Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Time to diversify.

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Time to diversify.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-21, 09:34 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
Twelve days to respond, and you double posted. That's cool.

Of course, your alleged your singular experience and claim "No wobbling around on startup that can make drivers nervous, while you are scratching around trying to get clipped in." is only common, and the "norm," in your mind.

Out here in the real world, folks don't have all of these issues with clipless pedals that you repeatedly imagine.
Oh Im quite sure that all DF riders are perfect and clip in at the first try.
Old 04-03-21, 02:54 PM
Bent Bill

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2 Giant Frankenbike Trek Utopia Canondale 3.0 Sun Easy Racer Tadpole Schwinn Tandem Cheap Unicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by HD3andMe
I never claimed that, nor do I believe that.

That's just you making stuff up. Again.
See post # 95
Old 04-24-21, 12:40 PM
uprightbent

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 25 Posts
That's funny right there

Originally Posted by rydabent
About 3 years ago I participated in a ride of silence,
Wait-wait-wait.......YOU participated in a ride of silence?
Old 04-27-21, 05:32 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
OP should start a thread listing all of the people on BF he alone converted to trikes.
Old 04-27-21, 09:05 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
OP should start a thread listing all of the people on BF he alone converted to trikes.
I dont know about on BF, but a lot of people stop me on the trails to ask me about both my bike and trike. I give them the business card of the local bent shop. I do know of at least 2 or 3 that have bought trikes.

Last edited by rydabent; 11-26-21 at 09:46 AM.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 08-17-21, 09:47 PM
Kingpoo

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After several test rides I can say I don't find recumbent bikes practical... They seem comfortable for the flats where you don't have cars to deal with. When I have cars I want to be able to pivot my head around which isn't nearly as easy when reclining and they seem to require mirrors for any rear visibility. The 2 wheelers were the most maneuverable, but I wouldn't want to ride through the city or tight spaces. I don't see them being easy to bail off of, maybe rolling to the side but wouldn't likely get far enough away to avoid a wreckless car. The selection of tires for most of them seems pretty limited at least on the small front wheels, so good luck finding something puncture resistant for commuting. Ithink all of these reasons explain why I see lots of spandex racers with recumbents on bike trails, but almost no recumbents actually commuting through the city very often.
Old 08-17-21, 11:45 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,053 Times in 1,074 Posts
Strava says I have 15k miles on my current recumbent. The previous one probably had more but I didn't have Strava back then. Longest single day ride was 400 miles, and longest event was over 900 miles.

I also have an upright MTB, rando bike, commuter, and (as of today) a CX bike.

Longest single ride on an upright would be 400k/260 miles, and longest event 600k/370 miles.

For comfort, the 'bent is untouchable. True story: on a 1000k brevet, we stopped for a quick nap. The upright guys lay down on the wet grass, while I stayed clipped in, leaned against the fire station, and had a good snooze - because my 'bent seat was the most comfortable thing around even after a few hundred miles.

For speed on the flats and downhills, solo, the 'bent is also untouchable. No contest.

For climbs, anything above 2% the upright reigns. The steeper the grade, the bigger the difference. I don't know why. Don't care. It just is.

For group riding, upright is the way to go. The 'bent sucks in groups, particularly if there is any terrain. I've ridden two 1000ks with groups, in terrain, and it's a pain. I killed myself to stay with them climbing, rode the brakes descending, and loafed on the flats. The draft behind me is sub-par, and I can't see my front wheel well enough to draft closely.

For fun? Just plain enjoyment of riding a bicycle? Upright. I don't know what the magic is that comes with a lively upright, but there's nothing like it.

I find recumbent evangelizing to be silly, and people who'd rather be shot than ride one to be equally silly. If I had the dollars and space, I'd have a velomobile, FWD 'bent, carbon road bike, fixie, SS, tandem, and a 36" unicycle. It's all good.
Old 08-20-21, 10:16 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
I'm gonna flag that last post ^^^ so that any time I feel that perverse desire to get a 'bent -- which admittedly creeps up every few years -- I can re-read downtube42's astute litany and remind myself that no, I don't want to own one.

Maybe just borrow one...
Old 08-20-21, 10:32 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
I'm gonna flag that last post ^^^ so that any time I feel that perverse desire to get a 'bent -- which admittedly creeps up every few years -- I can re-read downtube42's astute litany and remind myself that no, I don't want to own one.

Maybe just borrow one...
Except his experience is not universal. My bent climbing is only very slightly shy of my upright climbing. Some folks never get the knack of it.

Both platforms are fun.
Likes For Steamer:
Old 08-20-21, 11:53 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,273 Times in 704 Posts
Originally Posted by Steamer
Except his experience is not universal. My bent climbing is only very slightly shy of my upright climbing. Some folks never get the knack of it.
Fair point, but I was referring to his comments about group riding as much as his comments about climbing.
Old 08-20-21, 05:08 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Fair point, but I was referring to his comments about group riding as much as his comments about climbing.
Hills are the main problem when riding with uprights.

