Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Lightest front and rear panniers

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Lightest front and rear panniers

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-22, 12:07 AM
PedalingWalrus

Bikes: Corvid Sojourner, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Co-Motion Divide, Co-Motion Java Tandem, Salsa Warbird, Salsa Beargrease, Carver Tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 227 Posts
Haha

QUOTE=stardognine;22668540]No doubt. 🙁 That's why I stopped using my cheap Axioms that I had a few years ago. Broke a nice bong, lol. 😉[/QUOTE]

Last edited by PedalingWalrus; 10-05-22 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-05-22, 07:42 AM
balrog687

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
check these ones, 130 usd/pair

https://www.choikebags.cl/producto/alforja/

300 grs per pannier, 20lts of capacity
Old 10-06-22, 02:37 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked 3,429 Times in 1,793 Posts
I don't know if they are amongst the lightest, but Lone Peak packs are reasonably light-weight, and have a good locking hook system.

They are not water-proof (which helps in the weight department), but are reasonably water-repellant.
Old 10-12-22, 04:30 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by KC8QVO
Just a thought from experience -

I am not sure "light" panniers are the best option.

Not that I like to, and not that I would want to expect this for anyone, myself included - I've gone down a few times on my bike. I have Ortleib panniers and they have survived.

If you have lower quality construction panniers you might end up ripping them to shreds if/when you go down.

Like I said - just a thought. Something to toss in the mix for a more thorough evaluation of your options, goals, and expectations.

Happy touring!
ditto, I’d rather reduce weight by reducing stuff carried than cutting weight from panniers that carry stuff. Instead of two sets of very light panniers use one set of tough panniers and a frame bag and med dry bag on rear rack.
Old 10-16-22, 09:09 PM
Kelly I

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Arkel Dry lite

Going back to the Arkel Dry Lites. I am reading that a main concern is the pannier staying attached to the rack on rough roads. My Arkels have hooks on the bottom of the panniers and also velcro straps fastening them to the racks. As a security measure, I also use a zip tie through the D rings on the top of the panniers. This would be extra insurance on the panniers not coming off, although I never felt the slightest concern about this.

You mention riding tandem. Capacity could be an issue. Roll top panniers (such as the Dry Lites) are more forgiving when you try and stuff them full after a grocery run, etc.

You might also consider the lightweight Rockgeist Microwave pannier. They would be especially helpful if you are a tent camper. you can remove the stuff sack of gear quickly, leaving the 'holster' on the bike.