Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tire exploded, any lessons?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 10-01-22, 09:26 AM
alexk_il

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts

I was enthusiastically flying down the tarmac hill and hit a not so large tree branch. Didn't even feel anything on my drop bars, though I have an old Manitou suspension fork.

It felt like the rear tire exploded. Under close inspection I found a clean cut on the tire and a smaller less clean on the inner tube.

Just curious what actually happened:
  1. Did something cut through the tire or did the inner tube/tire explode from the hit
  2. Would having a lower tire pressure help to avoid this?
Tires: Panaracer Slick GravelKing 27.5x1.9
Pressure: ~5 psi below the max specified
Length of the cut: 2.5-3cm
Speed on decent: 25-30mph

​​
Likes For alexk_il:
Old 10-01-22, 09:31 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
It think you probably hit something that cut it. I'd expect a failure due to a flaw or even something like a way overinflated tire to be more of a tear in the outer layer of rubber.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-01-22, 09:50 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
I agree with Iride. That looks more like a cut. I've had tires explode and usually you'll see some of the cording in the rip. That looks too clean. It might just have been coincidence hitting the tree branch. Shame, looks like a relatively new tire.
Likes For SpedFast:
Old 10-01-22, 11:01 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 343 Posts
Yes, looks like a cut. Do you have a photo of the inside of the tire at the cut?
I rarely see any reports of tires exploding. And those few are often a long, ragged split near the tire bead, with casing threads hanging loose.

That 27x1.9 is about 48 mm wide. Panaracer says max 50 psi.
Try 30 psi! It's way more comfortable and just as fast. (You might want to lower the pressure in stages over a couple of rides. Just to adapt to the new road feel. A jump from rock hard to flexing over rough surfaces might feel a bit weird at first.)
Likes For rm -rf:
Old 10-01-22, 11:13 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,092 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by alexk_il
I was enthusiastically flying down the tarmac hill and hit a not so large tree branch. Didn't even feel anything on my drop bars, though I have an old Manitou suspension fork.

It felt like the rear tire exploded. Under close inspection I found a clean cut on the tire and a smaller less clean on the inner tube.

1. Did something cut through the tire or did the inner tube/tire explode from the hit

Yep. A cut. Probably not due to hitting the tree branch. Given the cleanness of the cut, I’d suspect glass. You probably ran over a bit of glass elsewhere and the tree branch it may have been enough to complete the rupture.

1. Would having a lower tire pressure help to avoid this?
Unlikely. Tire pressure has little to do with flats from whatever the tire encounters.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-01-22, 11:18 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
^ This. Saved me some typing.

Lower tire pressure allows the tire to deform around a potentially puncturing object, but with that kind of cut, I doubt it would have mattered.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 10-01-22, 01:01 PM
ARider2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Keep in mind if the tire pressure is too low a pinch flat can occur if you hit a pothole or road debris. However, the photo does not look like a pinch flat. It looks like something cut a slit in the tire.
Likes For ARider2:
Old 10-01-22, 01:06 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,432 Times in 1,345 Posts
Agree with the above, you cut the tire but the damage was not enough for immediate failure, with the impact finishing the job.

As for lower pressure, the only "benefits" would have been softer bump on your butt at the expense of possibly denting the rim. Given the relative costs of rims (wheels) and tires, it's not wise to think about risking rims to save tires.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-01-22, 01:16 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
that tire looks relatively new. anyone have access to this bike besides you? like in an apartment bldg hall? I like to think the best of ppl but the slice might be sabotage & the tree strike was just enough of a jolt, to open it up. if not I guess it was a pretty significant object cuz that's a broad laceration. don't recall anyone writing about a tire exploding while riding. good thing it wasn't the front, eh?

so you're going 25-30 mph & the back tire explodes. what happened? sounds like nothing major, you just heard it, maybe felt it go flat & then slowed to a stop? no traffic around?

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-01-22 at 04:00 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-01-22, 01:50 PM
alexk_il

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
that tire look relatively new. anyone have access to this bike besides you? like in an apartment bldg hall? I like to think the best of ppl but the slice might be sabotage & the tree strike was just enough of a jolt, to open it up. if not I guess it was a pretty significant object cuz that's a broad laceration. don't recall anyone writing about a tire exploding while riding. good thing it wasn't the front, eh?

so you're going 25-30 mph & the back tire explodes. what happened? sounds like nothing major, you just heard it, maybe felt it go flat & then slowed to a stop? no traffic around?
Yep, the tire has less than 200 miles on it. The bike is always either inside of my house or my garage, that's definitely not a sabotage.

