Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Brake Pads... Which ones actually have grab???

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-21, 06:16 AM
777funk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts

I've been on bikes with wheel brakes that have enough grip to flip the bike! I have no current bikes like this but I have a few bikes that stop very well.

On the other hand... I have more bikes that make a whirring sound and gradually slow the bike. And yes the brakes are adjusted to where I can't bottom the lever out before my grip strength runs out (about 2/3 travel on the brake lever). And... yes, the pads are new (stamped Taiwan).

I take it not all pads are created equal. How do I know I'm buying good brake pads?
Old 09-26-21, 06:33 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3583 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Brake pads aren't the only thing that affects brake performance. Mechanical advantage is also important. Some levers have higher mechanical advantage than others, dual pivot and centerpull calipers have higher mechanical advantage than sidepull calipers, and where the pads are positioned in the calipers also affects mechanical advantage: pads positioned at the bottom of the adjustment slot will have lower mechanical advantage than pads positioned at the tops of the slots, although frame design and wheel diameter are what determines pad placement in the slot.

But back to brake pads: Kool Stop "salmon" pads have more "grab" than generic black pads in my experience. If you want to improve brake performance, the Kool Stop pads can make a difference.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 09-26-21, 06:51 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1815 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Brake pads aren't the only thing that affects brake performance. Mechanical advantage is also important. Some levers have higher mechanical advantage than others, dual pivot and centerpull calipers have higher mechanical advantage than sidepull calipers, and where the pads are positioned in the calipers also affects mechanical advantage: pads positioned at the bottom of the adjustment slot will have lower mechanical advantage than pads positioned at the tops of the slots, although frame design and wheel diameter are what determines pad placement in the slot.

But back to brake pads: Kool Stop "salmon" pads have more "grab" than generic black pads in my experience. If you want to improve brake performance, the Kool Stop pads can make a difference.
Another sometimes overlooked part of a brake system is the condition of the cables and housings. Too much friction in the cables can reduce the effectiveness of your brakes
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 09-26-21, 07:45 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
What are the rims on the poorly braking bikes? If they are steel or chromed steel, nothing you can do except replacement will make them stop the bike well. If they are aluminum then perhaps cleaning them with alcohot as well as new Kool Stop pads will fix the problem.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 09-26-21, 08:24 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Kool Stop
Old 09-26-21, 09:40 AM
777funk

Originally Posted by HillRider
What are the rims on the poorly braking bikes? If they are steel or chromed steel, nothing you can do except replacement will make them stop the bike well. If they are aluminum then perhaps cleaning them with alcohot as well as new Kool Stop pads will fix the problem.
yep chromed steel with knurling.
Old 09-26-21, 09:42 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Brake pads make a big difference. I second the rec for kool stop salmon.

IMO, having good pads and cables (well, cable housing more specifically) are more important than the levers and calipers themselves.

I assume we are talking about rim brakes.
Old 09-26-21, 10:28 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
Originally Posted by 777funk
An old Peugeot? I has a UO-8. Those rims are poor stoppers dry with even the best brakes and in the wet, well there's a reason they came with one of the best all time caliper brakes ever made. (Edit: Mafac Racers) And still, stopping was a gradual process.

So, Koolstop, yes. And if stopping in the wet is in your future, invest in wheels with aluminum rims. (Do all the rest of the stuff recommended above too: align the pads, keep cable and housings in good shape and running freely, etc.)

If you have an old UO-8 and do all this, you will have one super stopping bike and wonder what all the fuss about discs is about.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 09-26-21, 11:05 AM
777funk

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
An old Peugeot? I has a UO-8. Those rims are poor stoppers dry with even the best brakes and in the wet, well there's a reason they came with one of the best all time caliper brakes ever made. (Edit: Mafac Racers) And still, stopping was a gradual process.

So, Koolstop, yes. And if stopping in the wet is in your future, invest in wheels with aluminum rims. (Do all the rest of the stuff recommended above too: align the pads, keep cable and housings in good shape and running freely, etc.)

If you have an old UO-8 and do all this, you will have one super stopping bike and wonder what all the fuss about discs is about.
It's on an old Puch made Sears bike. But I have quite a few with steel rims that slow down gradually. Emergency braking wouldn't be an option. I ride accordingly, but brakes are nice!

I'll have to try what you mentioned there. I'll bet it'll work great!
Old 10-03-21, 06:47 PM
777funk

I bought one of the Koolstop sets and it will skid the rear tire after a rev or two of the wheel. MUCH better than the stock old pads. I also saw that there's a leather pad available in some countries. These look like a good option as well but I'm happy with the Koolstop. Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 10-03-21, 11:53 PM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
All my steel rim wheels hang in my garage unless I am running coaster or, sometimes, disk brakes.
Old 10-04-21, 01:35 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
There's only just so much we can do with steel rims -- had 'em on my 1976 Motobecane, fine in dry conditions, sketchy in the wet.

Plan on scuffing up the brake pads occasionally to keep 'em grabbing. Lightly remove the glazed surface on the brake pads using a fine file, sandpaper, even a Scotch-Brite pad if that's all you have handy.

Wipe down the rims occasionally too. A little rubbing alcohol (plain, not with any oil like some rubbing alcohols have) on a paper towel is good enough. Or any spray cleaner that doesn't leave an oily or soapy residue. Not that picky, just wipe off the brake pad dust, oil from the road and puddles, etc.

Get some good used aluminum rim wheels when you can.
Old 10-04-21, 02:02 PM
44.5mph
Too slow

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
All my steel wheels I have rebuilt with aluminum rims. One of the best upgrades!
Old 10-04-21, 09:49 PM
etherhuffer 

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker,81 Fuji Gran Tour SE, 83 Fuji S12S LTD, Voyageur 11.8 chrome, Raleigh R300 Touring, Voyageur 11.8

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 227 Posts
I bought one of the Koolstop sets and it will skid the rear tire after a rev or two of the wheel. MUCH better than the stock old pads. I also saw that there's a leather pad available in some countries. These look like a good option as well but I'm happy with the Koolstop. Thanks for the recommendation!
Yes! I was concerned about caliper power after using cantilevers. Kool Stops with calipers have plenty of stopping power. Whatever came with my new Tektro brakes, not so good
Old 10-05-21, 07:14 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Throw them away. Relace them with aluminum rims or replace the wheels entirely. Nothing you can do will make them brake well.