Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Winter jacket advice

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Winter jacket advice

Old 12-19-22, 02:50 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I'm a big fan of
  • riding what you have & wearing what you have
  • layers, so a thin outer shell (with pit-zips & back venting if possible) depending on the weather of the day, then a thermal layer, then a base layer, next to my skin (I might wind up w/ more than 3 layers total, especially if the top layer is just a bright wind vest)
Old 12-20-22, 11:32 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 407 Posts
Originally Posted by psycholist
So this is the jacket I've also depended on for over ten years of winter riding. Yesterday the main zipper gave it up and the jacket is useless and I am panicking about a replacement. So many new brands, so many new materials and the cost has only gone up. The Gorewear jacket was $$$$ but it had quality everything and got me easily down into the 20s before adding a layer of silk or whatever. If you had to replace yours today what would you go with? Showers Pass is looking interesting but IDK...
I just had "zipper fail" on a non-riding coat and found that the repair is surprisingly simple for vislon sliders, maybe that's what you have. (google: how to repair a vision slider). If the teeth are not damaged, you might be in luck.
Old 12-20-22, 01:04 PM
psycholist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
I just had "zipper fail" on a non-riding coat and found that the repair is surprisingly simple for vislon sliders, maybe that's what you have. (google: how to repair a vision slider). If the teeth are not damaged, you might be in luck.

oh my gosh...my friend you just very likely saved me over 200.00. It does look like the slider is all I need, and I had no idea there was a kit and that repair was that simple. You just made my day, no my winter. Thank you so much!
Old 12-20-22, 01:58 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by psycholist
So this is the jacket I've also depended on for over ten years of winter riding. Yesterday the main zipper gave it up and the jacket is useless and I am panicking about a replacement. So many new brands, so many new materials and the cost has only gone up. The Gorewear jacket was $$$$ but it had quality everything and got me easily down into the 20s before adding a layer of silk or whatever. If you had to replace yours today what would you go with? Showers Pass is looking interesting but IDK...
also I've had my local dry cleaner / tailor replaces various zippers. they may not be the exact same zipper, but you can keep using whatever the garment is
Old 12-21-22, 11:33 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked 840 Times in 407 Posts
Great. Glad that worked for ya. Repairing stuff is the secret to sustainability.
Old 12-21-22, 12:45 PM
psycholist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
Great. Glad that worked for ya. Repairing stuff is the secret to sustainability.

ran out last night and managed to find a repair kit and the jacket is back on the hangar, good as new. I had no idea a repair kit even existed or that it was even possible. Again, you saved me some serious bacon. As for repairing stuff, I totally agree but some of the technical materials jerseys and so on are made of just don't always take well to mending attempts. My favorite half-zip jersey started coming apart at the stitching around the zipper. I had a seamstress fix it and she did a good job but the quick-dry silky material had a bad pucker to it that made the logos look weird but hey...new 100.00 jersey just because the letters are crooked? Nah. Still wearing it. anyhow thanks again for the fix info!!
Likes For psycholist:
Old 12-22-22, 10:26 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
I've only experienced temperatures as cold as -22F one Winter in North Dakota and I did not bike. The clothing I wore kept me warm, but would not be good on a bicycle.