Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Lock Your Bike? NYC Casualty

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Lock Your Bike? NYC Casualty

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-21, 08:48 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
No guarantees these days with cordless chop saws . I don't leave my bike without eyes on it.If my wife and I are riding together , one goes in the store , the other watches the bikes.When I'm alone I don't go in. Sad , but the only prevention I know of.Even cheap bikes get stripped around here , sometimes down to the frame. Plenty of times I have seen bare frames chained to a post by a bus stop. I would think someone saw something, but ya never know.Most of my bike collection is at my shop , I only keep about four bikes in my garage and I hate opening the door when anyone is around, paranoid? YEA!!
Old 06-16-21, 09:36 AM
Mr. Spadoni 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 407 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
It might be fun to take a $100 or $150 "vintage" bike and lock it up outside of a Brooklyn or NYC apartment with a super heavy duty lock (worth more than the bike). Put a day/night camera on it, and observe the bike as it slowly disappears.

Perhaps get permission for the "science project" from the building owner or public works.

Pitlocks or glued in ball bearings would make it more interesting.

Time lapse replay.
along those lines, I had an in-law who worked at Honda USA. They would test anti theft systems by leaving a car and then watching to see how long it took to get stolen. They would watch and time the theft so see if new systems took longer to overcome. Local police did not like the process. It made their stats look bad.
Old 06-16-21, 09:38 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,392 Times in 2,092 Posts
Plot twist: This is the result of an NYC C&V'er who ran out of space in their apartment and is using signposts to store parts bikes. This one is being stored for the seatpost and sealed cup-and-cone bottom bracket.

-Kurt

P.S.: People for Bikes sticker!

Old 06-16-21, 10:04 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Spadoni
along those lines, I had an in-law who worked at Honda USA. They would test anti theft systems by leaving a car and then watching to see how long it took to get stolen. They would watch and time the theft so see if new systems took longer to overcome. Local police did not like the process. It made their stats look bad.
It must be quite a high risk area to expect a car to be stolen.

With modern electronics, I'm surprised they couldn't install a couple of redundant trackers. Not necessarily for the market trackers, but some kind of motion sensor traps.

It should make the local police stats look good.

Well, that is, unless Honda didn't actually want to catch the thieves (can't test their systems if they lock up all the perps).
Old 06-16-21, 10:58 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 146 Posts
Hmmm, looks like it's time to completely 'defund' the local 5-0 in NYC.
Likes For VtwinVince:
Old 06-16-21, 11:19 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by cliffordk
(can't test market/sell their systems if they lock up all the perps).
fify
Old 06-16-21, 03:22 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
If my wife and I are riding together, one goes in the store, the other watches the bikes. When I'm alone, I don't go in. Sad, but the only prevention I know.
Take the bike inside with you.
Old 06-16-21, 07:22 PM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Bikes get stolen everywhere, it's not peculiar to NYC, where I live and ride. That said, I never leave my bike locked up outside, unless it's a very short time and I can see it the whole time I'm inside (like stopping at a coffee bar for pickup). If I am riding to an appointment, I know beforehand that I can store the bike inside somewhere, or I forgo the bike ride. Yes, there are lots of chained up bike wrecks here; very seldom would one of them be worth salvaging parts from, though (I do look).
Likes For Charles Wahl: