Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Seller Assures Me That This Raleigh Pro is NOT Bent...

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 06-18-22, 08:25 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts

The last time I commented on an Ebay seller, I got my butt kicked here. Cannot say that I enjoyed that much but I did learn a thing or two about myself. Sadly, perhaps not enough learning because I feel the need to comment on this situation.

The above Raleigh Professional is offered on Ebay. The frame looks to be bent, to me, and I sent a message, to the seller, asking if it was bent. The seller responded, promptly I might add, by writing...

"No the frame in the front is curved, that's how the bike was built".

The seller has zero feedback and I cannot help but think that he, or she, might not really believe that the frame is compromised. I am also wondering why he or she thinks the bike is a Professional.

What do you think? Is this a Raleigh Professional and were road bikes ever made this way? I am thinking nope to both questions.
Old 06-18-22, 08:35 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
It certainly looks bent to me, and no, it's not a "Professional" model.

Couldn't even be bothered to pump up the tires for the picture.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 06-18-22, 08:37 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Very rare. Raleigh Capri with Stayer geometry.
Likes For Dylansbob:
Old 06-18-22, 08:45 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
The seller is incorrect.
Likes For iab:
Old 06-18-22, 08:51 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I've ever seen a Raleigh Pro with stamped dropouts and safety tab holes on the fork, let alone steel rims, nutted axles, brake safety levers, stem mounted shift levers, etc. It looks like a mid-1980s, entry level Raleigh Sportif to me. Ans that frame is definitely bent in the top and down tubes, just behind the head tube. Whatcha trying to pull, Randy? It's not April 1.
Old 06-18-22, 08:55 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,360 Times in 7,195 Posts

...this picture from another thread, but I had a kid come in with a fork bent just like this at the bike co-op when I was still working Saturdays. He had had it, and the frame he wanted to use it on, freshly powdercoated, and he wanted me to help him fit the fork to the frame (not the original fork), so he could make a fixie out of it. The fork needed the race milled, and to be rethreaded a few inches, then shortened. I tried to explain that it was so bent that I was not comfortable straightening it, and that I was sorry about the powdercoat expense, but he really needed to find another fork. Couldn't be done. He insisted it was a custom fork, he liked the curves, and everything was fine...I was mistaken.

IIRC, he finally badgered that day's manager into doing those operations for him. I had moved on by then.

About a month later he came back in to post an image of the finished fixie, which had been stolen from a bike rack out in front of one of the local brew pubs. He really wanted to get it back, with the custom fork and all, because he liked the way it rides. So there you go.
Old 06-18-22, 09:24 AM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 351 Posts
Frame is bent to be sure! It’s smashed pretty hard. The bike is a lower end model called “Sportif” and not a Professional. I’ve had a couple of Sportif bikes come through my hands and they are not built this way. I own two Professionals, an MKIV and an MKV, they’re not built this way either. The top tube even says “Sportif”. It’s also a Taiwan built Raleigh Raleigh USA model and not a made in Worksop England bike so it’s really not even from the same company.

Last edited by Pcampeau; 06-18-22 at 09:35 AM.
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 06-18-22, 09:47 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Originally Posted by T-Mar
I've ever seen a Raleigh Pro with stamped dropouts and safety tab holes on the fork, let alone steel rims, nutted axles, brake safety levers, stem mounted shift levers, etc. It looks like a mid-1980s, entry level Raleigh Sportif to me. Ans that frame is definitely bent in the top and down tubes, just behind the head tube. Whatcha trying to pull, Randy? It's not April 1.

What am I trying to pull? Nothing but it does bug me to see such blatant claims and then responses on Ebay. I see this sort of thing, now and again, and feel the need to start a conversation about it. The last time I did get my butt kicked by fellow forum members. To that add that there is a weird looking fork, seen now and again, that turns out to be the real deal. I would have thought it to be badly bent but that is not the case.

While on this subject of bent or not bent, I will be offering twenty bucks for a late sixties Legnano Gran Premio on Monday. Why twenty bucks? Bent and rusted frame and fork, missing and/or rusted components but a decent set of Universal 61 brake calipers and levers, a proper Legnano seat post clamp bolt (rare item) and a lovely original head badge (I will put the badge on the For Sale forum if the seller goes for my offer).

Back to what I am trying to pull. What really bugs me is isolation! My wife and I, both in our mid seventies, and being kinda ill (heart conditions, blood condition, lung condition, arthritis and diminished immune system), have spent the last year and a half not going to Jamaica and self isolating at our cottage on the shore of Loon Lake. I am only trying to get in a little social interaction with like minded people who enjoy vintage road bikes. And the folks here, at Bike Forums, are my primary source of social interaction. My front yard and Loon Lake in the back ground (where my son, when seven and a half years old, caught a 7+ pound bass, right off of the end of my dock many years ago and I still carry a picture of him trying to hold it up at arm's length)...
Old 06-18-22, 09:47 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,360 Times in 7,195 Posts
Old 06-18-22, 09:59 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
I get it, Randy. I think there are times when we all encounter stupidity, deceitfulness, and/or woeful ignorance, and feel compelled to grab the arm of an acquaintance and go, "Can you believe this fool?" That bike very obviously has severe front-end damage.

