Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Derailleur Adjustment Sequence

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Derailleur Adjustment Sequence

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-21, 03:03 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
Wow, thats a lot to sift through.
I’m a bit sorry about that but I’m not totally responsible for dragging the train off the rails. I had lots of help.

I have been relying on the Park videos for adjusting my Shimano Derailleurs after replacing the cables. I have watched assorted YouTube videos when I wanted to watch someone adjusting some else adjust a Force CX1 derailleur. I know there are idiosyncrasies and nuances to each derailleur as well as everything in life.
If that works for you, go nuts. The issue is usually in the idiosyncrasies but those are usually few. There are a few front derailers that are different but the level of difference is fairly small which is my point. If you know about those differences, more power to you. If you don’t know about the differences, you’ll probably learn about them sooner or later.

Now this makes me wonder if I am doing something wrong.
Does your bike (or bikes) perform like you want them to? If so, you aren’t doing anything wrong. If they don’t, then you need to learn why. But that learning “why” isn’t all that difficult. For that matter, nothing about a bicycle is all that difficult to learn. Newer ones have more weirdness but it’s nothing like the stuff they do to cars.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-07-21, 09:05 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,362 Times in 7,196 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

By the way, MLProbst problem isn’t a limit screw problem. Never was.

...my momma say de limit screws on de front derailleur is just there as tools of de Debil.
Old 11-07-21, 09:12 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

A perfect opportunity to be helpful but no, you just are only here to troll.

...help is where you find it Stewart. I hope you find my contributions helpful, because we all need some help, from time to time. As closely as I can tell, the OP more or less helped himself, as the Lord intended us to do. But if it helps you to assume the conceit that you're the only one here offering advice to people that helps, then by all means continue.

I am not one of those parade rain people. Debbie Downers to a man.
Old 11-07-21, 09:43 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...help is where you find it Stewart. I hope you find my contributions helpful, because we all need some help, from time to time. As closely as I can tell, the OP more or less helped himself, as the Lord intended us to do. But if it helps you to assume the conceit that you're the only one here offering advice to people that helps, then by all means continue.

I am not one of those parade rain people. Debbie Downers to a man.
You really do live in a fantasy world. I have never said I’m the only one here offering advice. I’m saying that you offer no advice. You have contributed zero to this entire thread. Contribute something useful and someone might find it helpful. Right now it just noise.

And, yet again, what happened to putting me on your ignore list? You still don’t seem to be ignoring me.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 11-07-21, 11:35 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

You really do live in a fantasy world. I have never said I’m the only one here offering advice. I’m saying that you offer no advice. You have contributed zero to this entire thread. Contribute something useful and someone might find it helpful. Right now it just noise.
...let's review the thread from the beginning:.

Originally Posted by MLProbst
Thanks John
While the links JohnDThompson linked to are good, seldom do you need to “start from scratch” for either derailer, much less both. Far too many people start with limit screws when something goes wrong with shifting. Changing a crank might necessitate some adjustment but that is going to be a very minor adjustment and will only have an effect on how far the derailer moves inward or outward but has nothing to do with how the bike shifts through the gears.

A bit more information on what your bike is doing would be helpful but you really don’t need to “start from scratch”. That route is likely to put things even more out of whack than to fix the problem.
Originally Posted by cxwrench
If you've messed things up and aren't super experienced starting from scratch is a great idea. OP...which front derailleur?

Yea. Great idea if you want to really make a mess of things…especially if MLProbst isn’t “super experienced”. And how far towards “starting from scratch” do you suggest on going? Remove the derailer and back out all the limit screws then reinstall?

Honestly, even on a new install, there is very little to do in terms of adjusting the limit screws.

And it was off to the races again with you. I don't usually repeat the advice I've seen in a thread. from others, if it seems like it might be a good place to start. Your usual practice is to jump in and tell everyone who will listen, why it is wrong, and how god has revealed the real truth of a particular operation, by speaking to you directly at the bike co-op.

I get it, Stewart. As a true believer, you have a moral obligation to testify. Those Jehovah Witness people that knock on my door are basically good people too. I always talk to them for a while, even if I don't take the pamphlets.
Old 11-08-21, 09:37 AM
cyccommute 

And it was off to the races again with you.
Well you were the one who was waving the flag. What happened to putting me on ignore. No one quoted me so you aren’t really ignoring me, are you? Oh, joy! I have an internet stalker!

I don't usually repeat the advice I've seen in a thread. from others, if it seems like it might be a good place to start.
You don’t give any advice. I just realized that you don’t know how to give advice, do you? You haven’t a clue as to how to fix MLProbst’s problem but that doesn’t stop you from jumping in and poisoning the well, does it?

Old 11-08-21, 11:25 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

You don’t give any advice. I just realized that you don’t know how to give advice, do you? You haven’t a clue as to how to fix MLProbst’s problem but that doesn’t stop you from jumping in and poisoning the well, does it?
...my advice at this point would be for you to put me on ignore. I respond to you the same way I talk to the Jehovah Witness proselytizers, out of politeness from a civilized upbringing, and a sense that they mean well, however misinformed.

As for my small contributions in the way of mechanical advice, I offer it from time to time, if I think it relevant. I try very hard to also appreciate alternatives, offered by others here, who also intend to offer help to strangers on the internet. I would offer that model as advice as well, but you have soundly rejected it before. And I can only take so much rejection in life before I tear up a little.
Old 11-08-21, 12:12 PM
cyccommute 

...my advice at this point would be for you to put me on ignore. I respond to you the same way I talk to the Jehovah Witness proselytizers, out of politeness from a civilized upbringing, and a sense that they mean well, however misinformed.

As for my small contributions in the way of mechanical advice, I offer it from time to time, if I think it relevant. I try very hard to also appreciate alternatives, offered by others here, who also intend to offer help to strangers on the internet. I would offer that model as advice as well, but you have soundly rejected it before. And I can only take so much rejection in life before I tear up a little.

In other words, ya got nothin’. You project so much that you could show “The Wizard of Oz” in 70mm Panavision and 3 strip Technicolor.

For someone who has twice now asked me to ignore them and said they are ignoring me, you certainly respond (with nothing) a whole lot. Please. Put me on ignore. Ignore my advice, I don’t care about you at all. You have offered nothing other than noise in every encounter we have ever had. I honestly try to ignore you but you seem to just want to butt in with your no advice all the time.

Finally, is there a rule that you have that Stuart can’t offer advice? Only “others”?