Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

looking for a budget priced bike seat that's comfortable

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-22, 12:23 PM
alpharalpha

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

It's always been hit or miss with bike seats for me. I can't justify spending more than $50 on a seat--though that may have to change--usually the seat that came with the bike determined if it was comfortable or not. I've purchased a couple but they weren't comfortable.
I'm setting up a trainer and for whatever reason I feel the pressure from the seat a lot more than when riding outdoors so am looking for a better seat for this use.
Old 05-31-22, 01:01 PM
DownByLaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 4 Posts
I find the WTB Volt saddle that came with my Masi quite comfortable:

https://www.rei.com/product/168891/w...t-steel-saddle

Patrick
Likes For DownByLaw:
Old 05-31-22, 02:17 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,853 Times in 1,067 Posts

WTB Speed

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/biking/bike-saddle/wtb-speed

Old 05-31-22, 02:42 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
I ride a couple of the cheap Volts. I think of them as the generic “modern” saddle. One of mine was Kona-branded and I got it from the take-off bin at a LBS. They have worked well enough that I haven’t had to get into swapping them out.

Otto
Old 05-31-22, 03:45 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 1,562 Times in 728 Posts
Both those WTB saddles look good.

My butt's favorite cheap saddle is the Charge Spoon, though many asses disagree. 😉
Old 05-31-22, 06:19 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
IMO, points of contact, especially the saddle, are not the places to be frugal. Buy once, cry once, and take the saddle with you if you change bikes. For me it’s Brooks all day and twice on Sunday, but lots of folks like the offerings of SQ Labs for comfort and general ergonomics. I like their bars and grips, too.
Old 05-31-22, 06:21 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Thank me later. https://www.ebay.com/itm/13408603679...3ABFBMoJuVyqNg
Old 05-31-22, 08:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Is your current saddle properly fitted to you? Is the height correct? Angle good? Setback good? That could be an issue and why you are having pain issues.

It could also be the saddle sometimes it is but sometimes it is just the bike is not fitted for you so things could be off and that is causing the issues not the actual saddle but the position of everything. I would see a fitter and get that set up and if the saddle is still problematic I would then talk with the fitter figure out sit bone width and what saddle might work well for you.

Rolla made a good point don't be frugal about touch points and yes the Brooks Cambium line is my favorite as well but every but is different.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-31-22, 09:04 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by DownByLaw
I find the WTB Volt saddle that came with my Masi quite comfortable:

https://www.rei.com/product/168891/w...t-steel-saddle

Patrick
I was going to recommend the same saddle. These come stock on a lot of bikes, and I find that they are my favorite saddle. There are cheaper and more expensive versions, but they all feel great to me.
Old 05-31-22, 11:03 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,605 Times in 2,909 Posts
This is an excellent saddle and is on sale. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075DJ624T...roduct_details

Old 06-01-22, 10:00 AM
DownByLaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
Both those WTB saddles look good.

My butt's favorite cheap saddle is the Charge Spoon, though many asses disagree. 😉
I have one of those as well and my ass likes it fine.

​​​​​​​Patrick
Old 06-01-22, 10:06 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by alpharalpha
It's always been hit or miss with bike seats for me. I can't justify spending more than $50 on a seat--though that may have to change--usually the seat that came with the bike determined if it was comfortable or not. I've purchased a couple but they weren't comfortable.
I'm setting up a trainer and for whatever reason I feel the pressure from the seat a lot more than when riding outdoors so am looking for a better seat for this use.
Be aware that just because somebody else likes a saddle doesn't mean it will work for you. I used to ride with two guys who constantly complained about their saddles, so they swapped. They both liked the "new" saddle that the other rider didn't like.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 06-01-22, 10:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Butts vary at least as much as feet, so I always find these threads the equivalent of asking "which shoes will feel best on me?"

That said, my butt prefers the WTB Silverado, and the steel rail version of that is under $50.
Old 06-01-22, 01:25 PM
alpharalpha

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I should've mentioned is for a road bike, part of the time in the drops, so a more forward position.
Old 06-01-22, 02:14 PM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
I decided to try a Charge Spoon ($40) on my newest build because I was trying to keep the total cost down, and I was pleasantly surprised. It's one of the more comfortable saddles I've tried, at any price.
Old 06-01-22, 02:19 PM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
I agree with veganbikes. Everyone is different, and maybe this doesn't apply to you, but for me the proper position of the saddle is far, far more important than which saddle I'm sitting on. I've ridden around 10 different saddle brands/models for thousands of miles each, and the only one that bothered me was the one where I wasn't paying attention and had the saddle too high (I was too stubborn and didn't check height first, I was sure I had it right). Once I corrected it to the right height it worked fine.

I've had saddles I liked better than others, but all of them were acceptable once they were set up properly. And be aware that the set-up can vary slightly from saddle to saddle. Although the differences may be subtle they can be very important. For example, my Brooks is set up noticeably lower than my Selle Italia, and the Brooks is more nose up instead of dead level. When switching saddles, you can use the set-up of your previous saddle as a starting point, but pay attention to how it feels and make adjustments as you go to get it right. When I get a new saddle, I ride with an allen wrench for a few rides and hop off when necessary to make adjustments. For me, although it's a pain it's worth it in the end (pun intended) to be finicky for a few rides to get this right.

I have the same experience as you vis a vis "riding" on a trainer. For whatever reason, when pedaling my bike on a trainer I seem to put more pressure on the saddle. To compensate, I've gotten into the habit of standing for 1 min every 10th minute that I'm on the trainer. I do the same when at the gym using one of the stationary bikes.
Old 06-01-22, 06:15 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by alpharalpha
I should've mentioned is for a road bike, part of the time in the drops, so a more forward position.
With that in mind, what angle do you have your seat at? Many people erroneously tilt the saddle forward thinking it puts less pressure on the front sensitive bits, but gravity does its thing and practically puts all your weight on them. Having the saddle close to level helps keep your weight on your rounder, wider, softer rear end.

FWIW I don't like to limit my budget on comfort or safety items like seat, shorts, or helmet. Of course I'll try the less expensive options first, but if they don't work I will suck it up and shell out a little more so I can actually enjoy riding.

Everyone's taste is different, but the following are fairly economical saddles which seem to get good reviews on the internet:
Fabric Scoop
Charge Spoon
Pro Logo Kappa
Almost anything by WTB
EC90 and other knock-offs of the Power
Knock-offs of the Turbo