Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Terra Trike EVO - New version

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-21, 05:36 AM
Cornfield

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

My wife has had the Rambler based EVO for about three years. Hers has the Bosch motor and she has been pleased with it. I pulled the trigger on a new one for myself yesterday. I see that the new version is based on the Gran Tourismo. The test ride was very smooth.
hers came with straps on the pedals to prevent her foot from slipping off and getting caught underneath. The new one does not come with these straps. Should I get them?
another question is about mirrors. We ride mostly on an established bike trail. Are mirrors a worthwhile option?
Old 10-26-21, 08:00 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
Are mirrors a worthwhile option? Absolutely! It's a small price to pay for the ability to see behind you while making a left turn. It's difficult on most recumbents to turn your head and torso far enough to see behind you. My most recent trike, a Catrike 700 came with a mirror mounted at the end of the handlebars (a design since corrected by Catrike) so I made my own mirror mount to raise the mirror over the top of the left wheel where it was easier to use and more effective. I would not ride without this safety device.

Most trike riders use clipless pedals to avoid "foot suck" where your feet slip off the pedals and potentially get jammed against the crosspiece on the frame. I've never used clipless pedals on a recumbent but always use strapless toe clips. They are inexpensive and easy to install. $9 for a pair https://www.ebay.com/itm/373524546968. You may have a version of the Power Grips on the earlier trike. Quite a bit more expensive at around $25 per pair https://www.ebay.com/itm/362461280132.
Old 10-26-21, 08:53 AM
Cornfield

It looks like bar end is the only option for mounting a mirror on this bike. A photo of how you mounted yours would help me visualize your solution.
Old 10-26-21, 02:11 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
see private message for some possible solutions
Old 10-28-21, 05:15 AM
Cornfield

The trike was delivered yesterday. The mirror is mounted on the bar end and it works for me. My first ride was short, exhilarating. I find it awkward getting my ankles in the straps but think that I’ll adapt quickly. It reminds me of the “Green Machine” that my son had 45 years ago.
Old 11-07-21, 06:26 AM
Cornfield

The weather here has turned colder but we’ve ridden a bit anyway. I’ve equipped it with a Bluetooth speaker so that I can listen to so,e of my favorite music. During years of riding two wheel bikes with hand brakes, I’ve developed the habit of just using my right hand/rear brake. It’s not natural feeling but I need to use both of my brakes now.
Likes For Cornfield: