Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Dura Ace wheels: The fight against tight tires, and unseated beads?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Dura Ace wheels: The fight against tight tires, and unseated beads?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-21, 04:12 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
It's not rubbing against the underside of the caliper- it's rubbing on the actual part of the frame; the crossbar between the seat stays that the brake mounts on.
Yes, that was my point earlier in post #7 above. These older CAAD racing frames were designed for racy tire. Even fat/heavily threaded 25mm tire are a stretch.
Old 11-09-21, 04:34 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
You could run a 25c Pasela in back and 28c in front. When I go large on two of my bikes, I run 38c Paselas in front and 35c in back. 25c in the back of my fix gear and whatever tire happens to be on the front rim (usually 27c but its so old I can no longer red the lable). The style police may show up and haul me away but they haven't yet.
Old 11-09-21, 06:23 PM
SlowJoeCrow

Bikes: Redline Conquest Pro, Kona Cinder Cone, Trek Fuel EX8(RIP) Pivot Mach 5 frankenbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Sometimes its the rim shape, if the well between the beads is to shallow it can be very hard to mount a stiff tire. I had some carbon fiber bead Hutchinson Bulldogs that would not mount on Ritchey Pro DS rims for love nor money but fit fine on the factory wheels of my son's Focus. On the other hand Vittoria tires mounted easily on my RItchey wheels.
Old 11-09-21, 09:59 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by the sci guy
Yeah I'll see how the 700x25s fit on these Mavics - I'm hoping the smaller width lets the tire sit down just enough. It's crazy though because there is plenty of room behind the BB (the chainstays have that cut-out area that looks like it's designed for a nice sized tire). And the front fork is like gimmme alllll your wide tiress!!!!
What width rim do you suggest?
Maybe 18-20mm inner width? I don't want to be reckless in my recommendation.

It does suck that some bike frames have really inconsistent clearance.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-12-21, 07:31 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
So I went to the shop yesterday and they gave me a wider rim to test out the theory and it was still a failure. The 700x28 Pasaleas still rubbed the brake bridge.
So, I’m going to try the 25s when they arrive tomorrow and if they don’t work I’m going to try a different tire that maybe has a slightly lower profile/construction.
Old 11-12-21, 08:46 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6190 Post(s)
Liked 4,806 Times in 3,315 Posts
I’m going to try a different tire that maybe has a slightly lower profile/construction.
Looking for less tread will probably be your only hope. Bicycle tires are essentially a round cross section. So only the rubbery stuff added to the outside of the casing that isn't part of their ISO measurement will add any additional width or height. To some extent, manufactures might fudge their stated ISO width. Though I doubt the difference is ever going to much more if any than a millimeter.

Maybe it's N+1 time.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 11-12-21, 09:05 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Looking for less tread will probably be your only hope. Bicycle tires are essentially a round cross section. So only the rubbery stuff added to the outside of the casing that isn't part of their ISO measurement will add any additional width or height. To some extent, manufactures might fudge their stated ISO width. Though I doubt the difference is ever going to much more if any than a millimeter.

Maybe it's N+1 time.
I suspect that's why a lot of tires fall short in width -- because they're also trying not to exceed the height of a tire of that nominal cross-section.

A starker example that got me thinking along these lines: my studded winter tires are marked "47/50-559", but the casing barely measures 42mm wide at full pressure (and on decently wide rims.) The tread lugs measure about 4mm tall, so if they made the tire a true 47mm wide, it would definitely be too tall. And with knobby tires, you want more clearance around the tread anyway...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 11-12-21 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-12-21, 10:54 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by Iride01

Maybe it's N+1 time.
Can't be. I found this bike for my buddy and we already put ~$500 in parts and accessories into it. So, it's this bike. This was not an issue I was expecting to encounter.
Also, my size version of the frame arrives today, sooo....

Last edited by the sci guy; 11-12-21 at 10:58 AM.
Old 11-12-21, 12:30 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

OK sent went to another shop where I know one of the managers real well and he has experience with these vintage Cannondale frames and knew exactly what I was talking about - he was like "let me guess, it's hitting the rear brake bridge" lol
He said the 700x25 tires should be fine. His experience has showed that 700x25s work, and you can maybe squeeze a 700x26 if you can find them. He was very familiar with Pasaleas so knew what they looked like and how they're made.

So i feel a little better now. The tires arrive tomorrow so we'll see for sure then!
Old 11-12-21, 12:35 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
I'm a little confused on why you thought a wider rim would change the diameter of the inflated tire, cross section yes that increases but not diameter.
Old 11-12-21, 07:31 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
I'm a little confused on why you thought a wider rim would change the diameter of the inflated tire, cross section yes that increases but not diameter.
wider rim would push the sides out further allowing the tire to not be as tall.
Old 11-12-21, 07:32 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Good news! The 700x25s arrived today (early) and I put them on and there is plenty of clearance so we are good to go! Huzzah!

Thanks everyone for all the thoughts on this debacle.
Likes For the sci guy: