Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shifters not Shifting

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Shifters not Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-21, 05:22 PM
Wabeery

Bikes: Scott Plasma HMX, BTWIN 720 Ultra AF

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shifters not Shifting

Welcome back, I’m posting here so often that I’m starting to question my ability maintain a bike. Anyway so I’m upgrading the groupset on a 2012/13 Carrera from 9 Speed whatever shimano was on there (likely 600 but not sure) to 105 r5800. I’ve set up the STIs and installed PTFE brake and gear cables. The brake cables work (after another thread I here) but the levers aren’t creating any tension on either gear cables. Even when the cables are taut and tightened on the pinch bolts. Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I feel like I should add that I am researching queries and search through existing threads before posting. I do come here before texting my LBS though - I feel like I ask him too many questions lol
Old 11-08-21, 05:42 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Did you shift both levers to the most "relaxed" positions (smallest cog and small chainring) before attaching the cables to the derailleurs? Be sure that has been done and pull all of the slack out of the cables before tightening the pinch bolts.
Old 11-08-21, 05:46 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Start from the beginning. Do as HillRider said. It's not hard.
Old 11-08-21, 05:55 PM
Wabeery

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by HillRider
Did you shift both levers to the most "relaxed" positions (smallest cog and small chainring) before attaching the cables to the derailleurs? Be sure that has been done and pull all of the slack out of the cables before tightening the pinch bolts.
Yup, followed the manuals from shimano, the cable is taut as I mentioned in the post.
Old 11-08-21, 06:09 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
To be clear you what all are you upgrading, Shifters, derailers, crankset, cassette?

5800 is 11 speed so would not shift well with 9 speed cassette, but the would not be any movement

I would double check initial lever position, if you are at the highest/tightest postions with the shifters and the cable is taut, it would not shift.

loosen the cables, hold the cable with some tension and use the small lever to click until it won't click anymore, this puts the shifters as noted to the most relaxed(smallest cog and small chainring) which is where you want to start

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 11-08-21, 06:10 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 348 Posts
Originally Posted by Wabeery
Yup, followed the manuals from shimano, the cable is taut as I mentioned in the post.
But were the shift levers in the 'relaxed' position before tightening the cable and pinch bolt?
Old 11-08-21, 06:14 PM
Wabeery

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by squirtdad
To be clear you what all are you upgrading, Shifters, derailers, crankset, cassette?

5800 is 11 speed so would not shift well with 9 speed cassette, but the would not be any movement

I would double check initial lever position, if you are at the highest/tightest postions with the shifters and the cable is taut, it would not shift.

loosen the cables, hold the cable with some tension and use the small lever to click until it won't click anymore, this puts the shifters as noted to the most relaxed(smallest cog and small chainring) which is where you want to start
I have upgraded the shifters, front/rear mech, and brake/gear cables.

I shall give that a try.

Edit: I also have a new wheel with an 11speed hub and cassette. Additionally I am using an 11speed chain with quick. The set up and compatibly of components isn’t the problem only that the shifters aren’t creating tension on the gear cable.

Last edited by Wabeery; 11-08-21 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-08-21, 06:16 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,821 Times in 1,540 Posts
I have upgraded the shifters, front/rear mech, and brake/gear cables.

I shall give that a try.
need a 11 speed cassette also

good luck

Old 11-08-21, 06:29 PM
Wabeery

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by squirtdad
need a 11 speed cassette also

good luck
Yes forgot to mention I bought a wheel with an 11spd hub and cassette also - I’ll edit that onto previous message.
Old 11-08-21, 06:32 PM
Wabeery

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpedFast
But were the shift levers in the 'relaxed' position before tightening the cable and pinch bolt?
Yes - that is what ‘yup’ was referring to.
Old 11-08-21, 07:08 PM
Wabeery

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Update: shifters are still not creating tension in the cable
Old 11-08-21, 08:07 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2744 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/s...002-05-ENG.pdf
Old 11-08-21, 10:23 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Wabeery Let me spell out some of the above advice by others in excruciating detail just to make sure, not to cast aspersions on your bike maintenance skills.

I have the same 105 5800 groupset, and I just installed new shift cables and housings last week (How long do rear derailleur cables last? - Bike Forums).

1. You are using the rearward, smaller lever on each side to shift each STI shifter to its most relaxed position before doing anything else, right? That should take 2 clicks on the left, and 11 clicks on the right.

