Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Brief Editorial on Car Ownership

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 02-13-22, 09:01 AM
parkbrav

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 97 Posts

Soap box moment: any one check out the current price of gasoline in your city and then remember that you bike all year?
Likes For parkbrav:
Old 02-14-22, 08:08 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
It's not quite the same, WFH, but I saw some gas prices last week and remembered the last time they were this high. At that time I was saving $100 a month bicycle commuting, and felt free to spend it on shorts, gloves, and the various accoutrements of cycling. This time I may just buy another bike.
Old 02-14-22, 01:53 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 406 Posts
Every time I start worrying about the price of gas, I do the math. I drive about 12,000 miles a year and my car averages 32mpg in the long run. That implies 375 gallons per year. So, if prices go up a dollar per gallon, that's an incremental $375 per year, which is less than $32 a month. THAT is not where I'm getting hurt. Food is what's kicking me in the, ah, "shins". I almost barked out loud in the market the other day when I saw the price/pound of sirloin. The effects of food cost increases are hitting me A LOT harder than gas prices. "Yeah, honey, burgers sound great."
Old 02-14-22, 02:15 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I have roughly 10 mile RT, from where I drop off the kids and park the truck and begin my ride, to work. I've got a "9/80" schedule so that's 90 miles a paycheck and 2340 miles a year if lucky. Said truck gets awful 13 mpg city on premium. So potentially that's 180 gallons a year saved, which might be like $600-900. Which is a nice metric but not determinant. I'm in it for the exercise.
Genesis 49:16-17