Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

higher speed wheel options

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 06-19-22, 12:43 PM
podric

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi,
I am the guy that always fails the Monty Python test "what is your favorite color?"
So buying things can be difficult for me : - )

I have an option on an ebike: 26x4 or 27.5x3. rear hub 750W drive. Bike is a Biktrix Juggernaut Duo
Mostly it will be urban streets, occasionally a pot hole and sometimes the untraveled paths a few times a year, I used to ride a dirt bike but never a street bike.
I was leaning towards the 27.5 because it gives me the option of a lighter wheel and greater battery distance.
I may occasionally have it ungoverned so while 32Km/hr is the limit I may do 40 or 50 if feeling brave.

26x4" seems to be popular so is going with 27.5 x 3"

thank you.
Old 06-19-22, 01:08 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
IMO, fat tires look cool, but unless you're going to ride on sand or snow there is no reason for them. Should you ever get a flat tire, you'll find another compelling reason not to get them.
Old 06-25-22, 11:29 AM
BiciMan

Bikes: '97 Bianchi CDI, '97 Specialized RockHopper, '13 Specialized Sirrus Pro, '13 Trek 8.5 DS, '13 BH EasyMotion NeoXtrem, '14 Trek Domane, '86 Schwinn AirDyne ;)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 21 Posts
I have 26" wheels on my "mountany" bikes, but I've never tried fat tires. At 50 pounds, my bike is heavy enough, and yours is more than 10 pounds heavier. Of course, your motor is more than twice as powerful as mine, so you'll be in a different category anyway. I think if I was going heavy anyway, I'd probably opt for the once-in-motion rolling advantage of the 27.5s, especially if they're lighter (assuming that doesn't mean more delicate!),