2. By "not creating tension", do you mean that when you push the forward, larger lever of an STI shifter inward, it is not pulling on the corresponding cable? If not, what do you mean?

3. Before connecting the cable to the corresponding derailleur, hold the cable in one hand and try to shift by pushing the forward, larger lever inward with your other hand, to see if you can feel the lever pulling the cable.

4. Did you mix up the shift cable and the brake cables?
Old 11-08-21, 10:40 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Wabeery Let me spell out some of the above advice by others in excruciating detail just to make sure, not to cast aspersions on your bike maintenance skills.

I have the same 105 5800 groupset, and I just installed new shift cables and housings last week (How long do rear derailleur cables last? - Bike Forums).

1. You are using the rearward, smaller lever on each side to shift each STI shifter to its most relaxed position before doing anything else, right? That should take 2 clicks on the left, and 11 clicks on the right.

2. By "not creating tension", do you mean that when you push the forward, larger lever of an STI shifter inward, it is not pulling on the corresponding cable? If not, what do you mean?

3. Before connecting the cable to the corresponding derailleur, hold the cable in one hand and try to shift by pushing the forward, larger lever inward with your other hand, to see if you can feel the lever pulling the cable.

11 gears, 10 clicks.
Old 11-08-21, 10:44 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by cxwrench
11 gears, 10 clicks.
Yes, the extra click on each side is just to make sure. See, e.g., DM-ST0002-05-ENG.pdf at 12.
Old 11-09-21, 01:26 AM
Wabeery

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir

I appreciate you going into detail but I’ve already said this in the posts before chap.
1. Yes, as stated in the manuals, I used the smaller lever B to move the shifter into the most relaxed position (Small sprocket and chainring).
2. When pushing either shifter lever the cable threaded through the shifter mech doesn’t move at all. It’s worth noting that brakes work perfectly fine.
3. Yup tried this at the recommendation of another poster and as I said; the cable doesn’t move.
4 Yes I am using a Teflon shifting kit. Yes i’m absolutely sure because I’m looking at the packet, it’s ~1.2mm, and the cable housing has individual steel cables.

I’ve replaced brake and shifter kits maybe 3 times now on different bikes and never had this issue. Comments like “It’s not hard” are a bit rude and not needed really. Either way I appreciate the advice.
Old 11-09-21, 09:32 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

I’ve replaced brake and shifter kits maybe 3 times now on different bikes and never had this issue.
I have done it only once so you (and probably everyone else in this thread) are more experienced than I am.

Either way I appreciate the advice.
If you disconnect the shift cable from the pinch bolt of the derailleur to allow slack in the cable, and pry the cable off the side of the STI lever body and hold the cable right there (i.e., partially undoing Step 4 on page 13 of DM-ST002-05-ENG.pdf), does pushing the big lever pull on the cable? If not, maybe the cable was not pulled sufficiently deep into the STI lever body (in Steps 2 and 3 on page 12 of DM-ST002-05-ENG.pdf) or the STI lever is somehow defective.
Old 11-09-21, 10:54 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 348 Posts
I'm beginning to think that since this isn't the chaps first rodeo there might be a problem with the shifter.
Old 11-09-21, 11:14 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Maybe it's time to pay your tuition to DIY school and go to a bike shop that has a mechanic that is willing to show you what is wrong.

Either the shifters aren't working, which I'd doubt unless you broke them. Or there is just some simple thing you just are not properly understanding.

Each of us have had our aha moments when something finally gelled that we were simply... wrong about. I've had plenty.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-10-21, 09:07 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Post pictures (you have enough posts) and you are guaranteed to get better advice. You're not helping yourself here by resorting to insulting those who are honestly trying to help you with bits and pieces of information given. My input is largely what has been said above, but apparently that isn't good enough, so you need to provide more info so people can get you a solution.
Old 11-10-21, 10:47 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
1. Yes, as stated in the manuals, I used the smaller lever B to move the shifter into the most relaxed position (Small sprocket and chainring).
A lot of times with used shifters, you need to do this while pull on the shift cable. Otherwise it doesn't click.
Old 11-10-21, 10:48 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1608 Post(s)
Liked 2,587 Times in 1,223 Posts
My only guess would be you missed the cable seat when you threaded it. Little different than the 9 speed.
Old 11-11-21, 07:53 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,147 Times in 1,656 Posts
Deleted a bunch of argumentative posts that weren't really contributing to the conversation, which might be over, IDK. But we'll see.

Let's try to be nice
Likes For TMonk: