Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Looking for a solid commuter sneaker

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 08-30-22, 08:33 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 189 Posts

For the past 5 years I’ve worn my Asics Onitsuka Tiger Ultimate 81 sneakers for commuting. I’ve got toe cages on some Origin8 track pedals (not the biggest platform, but I have small feet so I never had a problem.

anyway I’m looking for something similar but with a little more thicker sole. I don’t want a big clunky sneaker. They still need to fit into my toe cages. I don’t know if Vans are an option, or some plain ASICS Tigers (not Onitsuka).

I got a pair of Onitsuka Tiger Serranos but the sole is super thing and flexible and I could feel the pedals through them and it hurt my feet.

open to suggestions!
Old 08-30-22, 09:03 PM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
I've been commuting with a pair of Crocs Literide Pacer shoes.....the ones that look like business shoes from above. I put them on one day it was raining and haven't gone back. They're plenty stiff enough and fall nicely into the plastic toe cups I use. They're punched full of holes so I won't be using them in the winter.

I bought them on a whim one day and it turns out they're actually pretty nice.
Old 08-30-22, 09:15 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I've been wearing Chrome sneakers and they have been doing fine. The basic model is like a stiffer sole Chucks.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-30-22, 11:47 PM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 149 Posts
I like ridng in my skate shoes - adidas, (dennis) busenitz

I’m most often riding in Vibram Five Fingers, though.
Likes For streetsurfer:
Old 08-31-22, 06:17 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
My main commuter has Origin 8 pedals with toe clips. All my bikes have toe clips except the folder. I've been wearing stiffer-soled skate shoes for years. Usually Vans or Van-style sneakers.

I just turned 60 and for the last few years I have needed to buy wider-sole/wider platform shoes for walking, but these are not good for the toe cages. Plus there seems to be a general trend towards softer, spongey soles which don't hold up as well over time.

I've also had to start wearing arch supports for the last few years, and these have helped to make any sneakers I buy for biking even stiffer. Just go to any store that sells 'em like Walmart, Target, Walgreens, CVS, etc and look for any inserts with a solid plastic arch section. Usually 8 to 16 bucks a pair.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 08-31-22, 11:18 AM
WilliamT

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 62 Posts
I would recommend mtb flat pedal shoes. They have a stiffer sole and aren't wide like you see with sneakers. Sneakers weren't designed for pedaling. The cushioning in the sneaker is just power lost. Most bike companies have flat pedal mtb shoes. Also companies like adidas sell the 5-10 series which is the benchmark for grippy soles.
Old 08-31-22, 06:07 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

This is the commuter forum, sometimes we want to wear stuff that's good for all day at work and good enough for riding...
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 09-04-22, 07:51 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Try a pair of Vans of the classic design such as Authentics, Eras, Slip-Ons, Old Skools, Chukkas, Sk8-Hi, Half-Cab, etc. All of these are built with the same sole/sidewall construction. Avoid "updated" versions of these that come with the "Ultracush"/"Supercush"/"ComfyCush" insole. I rode the C&O Canal towpath from Georgetown DC to Cumberland MD in a pair of Vans Eras, no problem. I could do that now even in my minimalist footwear, though, since I been minimalist exclusively since 2009. It's really all about what feels right to you. If anything feels stiffer than what you're accustomed to, you probably don't need it.
Likes For Nyah:
Old 09-04-22, 10:03 PM
ilchymis
A.K.A. purple fork man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
If you're interested in trying clipless pedals: I bought Adidas Velosambas after finding them on sale for half price, and I really like them so far. I have a long-ish commute (~30 mile round trip), so I appreciate having my Eggbeater pedals for the ride, but the shoes are also quite comfortable to walk around in throughout the workday.

Main caveat is that my day job doesn't involve a huge amount of walking, and if it did I might find the shoes' stiff soles uncomfortable. But for my purposes, they're the perfect compromise between flexibility for walking and stiffness for cycling.
Likes For ilchymis:
Old 09-06-22, 09:20 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
5-10
I take mine off when I get to work.
i have heard that throwing shoes like used for shot put and discus make good cycling shoes with a stiffer sole. So far, I e had no luck finding them in a store to inspect.
Edit:My vans slip ons are to thin in the sole.

