what I heard about Iceland airways about a month ago

Old 06-26-22, 02:19 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
There is an outfit in Brittany, www.bretonbikes.com that is located on the canal de Nantes a Brest that is connected to the Eurovelo network. They have bikes they provide for their clients, but I don't know if they will rent bikes to independent tourers. I think it is run by some Brits and caters to British tourists.
Old 06-26-22, 05:55 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Interesting question. The city of Nantes proposes rentals for as little as 20 euros/month. Perhaps email them and see how things develop?