Not long ago there was a thread on here where a member bought a Motobecane Grand Record from an eBay seller. In that thread the pictures posted showed that the frame was bent. It was unmistakable. The frame was white with blue graphics. Well, the OP sent the frame back, presumably (hopefully) for a refund. Wouldn't you know it, that frame was back up for sale on eBay with no claim of frame damage. I messaged the seller to call out the damage and never received a response.
Old 06-18-22, 10:36 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
ebay dropped the publication of questions and answers. That is too bad.

Perhaps it is the Salvador Dali signature version?
Old 06-18-22, 11:29 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,045 Times in 1,252 Posts
Obviously not a Pro and obviously bent. Zero feedback?. Nothing to discuss.
Likes For clubman:
Old 06-18-22, 12:08 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1825 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
I think it was yesterday when I sent this seller a comment that this frame was bent and should be disclosed. No reply that I've noticed yet. Considering the zero feedback, I figured the seller might honestly not know it was bent. I just hope there's not a buyer that is similarly clueless and wants to buy it.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 06-18-22, 12:23 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3865 Post(s)
Liked 6,451 Times in 3,191 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
What do you think?
I think there's already a thread for this:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...y-ads-844.html
Old 06-18-22, 12:42 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,088 Times in 637 Posts
Not a Professional. Not a 'bent. Obviously IS bent.

If someone buys it from him based on the listing and his response that it isn't bent, e-Bay (the company) will not be kind to him. If anyone is interested in a donor bike that's bound to eventually only cost you the hassle of getting your money refunded...
Old 06-18-22, 12:44 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Randy, you should report the item if you’re concerned. Otherwise, come on, you know better than to trust a seller like this.
Old 06-18-22, 01:16 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
A thief wil steal and a murderer will kill, but you never really know where you stand with a liar.
Old 06-18-22, 01:16 PM
uncle uncle

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 140 Posts
I think you did right Randy. You made them aware of it, and they responded with an opinion that doesn't align with yours. What other recourse do you think there is for you in this matter, that you think you could provide novice bike purchasers? I know I sometimes don't take the advice of others well, I'm combatant at first, but later, upon reflection, replay their advice in my head. It hard to not be correct, and embarrassing, when put on the spot. But this world could use more "Randy's" among us, looking after us, and stepping up even when there is no benefit to themselves.
Old 06-18-22, 01:26 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3011 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
I did get my butt kicked by fellow forum members.
In the last thread you stated an opinion and for some reason didn't and still do not expect others to have a different viewpoint. This thread is a statement of fact, the frame is bent and it isn't a Pro.

Do you see the difference now?
Old 06-18-22, 03:49 PM
Schreck83 

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 160 Posts
Let’s be charitable and assume the seller is referring to the fork rake. His response assumes you know less about bikes than he does. Asking if the frame is bent is different than asking if the top tube is bent. Asking about the top tube may yield a different response. Of course this assumes the seller knows what a top tube is.

Likes For Schreck83:
Old 06-18-22, 04:09 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3865 Post(s)
Liked 6,451 Times in 3,191 Posts
Originally Posted by noobinsf
come on, you know better...
^ This.

I mean, come on.

Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 06-18-22, 04:10 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2295 Post(s)
Liked 2,045 Times in 1,252 Posts
You are far too tolerant. He was asked and then he asserted that the frame is straight. This is fraudulent, period. Deliberate or blatant ignorance of truth has become way too permissible imo.
Likes For clubman:
Old 06-18-22, 04:11 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,248 Times in 1,308 Posts
Yeah, this belongs in the Wacky thread. There's text that says Sportif right on the top tube. A seller that's lying about the model is one that will respond to your concerns about frame damage saying it's built that way. At the end of the day, it's a very poor scam by a very dumb seller and it can only work if they find someone dumber to buy the thing no questions asked. It's best not to engage directly with these people because their answers will only make you angrier, and nobody really needs that.
Likes For Clang:
Old 06-18-22, 04:40 PM
randyjawa 

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Over 11,000 posts and a member of BF for 15 years and are we really to believe you seriously were asking the forum if something is hinky with this bargain basement Raleigh Sportif?
Believe what you feel comfortable with. Read all of the posts and, hopefully, you will come to understand why I started the thread. To that add this - even after all my years of working on vintage road bicycles, it never surprises me when I learn something new. Thanks for pointing out the number of posts and number of years participating. I never thought to pay much attention to that information. Yup, something new every now and again.
Old 06-18-22, 05:01 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
Did the seller point out its for a more aggressive riding position?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.