Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Broken rear axel on Miyata 618GT

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-22, 08:04 PM
univega.duder

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 18 Posts

Hi Bike Forum-

I recently noticed my rear tire rubbing the chainstay on my Miyata 618GT. I thought I might need the rear wheel trued but when I brought it to my local bike shop they determined the axel was broken. It’s a “Sansin Sealed System hub”. The bike shop suggested I purchase a new wheel but I’m wondering is it possible to just replace the axel? I have already replaced the skewer which was slightly bent. I’d appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!

Old 04-05-22, 08:10 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
That's old as hell. Take it apart and see if you can find one that matches...I'm betting it's possible. Post pics of the axle.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-06-22, 01:03 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
This might be a little tough. If your Sansin hub has cartridge bearings, (not cup/cone), the axle probably has a flange. I can’t imagine that axle is available anywhere.

You can probably find a complete rear hub and use the axle from it. I don’t have the background with those hubs to know you can use a Specialized or Sunshine cartridge bearing hub. I would imagine they are the same, but someone will have to confirm that.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 04-06-22, 04:32 AM
John Nolan 

Bikes: Raleigh Classic 15, 84; Miyata 912, 85; Miyata Ridge Runner SE, 85; Miyata 610, 86; Miyata 100M, 86; Miyata Valley Runner, 88; Miyata Triple Cross, 89; GT Karakoram, 90; Miyata Elevation 300, 91; Marinoni Touring, 95; Long Haul Trucker, 2013

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 80 Posts
I'd post in classic and vintage if I were you
Likes For John Nolan:
Old 04-06-22, 04:45 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
You may have to buy a hub off eBay and just swap the axle. There are plenty of Sansin hubs out there. It may not even be proprietary so any "parts drawer" axle might work. Post a picture of the broken axle.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 04-06-22, 06:42 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 429 Posts
I believe the "Sealed System" is just some O-rings on conventional cones on a conventional axle. Your LBS or bike co-op will have a drawer full of those.

Bent and broken rear axles are pretty common on freewheel hubs of that era. If you want a stronger wheel and have money available, replace it with a freehub wheel. There's less bending torque due to the bearings being closer together.
Likes For andrewclaus:
Old 04-06-22, 06:54 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
You need to determine what you have as "sealed". They also made Sunshine and many suntour hubs.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...intenance.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...onversion.html
Likes For dedhed:
Old 04-06-22, 08:09 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
I believe the "Sealed System" is just some O-rings on conventional cones on a conventional axle. Your LBS or bike co-op will have a drawer full of those.
I believe andrewclaus is correct. I had what I'm pretty sure were the same hubs that came OEM on an '85 Bridgestone 400 and they were conventional cup-and-cone bearings. Mine were spaced 126mm so, assuming the OP's are the same, he will need a 137mm long 10mm diameter rear axle which should be easy to find. If the axle for a 130mm hub (141mm long) is all he can find it could easily be cut down as needed.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 04-06-22, 08:46 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1135 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 951 Posts
Just about any axel of correct length and diameter and tpi will work. You may have toothed washers to replace. Your wheel imo should only be replaced if cups are wasted. Shops in general don't like working on old groups, for them it can be a rabbit hole or toilet bowl of time. If your bike was French they would probably tell you to get a new bike.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 04-06-22, 08:54 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
As mentioned, axles are available but finding a quality, strong replacement is a crapshoot if buying from Ebay and the likes and you really need a strong axle that won't break in a year. Wheels Manufacturing still sells quality axles but not cheap but still probably the least expensive fix. Wheels Manufacturing Hub Axles (wheelsmfg.com) Buying a new wheel gets a little complicated if you want a stronger freehub style hub as you'll at least need to add the cost of a cassette + possibly a few other parts and it's a good idea to spread the frame dropouts to accept the wider freehub.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 04-06-22, 11:09 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
Originally Posted by univega.duder
my local bike shop determined the axle is broken. They suggested I purchase a new wheel.
Not a new bike?? Wow. They're really looking out for you!

This is why you should buy $100 worth of tools and do all the simple repairs yourself. Start by buying a couple $9 Park cone wrenches and a new axle (maybe one from Wheels Manufacturing). Check eBay for both. It's usually very simple. While you're at it, service the hubs if they need it.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 04-06-22, 11:13 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Hope you kept the old skewer. It's probably still a lot better than the new one you bought.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 04-06-22, 06:59 PM
univega.duder

Thanks all for the excellent suggestions. Here are pics showing the broken axle & bearings. I measured the axle and it appears to be ~135mm and spacing between ​​​​​​dropouts is ~126mm.

I was wondering if the the QR Rear Axle, 10mm x 1mm x 137mm from Wheels Manufacturing might work. Will the 2mm difference in length be problematic? The description says it's compatible with many Japanese rear hubs with 126mm spacing.
https://wheelsmfg.com/products/hub-p...s/axle-01.html

I also found this Wheel Master AQ-1000 Rear Axle Set, 135mm, QR x 126mm but it seems rather cheap. I'd prefer to get the strongest axle possible.
https://www.modernbike.com/product-2...RoCV4gQAvD_BwE

pics:

Broken axle

Length ~135mm

"sealed bearings"
Old 04-06-22, 10:54 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

I was wondering if the the QR Rear Axle, 10mm x 1mm x 137mm from Wheels Manufacturing might work. Will the 2mm difference in length be problematic?
1. Acquire a freewheel remover tool. After you get your new axle, you'll then want to remove the freewheel so you can service the hub easily.
2. Acquire the necessary cone wrenches so you can adjust the hub.
3. Remove the parts from the current axle and measure the length accurately. If you're not sure on the threading/pitch, just take the axle to your bike shop to measure that. Sometimes the shop will have a display so you can do it yourself.
4. Buy an axle from Wheels Manufacturing and new 25 grade balls for your hub.
5. If the new axle is too long, you can use a hacksaw to cut it. It's easier to cut down an axle that is substantially longer than what you need rather than just a couple millimeters too long. Cut it with a cone and locknut inside the cut, so when you remove them, they will clean the threads of the cut.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 04-07-22, 05:19 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked 3,388 Times in 2,051 Posts
4. Grade 25 balls, probably uses either 18 or 22 1/4" balls.
5. I'd lay the new axle in the drop outs and see if it's too long before installing. QR axle cannot protrude beyond the drop out or it won't clamp. A mm on each side, I'd probably use a grinder to shorten and the advice to thread on cone/nut to clean threads still applies.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 04-07-22, 06:01 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
The non-drive side cone looks a bit rough.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 04-07-22, 08:37 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 743 Posts
I also found this Wheel Master AQ-1000 Rear Axle Set, 135mm, QR x 126mm but it seems rather cheap. I'd prefer to get the strongest axle possible.
https://www.modernbike.com/product-2...RoCV4gQAvD_BwE
No, no, no. A decent set of just the cones will cost more than that. I'll also add to get your dropouts re-aligned as a broken axle usually causes them to bend which creates a bending/bowing force on your axle when the quick release is clamped and can cause it to break again. A shop has the proper tools and can do it for not too much $ or you can make your own tool which may cost almost as much as to pay the shop.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 04-08-22, 12:46 PM
univega.duder

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
1. Acquire a freewheel remover tool. After you get your new axle, you'll then want to remove the freewheel so you can service the hub easily.
2. Acquire the necessary cone wrenches so you can adjust the hub.
3. Remove the parts from the current axle and measure the length accurately. If you're not sure on the threading/pitch, just take the axle to your bike shop to measure that. Sometimes the shop will have a display so you can do it yourself.
4. Buy an axle from Wheels Manufacturing and new 25 grade balls for your hub.
5. If the new axle is too long, you can use a hacksaw to cut it. It's easier to cut down an axle that is substantially longer than what you need rather than just a couple millimeters too long. Cut it with a cone and locknut inside the cut, so when you remove them, they will clean the threads of the cut.
Thanks @SurferRosa for the excellent suggestions. I've ordered the Wheels Manufacturing axle and bearings. Looking froward to getting everything installed.
Likes For univega.duder:
Old 04-27-22, 08:51 PM
univega.duder

@SurferRosa I successfully installed the new axle and it's riding great!! I felt a nice sense of accomplishment learning a new skill. Thank you for all the instructions!
Likes For univega.duder:
Old 04-28-22, 09:43 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

it's riding great!! I felt a nice sense of accomplishment.
That's the icing on top of the cake. Nice work.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 04-28-22, 05:47 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
@SurferRosa I successfully installed the new axle and it's riding great!! I felt a nice sense of accomplishment learning a new skill. Thank you for all the instructions!
I’m glad you were able to fix the problem but, honestly, you are missing the root of the problem. Freewheel hubs are prone to bending and breaking. You should consider a replacement wheel with a freehub. It solves the problem and may just save your frame. I broke an axle on a Miyata mountain bike and it broke the dropout.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 04-28-22, 07:44 PM
univega.duder

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I’m glad you were able to fix the problem but, honestly, you are missing the root of the problem. Freewheel hubs are prone to bending and breaking. You should consider a replacement wheel with a freehub. It solves the problem and may just save your frame. I broke an axle on a Miyata mountain bike and it broke the dropout.
@cyccommute - Thanks for letting me know about freewheel hubs being prone to bending and breaking. Next time around I'll consider changing to a freehub and cassette! I'm hoping the Wheels Manufacturing axle may be a little stronger than the original axle. Time will tell.