Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Advice on carbon compression plug

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-22, 05:22 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts

hello,
I'm a DIY mechanic and was inspecting my bike's fork and noticed that the compression/expansion nut wasn't centered on the stem bolts. Upon removing it I realized that it was not as long as the stem's height (please see pics). I don't know if this is normal but it appears this expansion plug was only placed to allow preload of the fork as it wasn't so tight that the spacers wouldn't slip back and forth easily. This is for a 2007 Specialized Roubaix with a carbon fork/steerer tube

Questions:
1) Should I replace with an expansion bolt that is as tall as the stem?
2) Should I just recenter it and not overtighten it (6nM ish) and live with it?

Thanks for the help!

Old 09-26-22, 08:39 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
1- Sure, especially if you will sleep better for it.

2- Sure and it will likely work well. Just don't over tighten the stem binder bolts. Andy
Old 09-26-22, 10:40 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,566 Times in 1,421 Posts
Sorry, but you're missing something (or at least it doesn''t show in the photo).

What you show is not a true compression plug (unless it has an internal thread and a screw to engage the top cap)

I make the point because you seem to misunderstand what the compression plug is about. It's to provide a "nut" fixed in the steerer (think star nut in traditional threadless systems) that will accept a bolt that can be tightened to push the stem and any spacers down and "compress" or preload the headset.

This particular design is intended to provide isolate plug producing a fixed force against the steerer, allowing it to stay put,without glue, and not expand farther as the top screw is tightened. It's height/depth doesn't matter as long as it's within the working reach of the top cap bolt.

So, the sequence is as follows. Locate and tighten the expander enough for it to stay put, and avoid the temptation to overtighten. Assemble fork, headset, spacers, stem, top cap and bolt. align stem to front wheel, tighten the bolt to preload headset, then tighten stem buts to keep everything locked together.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 09-26-22 at 10:44 PM.