Nothing major happened after the tire explodes. Just extra drag and extra noise from the airless tire. No traffic, just an abandoned field road. Getting uber to rescue was quite a challenge.
​​​​​​
Thank's to all. It feels better knowing that it was a cut and I didn't cause it by the "tarmac only" tire pressure. Now it's time to test SpeedKings RaceSport 27.5x2.2 on the same road. They also don't have the reputation of cut resistant tires, but they should roll fast. 😁

Last edited by alexk_il; 10-01-22 at 01:56 PM.
Likes For alexk_il:
Old 10-01-22, 03:40 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
As a late-in-life arrival to road bikes, after the better part of 4 decades on MTBs, "max pressure -5 psi" seems awfully high, especially for 1.95"-2.1" tires.
I mean, 20-30 is just fine for rocks and roots on trail, but anything less than 50 psi on the road, and you're at risk of bending your rims?
​​​​​​The advantage of fat slicks is that you can run them at lower pressure an enjoy a plusher ride without a big penalty in rolling resistance. If you pump them up rock-hard, you might as well be on skinnies.
A Also at lower pressure, you have a lot more contact patch available, which pays off in more available grip; I just finished a 26" city bike build that's running 2.1" BMX tires, and it is remarkable at how confident the cornering is ; it doesn't get upset by mid-corner bumps or surface changes, and is surprisingly competent on hardpack and gravel, despite having minimal tread
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 10-01-22, 04:12 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Be thankful that it was the rear tire and not the front.

Sure does look like you ran over something pretty sharp.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 10-01-22, 05:25 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4744 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Yep, the tire has less than 200 miles on it. The bike is always either inside of my house or my garage, that's definitely not a sabotage.

Nothing major happened after the tire explodes. Just extra drag and extra noise from the airless tire. No traffic, just an abandoned field road. Getting uber to rescue was quite a challenge.
​​​​​​
Thank's to all. It feels better knowing that it was a cut and I didn't cause it by the "tarmac only" tire pressure. Now it's time to test SpeedKings RaceSport 27.5x2.2 on the same road. They also don't have the reputation of cut resistant tires, but they should roll fast. 😁
With what I always carry, that tire would have gotten my me home, no sweat.

I don't know if your tube could have been patched but I always carry two spares. A good pump. And at least a half dozen dollar bills. So - simply replace the tube after laying several bills over the cut laid in both directions. Pump up to near your usual pressure and ride home. No Uber, no big deal. (And when I got home, I would patch that tire with sailcloth glued in with contractor's contact cement, ie the stuff countertop laminates are glued down with. That sailcloth - from a sailmaker, not the JC Penny stuff.) Stuff the bills back in your wallet. Those repairs will go the life of the tire. One tube - $6. Sailcloth plus cement - $1? Can you better that with Uber?
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 10-01-22, 05:46 PM
alexk_il

Originally Posted by 79pmooney

I don't know if your tube could have been patched but I always carry two spares. A good pump. And at least a half dozen dollar bills. So - simply replace the tube after laying several bills over the cut laid in both directions. Pump up to near your usual pressure and ride home. No Uber, no big deal. (And when I got home, I would patch that tire with sailcloth glued in with contractor's contact cement, ie the stuff countertop laminates are glued down with. That sailcloth - from a sailmaker, not the JC Penny stuff.) Stuff the bills back in your wallet. Those repairs will go the life of the tire. One tube - $6. Sailcloth plus cement - $1? Can you better that with Uber?
I'm quite good at patching the tires in the field, I only carry patches, but not spares. The cut on the tube was about 1cm long, should'be the problem.

Unfortunately this was the first time for me to patch a tube under a heavy rain. The seal just didn't want to stay and keep the pressure. Water and glue? Not surprising, yet caught me unprepared.

Ironically, the patch made a good bonding overnight, I might reuse the tire tube or keep it as a spare.

Banknotes to patch the tire seems to be a good idea, thanks.
​​​​

Last edited by alexk_il; 10-01-22 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-01-22, 06:07 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4744 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
I'm quite good at patching the tires in the field, I only carry patches, but not spares. The cut on the tube was about 1cm long, should'be the problem.

Unfortunately this was the first time for me to patch a tube under a heavy rain. The seal just didn't want to stay and keep the pressure. Water and glue? Not surprising, yet caught me unprepared.

Ironically, the patch made a good bonding overnight, I might reuse the tire or keep it as a spare.

Banknotes to patch the tire seems to be a good idea, thanks.
​​​​
I patch first and do not go to the spare tube(s) but there are times when weather makes patching hard (your case), cuts are too long or many, valves or valve stem joints fail, light's failing and I do not have a light, inner tube sleeves fail ... Patches cannot do all. More than one flat per ride happens. I came up riding outside local calling distances before cell phones and never had a willing partner I could call to bail me out. Being close to self-sufficient has been my mantra a long time.
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 10-02-22, 01:35 AM
alexk_il

Originally Posted by 79pmooney

​​​​​Permanently fixing the cut tire also seems to be a good idea, though my common sense tells me that there could be some risks.

Started a new thread, just to be sure.

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...you-think.html
Old 10-02-22, 07:46 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts
the cut tire is junk

life is too short to drink cheap beer and fix cut/junk tires
Old 10-04-22, 01:44 AM
alexk_il

Mystery solved.

Under close inspection I found a clean cut on the tire and a smaller less clean on the inner tube.

1. Did something cut through the tire or did the inner tube/tire explode from the hit?
​​
Cycled back to the accident place, found a few razor sharp stones on that section. I guess they fall off an agriculture or a construction vehicle. What are these?

Picked all of them to make the road safer for my commuting. On closer inspection one of them seems to be matching the cut on the tire.

Mystery solved.

Likes For alexk_il:
Old 10-04-22, 04:25 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Cycled back to the accident place, found a few razor sharp stones on that section. I guess they fall off an agriculture or a construction vehicle. What are these?
Picked all of them to make the road safer for my commuting. On closer inspection one of them seems to be matching the cut on the tire.
Mystery solved.
don't you think you would have felt striking something like that? dunno, looks like flint stone

maybe a mix of granite & quartz? what state are you in? what kinds of quarries are in operation?

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-04-22 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-04-22, 05:25 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 903 Times in 486 Posts
Yep, almost the exact same thing happened to me this past July. It’s easy to not feel hitting a small sharp rock when the tire is rapidly deflating. Same looking clean cut across the tire as mine too.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 10-04-22, 06:05 AM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 456 Posts
​​​​​Permanently fixing the cut tire also seems to be a good idea, though my common sense tells me that there could be some risks.

Started a new thread, just to be sure.

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...you-think.html
Originally Posted by t2p
the cut tire is junk

life is too short to drink cheap beer and fix cut/junk tires
Agree with t2p.

Unless you absolutely cannot afford to replace the tire, I'd also recommend junking it. Too many cord threads are cut for me to trust it. I'd worry about the damaged cords shifting/pulling within the case and creating a new weak spot - and a new flat in the future. Worst-case it could blow when you're in a hard curve, causing your rear wheel to skid uncontrollably and putting you on the ground.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 10-04-22, 07:00 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 430 Posts
don't fix the tire. That's way too much damage. Besides, you'll feel the fix while riding thump thump thump...
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 10-04-22, 12:31 PM
alexk_il

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
don't you think you would have felt striking something like that? dunno, looks like flint stone
maybe a mix of granite & quartz? what state are you in? what kinds of quarries are in operation?
I thought I hit a fallen tree branch, there is plenty of these laying around that road. Maybe I hit both, can't tell, but the shape of the surface of one of the stones matched the size and the profile of the cut.

Googled "flint stone", I think you nailed it, definitely look like it. No idea where they came from but according to the wiki flint stone was used in Southern parts of the UK to build churches, farms, houses etc. Still plenty of these Middle Age buildings in my area, perhaps somebody ordered these to repair their farm.

Thanks a lot.
Likes For alexk_il:
Old 10-04-22, 12:50 PM
rumrunn6

Googled "flint stone", I think you nailed it, definitely look like it. No idea where they came from but according to the wiki flint stone was used in Southern parts of the UK to build churches, farms, houses etc. Still plenty of these Middle Age buildings in my area, perhaps somebody ordered these to repair their farm
my late Dad was a rock collector, so of course he dragged us kids along to some caves & such. it just looked familiar. I suppose you can test the pieces you collected, if you kept them

Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-04-22, 04:06 PM
alexk_il

Thanks to all who replied. Despite of me getting emotionally attached to that tire it went to the bin. I really liked how slick Panarace GravelKing rolled, very smooth and supple, no rolling resistance and surprisingly great traction on tarmac especially while cornering.There is something magical about them.

Hope I will learn to love the new Continental Speed King II RS tires that I am trying now, still experimenting with the tire pressure.
Likes For alexk_il: