Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Patching a cut tire - what do you think?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Patching a cut tire - what do you think?

Old 11-11-22, 05:57 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Great response! I think it odd someone will spend $6,000 on a bike but want to patch a large split in a tire. I could understand if the person is very poor, and has a $50 used bike, and can't afford new tires, then maybe patching a tire cut is something they can afford to do. I will patch a cut in an emergency out on the road with a Park tire boot, but it's just so I can get home to replace the tire; of course, if the tire cut is really small that didn't go through the cords, I'll fill it in with Gorilla Glue super glue from the outside to seal it, but if the cut goes all the way through, I will replace it.
Thanks and agreed. If I really had no money at all and was really putting all the money I did have into life and I couldn't afford a tire and had no other way of getting things going sure I would do what I could but in the end I might just go to a shop and ask if there is anything I can do to help them out to work out a deal for a tire and tune up or something or just see if they have some used tires anywhere that could work.

Originally Posted by 2old
FME, it's not people that are cheap, but bike riders. Why would anyone even consider riding with any safety-oriented component that is compromised? Aren't the conditions riding a two-wheeled vehicle dangerous enough with perfect equipment?
Bike riders are people. I mean I do a passable Arnold S. impression but I am still a flesh bag with blood and due to a cold a lot of mucus not a T100 cybernetic organism. There are some cheap non-cyclists out there as well. In terms of safety yes I don't get it either. It is a bit beyond ridiculous. We had a customer come in who needed a lot of work declined some very needed work to make the bike safe and instead wanted us to buy a very expensive brooks saddle and something else that wasn't needed and didn't make the bike safe. I think we eventually got him to do everything but the person talking with him the second time (or third time) should have declined the silly saddle and said approve the needed work, let's get that done and then we can get the saddle and other things.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 11-11-22, 06:07 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Bike riders are people. I mean I do a passable Arnold S. impression but I am still a flesh bag with blood and due to a cold a lot of mucus not a T100 cybernetic organism. There are some cheap non-cyclists out there as well. In terms of safety yes I don't get it either. It is a bit beyond ridiculous. We had a customer come in who needed a lot of work declined some very needed work to make the bike safe and instead wanted us to buy a very expensive brooks saddle and something else that wasn't needed and didn't make the bike safe. I think we eventually got him to do everything but the person talking with him the second time (or third time) should have declined the silly saddle and said approve the needed work, let's get that done and then we can get the saddle and other things.
There are uber cheap people everywhere. I used to work with a few. One guy would starve himself for more than a day before going to an all-you-can-eat restaurant so he would get his money's worth and gorge as much as he could.
Old 11-11-22, 06:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4323 Post(s)
Liked 3,945 Times in 2,638 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
There are uber cheap people everywhere. I used to work with a few. One guy would starve himself for more than a day before going to an all-you-can-eat restaurant so he would get his money's worth and gorge as much as he could.
That is good sense assuming you know how to really do a buffet properly. If you avoid the starches that fill you up and cost them little you are going to be OK. Though in the case of AYCE stuff you do want to have something in the tank especially things that are probiotic and good for digestion. During a buffet it is good to drink warm tea especially if eating a lot of fried foods. Too much cold liquid and can help the fat congeal and fill you up and make you sick. Plus tea is generally good for you.
Old 11-11-22, 07:02 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
RTFAMOI - that stands for "read those freely available manuals or instructions", right?
Yes, "freely"
Old 11-11-22, 07:06 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

That is good sense assuming you know how to really do a buffet properly. If you avoid the starches that fill you up and cost them little you are going to be OK. Though in the case of AYCE stuff you do want to have something in the tank especially things that are probiotic and good for digestion. During a buffet it is good to drink warm tea especially if eating a lot of fried foods. Too much cold liquid and can help the fat congeal and fill you up and make you sick. Plus tea is generally good for you.
Knowing him, he went straight for that meat or anything that's expensive.
Old 11-11-22, 07:09 PM
Camilo

RE: the sewn tire and general "cheapness". I agree some people are thrifty, some are cheap. There's a difference. But some people - like myself - just don't want to trash something that might have some useful life left. I just hate throwing away useful stuff. No, I'm not a hoarder. But I do occasionally put more time and effort into continuing to use something that any decent time/money analysis would say, toss it and replace it.

I don't buy bottled water, but fill up one of the many water bottles I own. Cheap or thrifty - yeah a little. Green? yeah a little. But mostly I hate throwing away water bottles that are not actually spent or unusable! That factor is what really rubs me the wrong way.

That said, I don't try to squeeze the last bit of life out of tires, whether they be bicycle or motor vehicle. I was interested in reading the OP's description of the sewn patch he did and felt kudos were in order, although i wouldn't do it.

And frankly, I don't think it is as dangerous as it could be on say, a road bike tire which has a lot less rubber and air volume and speeds on hard surface (for me) exceeding 40mph at times. But I'm a slow cautious MTB rider and if the rear tire blew out, I would just thump along for a few yards until I stopped. I wouldn't at all likely lose control and get hurt. Could be wrong. Other MTB riders, I'm sure, place different demands on their tires.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 11-11-22, 08:27 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by Camilo
I don't buy bottled water, but fill up one of the many water bottles I own. Cheap or thrifty.....
No, that's smart. Bottled water is one of the biggest ruses on the planet. Somehow people have been convinced that their tap water isn't good enough when in fact tap water has more stringent quality requirements than bottled water does. And as you say, terribly wasteful of resources.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 11-12-22, 11:37 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 199 Posts
Thanks and agreed. If I really had no money at all and was really putting all the money I did have into life and I couldn't afford a tire and had no other way of getting things going sure I would do what I could but in the end I might just go to a shop and ask if there is anything I can do to help them out to work out a deal for a tire and tune up or something or just see if they have some used tires anywhere that could work.

Agreed, again! If money is tight then why look at a $6,000 bike (example only) and forego safety equipment? that makes no sense to me either. If I could only afford a $6,000 bike and that's it, nothing left to buy safety equipment with, then I would be looking at a $5,000 bike instead, and spend the other $500 on helmet, lights, reflective clothing, etc.; and the other $500 to be used for other stuff I might need. Some people don't think that their brain is worth spending $100 or so on a helmet, if your brain is not worth $100 then fine, don't spend the money on a helmet...
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 11-12-22, 08:27 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

[QUOTE=Camilo;22708336]RE: the sewn tire and general "cheapness". I agree some people are thrifty, some are cheap. There's a difference. But some people - like myself - just don't want to trash something that might have some useful life left. I just hate throwing away useful stuff. No, I'm not a hoarder. But I do occasionally put more time and effort into continuing to use something that any decent time/money analysis would say, toss it and replace it.

I don't buy bottled water, but fill up one of the many water bottles I own. Cheap or thrifty - yeah a little. Green? yeah a little. But mostly I hate throwing away water bottles that are not actually spent or unusable! That factor is what really rubs me the wrong way.

That said, I don't try to squeeze the last bit of life out of tires, whether they be bicycle or motor vehicle. I was interested in reading the OP's description of the sewn patch he did and felt kudos were in order, although i wouldn't do it.

And frankly, I don't think it is as dangerous as it could be on say, a road bike tire which has a lot less rubber and air volume and speeds on hard surface (for me) exceeding 40mph at times. But I'm a slow cautious MTB rider and if the rear tire blew out, I would just thump along for a few yards until I stopped. I wouldn't at all likely lose control and get hurt. Could be wrong. Other MTB riders, I'm sure, place different demands on their tires.[/QUOTE

Plastic water bottles are recyclable. So are bicycle tires and tubes, they grind those up and put them into asphalt.
Old 11-12-22, 08:45 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Plastic water bottles are recyclable. So are bicycle tires and tubes, they grind those up and put them into asphalt.
That's not recycling, that's downcycling.

Plastic water bottles are still wasteful as they are being used for something that isn't necessary when you drink tap water. Lots of fossil fuel used to make plastics and many of these end up in the ocean, not recycled or even downcycled.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 11-12-22, 08:50 PM
Camilo

Yeah, I know that many plastic containers are recyclable. We send all the kinds that are allowed to the recycling center. But I still feel I'd just rather avoid them as much as possible. A little gesture. As for tires, I'm not aware of any bike tire recycling opportunity where I live. I do leave my old tires with the tire store, but I don't even know if they get recycled around here. I'll ask next time I'm there and if they'll take my bike tires and tubes, miniscule as it might be.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 11-12-22, 09:07 PM
rekmeyata

That's not recycling, that's downcycling.

Plastic water bottles are still wasteful as they are being used for something that isn't necessary when you drink tap water. Lots of fossil fuel used to make plastics and many of these end up in the ocean, not recycled or even downcycled.
is it better to down cycle or throw it all into a land fill?? As far as what your saying, have you checked the degree of non recycle stuff is in your CF bike? lots of fossil fuel went into those cf bikes, or are you riding a bamboo bike? https://www.bikeradar.com/features/t...bon-footprint/ Carbon fibers themselves are usually produce from polyacrylonitrile; this is a fossil-fuel based polymer and part of the acrylic resins; along with that CF is very energy intensive to produce, in fact it takes 40% more energy to make CF then it does to make stainless steel, and between 60 to 75% more than aluminum. So you can go on and on about plastic bottles, but one shouldn't throw rocks inside a glass house.
Old 11-12-22, 09:28 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

is it better to down cycle or throw it all into a land fill?? As far as what your saying, have you checked the degree of non recycle stuff is in your CF bike? lots of fossil fuel went into those cf bikes, or are you riding a bamboo bike? https://www.bikeradar.com/features/t...bon-footprint/ Carbon fibers themselves are usually produce from polyacrylonitrile; this is a fossil-fuel based polymer and part of the acrylic resins; along with that CF is very energy intensive to produce, in fact it takes 40% more energy to make CF then it does to make stainless steel, and between 60 to 75% more than aluminum. So you can go on and on about plastic bottles, but one shouldn't throw rocks inside a glass house.
False equivalency. Plastic water bottles are single use. Is your bike single use? No, a bike will last a decade or more.

And of course it's better to downcycle a plastic water bottle than to throw it into a landfill. But it's even better not to use it at all as it's unnecessary.

And BTW, i own bikes made of carbon fiber as well as steel and aluminum alloy. All have their strengths and weaknesses.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 11-13-22, 06:47 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
One time I switched a fat tire wheel to those stylish rims with holes inbetween the spokes. Didn't know I needed a PVC rim liner. Blew a hole right thru one of the open holes. X-shaped cut, about am inch across.Being cheap, I put a patch on the inside of the tube, and one on the outside too, It worked and has held fine, Relative to the 4" diameter of the tube, a 1" tear isn't that big. Maybe why it worked.
Old 11-13-22, 10:34 PM
rekmeyata

False equivalency. Plastic water bottles are single use. Is your bike single use? No, a bike will last a decade or more.

And of course it's better to downcycle a plastic water bottle than to throw it into a landfill. But it's even better not to use it at all as it's unnecessary.

And BTW, i own bikes made of carbon fiber as well as steel and aluminum alloy. All have their strengths and weaknesses.
This is a clear case of you refusing to accept the eco responsibility for the type of bike material you have chosen to use, and instead are trying to pass the blame off of yourself and back to plastic bottles. While a bike will last a decade of more you would have to consume a lot more bottles than a decade of use would be, and during that decade of bike you are consuming tires, tubes, handlebar tape, seats, plastic water bottles, etc.

Now look, I own quite a few bikes, I would have never brought up all of this had you not gone off on plastic bottles, which in the scope of things is really minor especially when you consider that most bottles these days are being recycled...but even that recycle process takes fossil fuel to do. In other words, there is nothing that you or I use that doesn't cost something somewhere in terms of eco pollution, even when we fart! And the reality is, we should be using glass bottles with a deposit fee, which we get back when we return the bottle instead of plastic bottles.
Old 11-14-22, 12:40 AM
Camilo

I can't apologize enough for mentioning water bottles in #31 and not realizing the danger I'd created in my #36. But I sincerely was trying to discuss thriftiness and tires, not water bottles.

But I'll have to say, the participants in this discussion contest obviously are well hydrated.
Old 11-14-22, 07:01 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

This is a clear case of you refusing to accept the eco responsibility for the type of bike material you have chosen to use, and instead are trying to pass the blame off of yourself and back to plastic bottles. While a bike will last a decade of more you would have to consume a lot more bottles than a decade of use would be, and during that decade of bike you are consuming tires, tubes, handlebar tape, seats, plastic water bottles, etc.

Now look, I own quite a few bikes, I would have never brought up all of this had you not gone off on plastic bottles, which in the scope of things is really minor especially when you consider that most bottles these days are being recycled...but even that recycle process takes fossil fuel to do. In other words, there is nothing that you or I use that doesn't cost something somewhere in terms of eco pollution, even when we fart! And the reality is, we should be using glass bottles with a deposit fee, which we get back when we return the bottle instead of plastic bottles.
It's a matter of using something that is totally unnecessary like single use plastic water bottles. And while many of them are recycled or downcycled, still many of them end up floating in the ocean. How many bikes, tubes, handlebar tape and saddles are floating in the ocean? Most of those have a much longer useful life. I agree with you on glass bottles. I remember those days when we would take back the old soda bottles and they would actually be cleaned out and re-filled. Of course glass bottles aren't the best thing on a bike.