The other incompatibility goes the other way. The bent rider has to lollygag on the flats. Although this is a nice problem to have.

High speed pacelines are a compatability problem, but if the group riding is more a loose bunch, the bent rider (on a high racer) doesn't really have much trouble fitting in.
Old 08-20-21, 08:13 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Kingpoo
After several test rides I can say I don't find recumbent bikes practical... They seem comfortable for the flats where you don't have cars to deal with. When I have cars I want to be able to pivot my head around which isn't nearly as easy when reclining and they seem to require mirrors for any rear visibility. The 2 wheelers were the most maneuverable, but I wouldn't want to ride through the city or tight spaces. I don't see them being easy to bail off of, maybe rolling to the side but wouldn't likely get far enough away to avoid a wreckless car. The selection of tires for most of them seems pretty limited at least on the small front wheels, so good luck finding something puncture resistant for commuting. Ithink all of these reasons explain why I see lots of spandex racers with recumbents on bike trails, but almost no recumbents actually commuting through the city very often.
I biked to work on recumbent bikes frequently Spring - Fall for about 12 years. (Now retired.) Riding from the suburbs to a hospital in downtown Indy. Not NYC but lots of traffic. Correct that cannot turn around to look to the rear but mirrors work well for that. Take-a-Look mirror is great. Suitable 20"/406 tires are available - maybe less so during covid times but that is true for many bike parts. Never felt the need to jump off of my bike to avoid a wild car.

Last edited by JanMM; 08-21-21 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-28-21, 04:12 PM
Kingpoo

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JanMM
Suitable 20"/406 tires are available - maybe less so during covid times but that is true for many bike parts. Never felt the need to jump off of my bike to avoid a wild car.
I unfortunately have jumped over a car hood. I survived, but the bike didn't. I wouldn't have had time to react if I was lower and couldn't see over the parked cars she was popping out from. Also a few times I almost ran rattle snakes over and was able to have my whole body probably out of striking range simply by lifting my legs up.
I know about mirrors since my bikes, motorcycles and even cars have all had them, but they all had blind spots to check for.
maneuverability, vantage point, and visibility were by far the biggest negatives to me.
Old 08-29-21, 05:58 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I sometimes complain that there are so few bent riders in my club, but that's only because I wish there were more guys who could give me a little challenge. On the other side of the coin, loafing while everyone else is working hard is sort of fun. But every once in a while I need to warn them the Happy Feet are taking over and I'll wait up for them somewhere down the road a bit.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 12-26-21, 10:00 PM
macbobster

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Steamer

Both platforms are fun.
Holy bottom bracket! I read the whole thread and I think Steamers post says it best. If your not having fun why bother? I own three really great 'wedgie' bikes and one fine recumbent. I mostly ride my Haluzak these days as it is far more enjoyable, read comfortable, than the others. If we ride trails it's on the MTB, tarmac or gravel the recliner is the go to ride. Steep hills require a wedgie. If I had acquired a recumbent years ago I would have those "bent legs" and the wedgies would not have seen as much use. Having worked in sawmills for 30 years, riding dirt bikes and snow skiing for fun has left me a bit beat up to say the least. I ride to share my faith, stay in shape and have way more FUN than I deserve!

Cheers, MAC

Scenic Drive, Trinidad CA
Likes For macbobster:
Old 12-30-21, 11:07 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

As Steamer says, YMMV. My M5 gives up very little to the uprights in my group on climbs. I got it specifically because its height lets it blend in with the group better than my lowracers, which are admittedly a bit anti-social.
Old 02-11-22, 07:17 AM
Henrius

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, I believe in diversity. I have SEVEN recumbents. The only kind I do not have is a MBB Cruzbike type. NEVER do I get the desire to haul out one of my two uprights to ride.

My fastest so far is a Rapbobike FWD low racer. But fast often means twitchy and punishing ride. I would never ride the Rapto on a century.

For long distance I would use my LWB faired Goldrush with Rotor crank.

The most comfortable so far is my old Vision R-40 USS, although my Barcroft Dakota with Tweener bars and Rans seat comes close.

My Rans V-Rex with suspension fork is not fast, but is a good errands around town bike, smoothing out the bumps.

My latest is a used Challenge Serian SL with USS. But like the Raptobike, it is twitchy and demands attention. I wrecked 2nd time out with it and broke a vertebra. I am going to fatter tires!

So I agree that variety is nice, and there is an optimum bike for every task. Don't have any desire for a trike, though. They are not practical for driving on the road and are hard to transport, heavier, and more expensive.

Last edited by Henrius; 02-11-22 at 07:22 AM.
Likes For Henrius:
Old 02-11-22, 02:17 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I think a trike with an aerodynamic cover would be a wonderful touring machine out West in cooler months but would be a bear in Appalachia.

Horses for courses.

