Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

India on a cycle - A repository of cycles and cyclists in India

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 02-07-22, 07:41 PM
blurcovenky

Bikes: 2006 Surly LHT / 2003 Look KG 461 / 1993 Novara Corsa / Trek 4300 / Handsome Devil / Cannondale ST 600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 20 Posts

Looking to create a repository of cycles and cyclists in India. Whether you live there or you are touring through the country post a picture of your cycle and the landscape. One of the biggest expanding market for two wheelers that are powered by fat and grit. This could be a thread to show-off your bike and your rides and inspire riders in the country and around the world.

Bangalore to Coimbatore ride. Firefox frame with bunch of nice components made for a beautiful ride.

. No 'strava' screen shots please.
Likes For blurcovenky:
Old 02-08-22, 07:12 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3648 Post(s)
Liked 5,381 Times in 2,732 Posts
A few years back there was an active BF poster who lived in India. Didn't seem to be a cycling paradise there. IIRC, he invested lots of effort in avoiding customs fees on bikes and stuff. Are you a member of a cycling club there and if so, does it function similarly to US clubs?
Old 02-08-22, 10:58 AM
blurcovenky

Bikes: 2006 Surly LHT / 2003 Look KG 461 / 1993 Novara Corsa / Trek 4300 / Handsome Devil / Cannondale ST 600

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
A few years back there was an active BF poster who lived in India. Didn't seem to be a cycling paradise there. IIRC, he invested lots of effort in avoiding customs fees on bikes and stuff. Are you a member of a cycling club there and if so, does it function similarly to US clubs?
I don't live in India now, I'm in the US for the next couple of years. But, I've been on the fringes of the bicycle industry and worked in a bike shop there until less than a year ago.

I commuted by bike mostly for the last 23 years there. It is a suicide mission everyday getting to work. But you kinda get used to it. I bike to work here and it seems monotonous and boring sometimes, without cars and motorcyclists riding just inches from you (often there is contact!).

There is a healthy and rapidly growing cycling community in almost every quarter of the country now. The younger generation has the interest and money and are willing to spend it on good bikes and components. I've sold a good number of S-works, Surly, BMC, Wiliers and Handsome bikes while I was there.

The government isn't really helping the cause though, cycles in India are labelled 'Luxury product' so the taxes to import are pretty steep. A year ago, the government banned all tire imports, hoping to help indian companies, but few Indian companies made good bike tires, that was another fiasco.

All said and done there is a lot of exploring to do in India by bike bon't expect bike lanes though. The only bike I would ride there is a gravel bike or a touring bike.
Likes For blurcovenky:
Old 02-08-22, 12:22 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by blurcovenky
The government isn't really helping the cause though, cycles in India are labelled 'Luxury product' so the taxes to import are pretty steep.
All imported cycles are "luxury"? That's bizarre. That's really a protective tariff, right?

Thanks, this is really interesting.
Old 02-08-22, 02:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by blurcovenky
I commuted by bike mostly for the last 23 years there. It is a suicide mission everyday getting to work. But you kinda get used to it. I bike to work here and it seems monotonous and boring sometimes, without cars and motorcyclists riding just inches from you (often there is contact!).
Who would want to commute on safe routes, right? I mean, if you arent fighting with traffic and litterally being bumped by vehicles, you arent living!***
Old 02-08-22, 05:17 PM
blurcovenky

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Who would want to commute on safe routes, right? I mean, if you arent fighting with traffic and litterally being bumped by vehicles, you arent living!***

Everyday an adventure. You don't have to go looking for one.
Old 02-08-22, 05:21 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1740 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
Looks a lot like South Korea in the late 70's. Controlled chaos.