Last edited by Classtime; 09-06-22 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-06-22, 05:56 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Anyone have experience with Chrome Industries shoes? Currently looking at these: https://www.chromeindustries.com/pro...&cgid=sneakers
They appear to have a thicker sole.
Old 09-06-22, 05:56 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

also looking at these: https://www.newbalance.com/pd/nb-num...701&quantity=1
Old 09-07-22, 08:35 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I've been wearing Chrome sneakers and they have been doing fine. The basic model is like a stiffer sole Chucks.
Originally Posted by the sci guy
Anyone have experience with Chrome Industries shoes? Currently looking at these: https://www.chromeindustries.com/pro...&cgid=sneakers
They appear to have a thicker sole.
The ones I have are Dima, Kursk, and Truk according to my email receipts. They all seem ok. They are spilling more ink about features than they used to, so maybe it's better, but they were ok enough before.
Old 09-07-22, 08:35 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

careful with sizing, they really do run half a size large like the website says
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 09-07-22, 12:58 PM
sigster

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just purchased a pair of velosambas to use with some hybrid flat/clipless pedals. They look like normal shoes but have the advantage of traditional cycling shoes with their SPD mounts, meaning you can put more power into getting to work while still looking stylish.
Likes For sigster:
Old 09-07-22, 01:12 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts
This is a good thread. Always on the lookout for some economical shoes which suit biking yet can be worn off the bike comfortably.

Currently using a set of Windriver shoes I bought on clearout for $30 at Marks Work Wearhouse. They have a Vibram sole which is nice and stiff. However, they are starting to show their wear.
Old 09-07-22, 06:45 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
The ones I have are Dima, Kursk, and Truk according to my email receipts. They all seem ok. They are spilling more ink about features than they used to, so maybe it's better, but they were ok enough before.
Sorry I missed your post! It's looking more and more like this is what I'll go with. Someone said Vans look beefy but their soles are pretty thin actually.

Originally Posted by sigster
I just purchased a pair of velosambas to use with some hybrid flat/clipless pedals. They look like normal shoes but have the advantage of traditional cycling shoes with their SPD mounts, meaning you can put more power into getting to work while still looking stylish.
I tried on a pair of regular adidas sambas at the adidas outlet store this weekend, and I did not like the giant tongue - it was unwieldy and uncomfortable. Otherwise they'd be pretty awesome I think.
I've got tow cages on my bike and I find that best for my commute considering how much stopping I do and car-tangling. I don't want to have to worry about unclipping - its much easier to yank my foot out of a cage.
Old 09-07-22, 06:56 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 1,450 Times in 702 Posts
Puma Super Liga
Old 09-14-22, 12:01 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
why does the thickness of the sole matter? don't want to assume you want a stiffer sole. but a stiffer sole doesn't have to be thicker

thicker is a feature
stuffer is a benefit
it might help if we knew what benefit you were looking for

for example, I was just thinking about how I started with smooth bottomed cycling shoes, but w/o cleats. these have more rigid soles. those worked out really well for me. I imagine they would work real well w/ traditional toe clips aka cages
Old 09-15-22, 11:39 AM
blingshock

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just use regular shoes with flat soles, with studded platform pedals

Last edited by blingshock; 09-16-22 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-15-22, 05:18 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
why does the thickness of the sole matter? don't want to assume you want a stiffer sole. but a stiffer sole doesn't have to be thicker

thicker is a feature
stuffer is a benefit
it might help if we knew what benefit you were looking for

for example, I was just thinking about how I started with smooth bottomed cycling shoes, but w/o cleats. these have more rigid soles. those worked out really well for me. I imagine they would work real well w/ traditional toe clips aka cages
SOrry I guess I was equating stiffness with thickness to a point - but I do mean thick because as I said in my first post, the sneakers I originally got had a very thin and therefore flexible sole - and i could feel the ridges of the pedals as the sole conformed around them and it hurt my feet.

I ended up buying a pair of New Balance 425s, and when they arrived I was like, these are way too nice to wear as daily commuter sneakers! So, I kept them for work, and instead ordered a pair of Adidas Superstars instead. Those should be OK i think. Will report back.
Likes For the sci guy: