Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek DS owners thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek DS owners thread

Old 08-29-21, 04:36 PM
qrtzoj

Bikes: Dual Sport 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Perhaps, unless they're yakking away or they have earbuds on.
Old 09-24-21, 12:04 AM
roguex

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I'm looking at getting a 2022 Dual Sport 3 when they are in stock and was wondering what's the biggest size tire I can fit with fenders. I saw a guy on youtube say he put 2" or 50c tires on there but he said it was a bit tight. Trek say max is 45c with fenders though. Just wondering what users here have managed to use. Thanks
Old 09-27-21, 03:27 AM
poiuyt

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by roguex
Hi, I'm looking at getting a 2022 Dual Sport 3 when they are in stock and was wondering what's the biggest size tire I can fit with fenders. I saw a guy on youtube say he put 2" or 50c tires on there but he said it was a bit tight. Trek say max is 45c with fenders though. Just wondering what users here have managed to use. Thanks
Trek says 2.1/55mm max without fenders ...but a point to bear in mind is that the rims might not be optimal for so wide tires. I have a 2020 DS 3, the stock rims have a 17mm inside width, I don't know if they kept this spec in the 2022. According to a chart of WTB that I cannot link to, fitting anything larger than 30mm is suboptimal (included the stock tires...).

That being said, I don't know what you plan to do with your bike (more on the leasure side or the sport side), but to my experience, the DS is in the same niche as gravel bike, a bit more on the "off-road side", but not much more. The transmission is not spec'ed to go with the kind of terrain that goes with the wider tires, if you go the sporty way. For leasury ride, it should be fine though.

Last edited by poiuyt; 09-27-21 at 03:51 AM.
Old 09-27-21, 04:39 AM
roguex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by poiuyt
Trek says 2.1/55mm max without fenders ...but a point to bear in mind is that the rims might not be optimal for so wide tires. I have a 2020 DS 3, the stock rims have a 17mm inside width, I don't know if they kept this spec in the 2022. According to a chart of WTB that I cannot link to, fitting anything larger than 30mm is suboptimal (included the stock tires...).

That being said, I don't know what you plan to do with your bike (more on the leasure side or the sport side), but to my experience, the DS is in the same niche as gravel bike, a bit more on the "off-road side", but not much more. The transmission is not spec'ed to go with the kind of terrain that goes with the wider tires, if you go the sporty way. For leasury ride, it should be fine though.
To the best of my knowledge the rims on the 2021-2022 are 19.5mm inner width I could be wrong.
The 2022 ds3 has the Deore 10 speed groupset which is a mountain bike groupset. I am mainly going to use it for commuting on some pretty badly maintained paths and gravel/grass/nature strips. Biggest jump would be off the kerb on the side of the road. I might also convert it to an ebike down the track
Old 09-27-21, 07:05 AM
poiuyt

Originally Posted by roguex
To the best of my knowledge the rims on the 2021-2022 are 19.5mm inner width I could be wrong.
The 2022 ds3 has the Deore 10 speed groupset which is a mountain bike groupset. I am mainly going to use it for commuting on some pretty badly maintained paths and gravel/grass/nature strips. Biggest jump would be off the kerb on the side of the road. I might also convert it to an ebike down the track
The Deore 10speed in indeed sold as a MTB groupset, but there is a 40T chainring in front and the DS has 40mm gravel tires. My point was that a 40T chainring coupled with a 11/46 cassette with 40mm tires is functionally closer to gravel bikes (where 1x bikes have 40T chainrings with 11/42 cassettes) than MTBs. A typical MTB with the M5120 would have a 30T/32T chain ring, and probably 2.25in tires. So, yes, you can fit larger tires but the extra friction may defeat the purpose of the 40T chainring. If you want to take advantage of this 40T chainring — which the force of the DS, my experience is that big tires are not the best compromise. But as usual, the compromise depends on where you place the cursors. The DS is quite versatile in this regard.