I'd guess my preference would be 75% bents for touring and 25% uprights. Alps? Upright. Anywhere west of the Mississippi (except southern Misery), give me a good climbing bent.
Old 02-12-22, 02:20 AM
Henrius

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Kingpoo
Don't understand most of these comments. What is the big deal about rear view mirrors? Easy to mount except on USS bikes. Better than turning your head around anyway. Do you not use rear view mirrors in a car?

I have ridden my bents in Atlanta downtown traffic for 25 years. Get noticed more than upright bikes, especially with my high-end day taillights. Easy to put my feet down on both sides while still on the seat when stopped.

I have been hit identically by passing car mirror on upright bikes and bents. MUCH less damage on a recumbent, because your butt takes the impact. On uprights, it is over-the-handlebars your head goes. So many upright cyclists end up paralyzed in Shepherd Spinal Center in Atlanta. That being said, HighRacers are my least favorite bent because of the higher distance for your butt to fall.

Can't understand the comment of lack of tire sizes. Maybe not at your local shop, but there are all sorts of 20" tires from slim to fat available. Rear is usually 750, 26", or rarely 650. No shortage of tires there either. Schwalbe is my fav for puncture resistance.

You can never climb as fast on a bent because:

1. You cannot stand up and apply your weight to the pedals.
2. With the exception of MBB bents, you cannot utilize your arms to get the pedals down.

Bents win on flats and downhills every time, but lose on the uphills. But some bents like Cruzbike come close on uphills.

Bikes would be different if the notorious International Cycling Federation had not banned them from competition when a French cyclist started winning on one in 1934.
Old 03-04-22, 12:10 PM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Henrius
Don't understand most of these comments. What is the big deal about rear view mirrors? Easy to mount except on USS bikes. Better than turning your head around anyway. Do you not use rear view mirrors in a car?

I have ridden my bents in Atlanta downtown traffic for 25 years. Get noticed more than upright bikes, especially with my high-end day taillights. Easy to put my feet down on both sides while still on the seat when stopped.

I have been hit identically by passing car mirror on upright bikes and bents. MUCH less damage on a recumbent, because your butt takes the impact. On uprights, it is over-the-handlebars your head goes. So many upright cyclists end up paralyzed in Shepherd Spinal Center in Atlanta. That being said, HighRacers are my least favorite bent because of the higher distance for your butt to fall.

Can't understand the comment of lack of tire sizes. Maybe not at your local shop, but there are all sorts of 20" tires from slim to fat available. Rear is usually 750, 26", or rarely 650. No shortage of tires there either. Schwalbe is my fav for puncture resistance.

You can never climb as fast on a bent because:

1. You cannot stand up and apply your weight to the pedals.
2. With the exception of MBB bents, you cannot utilize your arms to get the pedals down.

Bents win on flats and downhills every time, but lose on the uphills. But some bents like Cruzbike come close on uphills.

Bikes would be different if the notorious International Cycling Federation had not banned them from competition when a French cyclist started winning on one in 1934.
How about up hill into a really bad wind?
Old 03-04-22, 01:06 PM
Henrius

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
How about up hill into a really bad wind?
The more the headwind, the more advantage recumbents have, as they are usually more aerodynamic, especially low racers.

But again, one cannot stand on the pedals, so you are at a disadvantage going uphill.
Old 03-04-22, 07:36 PM
BlazingPedals

Saying that recumbents have a speed advantage is ignoring the sheer variety of recumbents. Some are more aero than upright, some are worse. A Bike-E or a ReBike will never be faster than a road bike. Neither will most trikes. The bents that can actually beat a road bike are few and far between.
Old 03-05-22, 08:39 AM
Henrius

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Saying that recumbents have a speed advantage is ignoring the sheer variety of recumbents. Some are more aero than upright, some are worse. A Bike-E or a ReBike will never be faster than a road bike. Neither will most trikes. The bents that can actually beat a road bike are few and far between.
You have a point. There might be 3 people in the USA that still ride their Rebikes. Never made any claims for trikes.

ON AVERAGE, the average recumbent is faster than the average road bike. Add a partial or full fairing and there is no contest.

But you are right, speed depends on the design of the bike. A low racer like the M5, Nocom, or my Raptobike FWD are the fastest, although the Cruzbike Vendetta with its reclined rider position may be almost as good.

If recumbents are not competitive speed wise, why did they bother banning them from competition? If you can't beat them, ban them, I guess.
Likes For Henrius:
Old 03-10-22, 11:33 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Henrius
You have a point. There might be 3 people in the USA that still ride their Rebikes. Never made any claims for trikes.

ON AVERAGE, the average recumbent is faster than the average road bike. Add a partial or full fairing and there is no contest.

But you are right, speed depends on the design of the bike. A low racer like the M5, Nocom, or my Raptobike FWD are the fastest, although the Cruzbike Vendetta with its reclined rider position may be almost as good.

If recumbents are not competitive speed wise, why did they bother banning them from competition? If you can't beat them, ban them, I guess.
Yes back in the early 30s a second level racer was beating all the level one racers. The old fools in the UCI probably encouraged by money under the table by DF bike manufacturers decided to declare that recumbents were not bikes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.