As I said (in case you weren't paying attention before), I am not a proponent of any bike frame material over another in general. I own carbon fiber bikes, CroMo steel bikes and aluminum bikes. My latest purchase was in 2017 when I bought a new Reynolds 631 Jamis Renegade Exploit gravel bike.
Old 11-14-22, 08:32 AM
rekmeyata

It's a matter of using something that is totally unnecessary like single use plastic water bottles. And while many of them are recycled or downcycled, still many of them end up floating in the ocean. How many bikes, tubes, handlebar tape and saddles are floating in the ocean? Most of those have a much longer useful life. I agree with you on glass bottles. I remember those days when we would take back the old soda bottles and they would actually be cleaned out and re-filled. Of course glass bottles aren't the best thing on a bike.

As I said (in case you weren't paying attention before), I am not a proponent of any bike frame material over another in general. I own carbon fiber bikes, CroMo steel bikes and aluminum bikes. My latest purchase was in 2017 when I bought a new Reynolds 631 Jamis Renegade Exploit gravel bike.
The reason, and disgusting reason, so many plastic bottles are in the ocean is because the US has contracts with Chinese recycle companies to take our plastic trash, so that thrash gets bailed and put on Chinese barges to go to China, somewhere along the route back to China the ship crew starts dumping that plastic in the ocean, the reason they are told to do this is because China has more plastic then they can recycle so they just dump it in the ocean!
Old 11-14-22, 08:58 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

The reason, and disgusting reason, so many plastic bottles are in the ocean is because the US has contracts with Chinese recycle companies to take our plastic trash, so that thrash gets bailed and put on Chinese barges to go to China, somewhere along the route back to China the ship crew starts dumping that plastic in the ocean, the reason they are told to do this is because China has more plastic then they can recycle so they just dump it in the ocean!
IOW, lots and lots of plastic does NOT get recycled or even downcycled. And now China has stopped taking our "recyclables". Question is where are all these recyclables going now? Many are ending up in regular trash in landfills.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 11-14-22, 09:23 AM
rekmeyata

IOW, lots and lots of plastic does NOT get recycled or even downcycled. And now China has stopped taking our "recyclables". Question is where are all these recyclables going now? Many are ending up in regular trash in landfills.
That is correct, the same thing is happening with aluminum, China has more aluminum trash then they know what to do with, so they've been dumping it illegally according to West standards even though, like plastic, the US has contracts with China to take the aluminum trash. If the US ever gets it's head out of its arse we could eliminate a lot of plastic and aluminum trash by going to glass bottles with a deposit.
Old 11-14-22, 03:46 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

That is correct, the same thing is happening with aluminum, China has more aluminum trash then they know what to do with, so they've been dumping it illegally according to West standards even though, like plastic, the US has contracts with China to take the aluminum trash. If the US ever gets it's head out of its arse we could eliminate a lot of plastic and aluminum trash by going to glass bottles with a deposit.
I agree. However, I cannot comment any further on this without getting into a political discussion which I'm sure isn't allowed here.
Old 11-14-22, 04:57 PM
alexk_il

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by alexk_il
Got my first tire cut. Someone recommended to patch the tire rather than replacing it. So is doing this or something similar worth it or is it too dangerous?
​​​
OP here... A quick status update.

So, decided to patch my cut tire just to see if it works. Pure curiosity, I am an engineer after all. 😁

​​​​​In a brief, it looks ok when the tire is off the wheel, but it doesn't look great if I put it on the wheel and pump it up properly.

I guess it will last longer than the famous dollar bill patch trick, but I won't trust the tire for any purpose rather than to get home on a cut tire.

Thanks to all who replied.
​​​​​
Likes For alexk_il:
Old 11-15-22, 09:52 AM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I agree. However, I cannot comment any further on this without getting into a political discussion which I'm sure isn't allowed here.
My comment had nothing to do with politics, just stating a fact that has made the news. I guess if this forum mod took it to be political well then they would also have to take all references made by all responses in regards to plastic bottles damaging the environment, and comments made about recycling to be political, they have not done that yet so I think we didn't cross the line. I don't consider being eco-aware to be political unless it's bashing or praising one political party, or a political person(s). So as long as you keep politics out of what you were going to say, you should be ok?
Old 11-15-22, 12:27 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by greatscott
My comment had nothing to do with politics, just stating a fact that has made the news. I guess if this forum mod took it to be political well then they would also have to take all references made by all responses in regards to plastic bottles damaging the environment, and comments made about recycling to be political, they have not done that yet so I think we didn't cross the line. I don't consider being eco-aware to be political unless it's bashing or praising one political party, or a political person(s). So as long as you keep politics out of what you were going to say, you should be ok?
I was replying to rekmeyata in post #45, not your comment.