Last edited by poiuyt; 09-27-21 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-28-21, 04:47 PM
RingSteel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm a fairly new rider, currently building up miles on an older D2 mountain bike and wanting to buy a Trek Dual Sport 3 - which is going to be unavailable for a long time.

Would it be a mistake to consider a Polygon Xtrada 6 2x11 bike instead?
Mostly will be used for bike paths, with some occasional trails/gravel.
Old 09-29-21, 02:07 AM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by RingSteel
I'm a fairly new rider, currently building up miles on an older D2 mountain bike and wanting to buy a Trek Dual Sport 3 - which is going to be unavailable for a long time.

This is only my opinion:

You have a bike now, and you’re listing after another. If you’re able to keep riding the bike you’re on, then order the bike you want and wait. If you need a new bike now, get what ever is available. You will have less regret this way.
Old 09-29-21, 08:34 AM
RingSteel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by M Rose
This is only my opinion:

You have a bike now, and you’re listing after another. If you’re able to keep riding the bike you’re on, then order the bike you want and wait. If you need a new bike now, get what ever is available. You will have less regret this way.

thank you.
Old 09-30-21, 01:47 AM
poiuyt

To complete the previous answer (to which I agree), the key point to me is to see what you want to do with your bike: bike paths and trails can be ridden with different attitudes: leisure or sport (to simplify). Also, if you don't use your bike to commute, you have more freedom to choose were you ride: an MTB will more enjoyable on trails, and you can choose your rides accordingly.

Another way of looking at your question is to see if you want a DS for what makes it "special". The "special" feature of the DS — for me (and a few other competitors, like the giant Roam) is the combination of a transmission functionally closer to a gravel bike than a MTB, flat bar and light front suspension. If you lean more towards the MTB side, taking a MTB can be a valid option, and you can tweak it a bit to make it closer to a DS (mostly installing thinner tires). But matching the transmission of the DS will be very difficult (especially with the current shortage, I searched quite a bit and it's only possible with some combinations in the very expensive range, if the parts are available): MTBs don't have the clearance to install a 40T chainring, and the geometry may not allow to take advantage of it anyway. Same reasoning with a gravel bike: if you want a flat bar and front suspension, it will be very difficult to find (or very expensive). But to take advantage of this combination, better to have a fast enough riding style (20mph on flat), if it's not your plan a MTB (eventually with gravel-ish tires) with a smaller chainring can do the job very well too, and maybe more comfortably.

Last edited by poiuyt; 09-30-21 at 05:25 AM.
Old 10-08-21, 09:46 AM
zurcenegue

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS 4, 2019 Trek DS4

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Upgrade Trek DS 4

Hello

I've been using my 2019 DS4 on road pavement for a quite a while. When I used it on our nearest single track trail(not too MTB technical, I'm not planning to jump my bike ) and in Gravel Road(Grade 1 and Grade 2), I just found out that suspension and tires 700X38C cannot handle these road efficiently
So I decided to upgrade the front suspension into Air Suspension SR SUNTOUR NRX-E RLR Fork 700C 75mm Remote QR 9mm and WTB Riddler 45C.

I believe this upgrade will make our DS to be complete that can handle Single Track Trail and Gravel Road that I can say it will transform our Bike into Dual Sports/Cross Country Bike.

My upgrades are underway and I will post my bike once the item is in place on my bike.

Let me know your honest opinion about the upgrade. I just want to expand the capability of our DS.

Thanks.
Likes For zurcenegue:
Old 10-10-21, 01:08 AM
poiuyt

If your current tires are the stock ones: those are the weak point, not the suspension. The switch to 45mm tires with deeper threads (especially if you run them tubeless) will transform how your bike handle off-road.

The suspension is more complex. On the plus side, there is additional 12mm of additional travel and the switch to an air suspension. On the minus side, modifying the geometry and a risk voiding the warranty. Personally, it's not the choice I would have done. On the suspension itself, I would rather have chosen something like the Paragon Gold with 65mm of travel and that is actually lighter — and still offer the benefit of the air suspension. You would then only 'loose' the 12mm, but I think it's a minor benefit with potentially big drawbacks — gravel bikes often don't have suspension.

But for the budget, if you want to increase versatility, the choice I would have done is a second set of wheels: if you are still riding on roads, you could keep the stock wheels with tires on the road side and you can equip the second pair of wheels with tires further on the "off-road" side. A side benefit of that would be that you'll increase the inside width of the rims, which is better for large tires (the stock rims on the 2020 DS have an inside width of 17mm, which is not ideal for 45mm tires, even if it works).
Old 10-10-21, 07:06 PM
zurcenegue

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Trek DS4 Upgrade

If your current tires are the stock ones: those are the weak point, not the suspension. The switch to 45mm tires with deeper threads (especially if you run them tubeless) will transform how your bike handle off-road.

The suspension is more complex. On the plus side, there is additional 12mm of additional travel and the switch to an air suspension. On the minus side, modifying the geometry and a risk voiding the warranty. Personally, it's not the choice I would have done. On the suspension itself, I would rather have chosen something like the Paragon Gold with 65mm of travel and that is actually lighter — and still offer the benefit of the air suspension. You would then only 'loose' the 12mm, but I think it's a minor benefit with potentially big drawbacks — gravel bikes often don't have suspension.

But for the budget, if you want to increase versatility, the choice I would have done is a second set of wheels: if you are still riding on roads, you could keep the stock wheels with tires on the road side and you can equip the second pair of wheels with tires further on the "off-road" side. A side benefit of that would be that you'll increase the inside width of the rims, which is better for large tires (the stock rims on the 2020 DS have an inside width of 17mm, which is not ideal for 45mm tires, even if it works).
Thank you for your in depth analysis. Yes I agree with your suggestion especially for the Fork.

Actually, I have been eyeing Rockshox Paragon gold 65mm Air suspension pork. But my only concerns about this fork is the durability of the Remote Lockout mechanism. To the best of my knowlwdge I have seem failures Rockshox Remote Lockout unlike Suntour Remote Lock Out working great so far. I alwats use remote lock out. A lot dependung on the trail. If it is uphill and road. I will lock out. If it off road.I will unlock simple as that.

For the tires. I have been thinking that to have anothet set of wheels. But I felt like it is going to be expensive also. Actually I did buy another set of wheel last winter because I need a skinny tires(road bike) for my wahoo smart trainer using ZSWIFT because my stock tire is so loud because of the small knob. So I was force to buy a cassette(10 cog) for it to replicate what is my bike has.
(The reason why I buy anothet set of tires/wheels/cassette what if I wanted to go bike outside)

The reason why I also opted to buy the Suntour NRX- E air suspension 75mm is because it is looks the same as my stock suspension and the remote lock out is included. I will definitely use the REMOTE.LOCK OUT during my gravel ride. rven though The 45C can actually absorb it because there are still bumps. But for light gravel, I don't need the suspension. That is why havimg a remote lock out and Air suspension is a must for my personal requirement.

Now for the Single Track trail that is not too technical where most gravel bike can go. I csn say Having a wider tires and with tunable air suspension (of course with tuneble Rebound) will be blessing and comfortable. I can't imagine how these combination will work. Plus+ ypu are not loosing speed because WTB 45C roll fast also on pavement. Shimano Deore 2×10 will be good complement for the varsatility.

For the 75mm travel. With 12+mm travel.compa re to stock. What I can say this is plus factor for me on the On Road gravel/singletrack. For negative side. I'm not concern anymore voidng the warranty because my bike is 3 year old I bought it last 2018 eventhough it's a 2019 model. 😁
Old 10-10-21, 07:09 PM
RingSteel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Just wanted to update: I found a 2021 DS3 at a LBS, and bought it.
The shop didn't offer any setup suggestions for the fork suspension - other than "it's whatever feels good to you". Surely there should be some guidance for fork settings, right?
Old 10-11-21, 12:20 AM
poiuyt

Originally Posted by zurcenegue
For the 75mm travel. With 12+mm travel.compa re to stock. What I can say this is plus factor for me on the On Road gravel/singletrack. For negative side. I'm not concern anymore voidng the warranty because my bike is 3 year old I bought it last 2018 eventhough it's a 2019 model. 😁
I don't know about the 2019, but the 2020 has a lifetime warranty on the frame (at least for the ones sold in Europe). That's why I mentioned it actually.

When you say that the remote lock-out on the Paragon is not durable, is the lever or inside the fork?

About buying another cassette for a second pair of wheels: one other way of seeing it is that cassettes are a consumable and have to be replaced regularly (every 10000 miles/3 chains or so). Having a second cassette will allow to postpone the replacement on the other set of wheels.

Last edited by poiuyt; 10-11-21 at 03:32 AM.
Old 10-11-21, 09:25 AM
zurcenegue

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When you say that the remote lock-out on the Paragon is not durable, is the lever or inside the fork?
Both the LockOut and inside the fork. I believe it is not about only the RockShox Paragon but in RockShox lineup in general using Remote LockOut
Old 10-19-21, 07:58 AM
Anderone

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Turtleneck
LOOOONG time lurker here. Just picked up a 2021 DS4. Love it so far. Am using it to commute to work. Which brings me here, can anyone recommend a set of full coverage fenders that will work particularly with the front fork?

My local Trek shop tried installing a set of Bontrager NCS and while they are wide enough, the front fender doesn't mount very well since the mounting point on the fork is further away than the NCS front fender mounting point allows for. They tried rigging something up where they created a spacer to put in between the fork screw hole and the mounting tab of the front fork (hope that makes sense) to make up the gap but once you hit a few big bumps, it goes all out of alignment.

I've looked at SKS, Velo's, but I'm worried they would all have the same issue.

Gotta love how the Trek site claims the DS is easy to accessorize like adding fenders - yet they don't state which ones are compatible!
I know this is a year after you posted but may be my comment could help someone in the same position you were. The fenders I am using are the SKS Edge Al 46 and the matte black aluminum really suits well with the rest of the bike. I had to cut the fender stems a little for the front and buy some SKS Suntour adaptors to screw to the back of the fender. Other than that, the installation was a breeze.
Old 10-19-21, 08:21 AM
Anderone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hornfan77

Here's my 2021 DS 4 with the Rockshox Paragon Gold fork.
Hi that looks great.

I'm looking at upgrading to the Rockshox Paragon fork but I'd hate to spoil the stealth look the DS4 already has with a glossy fork. Are you able to confirm that the Paragon fork you have is the glossy black version? I found a matte black version online but the sales rep says it's not completely matte. I assume they just mean the stanchions aren't matte.
Old 10-21-21, 08:35 PM
Hornfan77

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Anderone
Hi that looks great.

I'm looking at upgrading to the Rockshox Paragon fork but I'd hate to spoil the stealth look the DS4 already has with a glossy fork. Are you able to confirm that the Paragon fork you have is the glossy black version? I found a matte black version online but the sales rep says it's not completely matte. I assume they just mean the stanchions aren't matte.
My paragon fork is the glossy black version but it hasn't bothered me. The Rockshox paragon fork is definitely a recommended upgrade over the original coil one.
Old 03-09-22, 10:16 AM
Old_SockMonkey

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport 3 (2022), Haro Flightline 29 Sport (2012)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cool Newbie here...

Just got a Dual Sport 3 (2022) and its bare bones. Just rode it 30miles on it's maiden voyage. I know being new means that I will have a sore bum until I get use to the new sport but I couldn't stand the saddle after 30miles but I also just had running shorts on. After getting lost in the excitement I forgot to pick up a helmet, lock, flat kit, spare tube, etc. So no restroom breaks...UGH!!! Seroisly thinking of upgrading to tubless tires any suggestions? Gonna be riding mostly asphalt/tarmac greeneways with an occassional light trails/gravel. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-09-22, 11:59 AM
poiuyt

Originally Posted by Old_SockMonkey
Just got a Dual Sport 3 (2022) and its bare bones. Just rode it 30miles on it's maiden voyage. I know being new means that I will have a sore bum until I get use to the new sport but I couldn't stand the saddle after 30miles but I also just had running shorts on. After getting lost in the excitement I forgot to pick up a helmet, lock, flat kit, spare tube, etc. So no restroom breaks...UGH!!! Seroisly thinking of upgrading to tubless tires any suggestions? Gonna be riding mostly asphalt/tarmac greeneways with an occassional light trails/gravel. Thanks in advance.
A padded short is indeed the first thing to buy with a DS3. Like all alu bikes, it's quite rigid, and the saddle is actually harder than lower DS models.

Tubeless tires will improve comfort, but at the cost of efficiency. If you are mostly riding on asphalt, the compromise is not worth it. The best upgrade I did in term of comfort is a carbon seat post.
Old 03-14-22, 03:12 AM
Piper J3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spacer...

This is my first post so not allowed to post photos yet. Stupid rule if you ask me…

I just replaced the cassette on my DS 8.5 and found a small spacer on the floor after removing the rear wheel. Almost looks like it would slip on the axle thru shaft. Spacer measures 0.302 OD x 0.202 ID x 0.087 W. I re-installed the rear wheel and everything looks good. Derailleur shifts correctly. Brake disc is centered in caliper with no drag.

Maybe spacer didn’t belong with bike and left over from previous project???
Old 05-16-22, 11:07 AM
Dadaiste

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Post Bontrager BackRack Deluxe MIK dimensional info

Hi! I really like your setup!
I find your post because I´m trying to find the dimensional info of your rack. I search the net but i really can´t find the answer.
I want to buy one of these Bontrager BackRack Deluxe MIK but im'm not sure if it will fit my bike (Cannondale SL2 29 2014)
I appreciated if you could tell me the widht at the point of contact whit the frame (near the axe of the wheel).
I have disc brakes like you but I'm not sure to have the necesary widht to fix the rack

Thanks a lot for your information
Old 01-10-23, 11:14 AM
1Soul2nv
1Soul2nv

Bikes: 2022 Trek Dual Sport 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blender 80mm stem

Originally Posted by Sunsanvil
I'm keen to hear from other owners what your height and DS size is, if you swapped out stem etc. I'm 5'-11.5" on the 21, swapped out the freekishly long 105mm stem for a 90 the day after I bought it. I'm wanting to try 75mm 25deg this summer to raise me up just a bit.

Anyone done any upgrades? Planning any? Who will be the first to try the RockShox Paragon on one of these?

I swapped out to a 80mm blendr stem from the generic 100mm one that came on the bike
Old 01-10-23, 05:16 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Soul2nv
I swapped out to a 80mm blendr stem from the generic 100mm one that came on the bike
Just FYI that post was from 2014. There are plenty of excellent currently active threads or threads like this that are ongoing but with recent posts but most folks generally would recommend against responding more than like a couple months later much less years and years unless super mission critical or you are updating your own thread. In many cases that long ago a lot of posters are gone or have moved on to different bikes or questions.
Old 05-09-23, 01:49 PM
Robfnq

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I’m new to this forum and hoping for some advice from DS owners. I have the DS3, it’s a 2019 model and has the 700 x 38 tires standard. Originally, I bought the bike primarily to commute to work, so bike paths mainly, a little gravel , nothing too rough. Now, I don’t do the commute and using the bike more gravelly and some more bumpy tracks. The bike is still in excellent condition overall, but I feel it would be best with some bigger tires to handle these conditions. Would I be better off putting on new tires , if so what max size without having any issues ? Or, am I better off selling and changing to a more mountain bike style, like Trek Marlin for example ? Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.