Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How often should I lube sealed cartridge bearings with rainy rides?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-21, 03:33 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts

My e bike is all sealed cartridge bearings now. when I got it in November I had rusty grease coming out of the headset by April. so the bearings were replaced with good bearings. between new wheels and the pedals everything is sealed. I get at least 6000 miles a year on it rain and shine in portland. is once a year enough to check and grease bearings? my wheel builder said I should replace the bearings on my dt-swiss hubs should I or jus grease them same with all the other bearings grease them or replace them?
Old 10-02-21, 03:49 PM
canopus 

Bikes: Road, Touring, BMX, Cruisers...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 111 Posts
Rubber sealed cartridge bearings I would say, just replace them. Trying to take the seal out typically will get the seal part of the rubber cut or knicked and that will just allow dirt in anyway.
Just monitor them for play and/or corrosion and when you have to much play or noise or any corrosion, just replace them.
1984 Trek 760
1981 Trek 710
Pics
Old 10-02-21, 03:50 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by canopus
Rubber sealed cartridge bearings I would say, just replace them. Trying to take the seal out typically will get the seal part of the rubber cut or knicked and that will just allow dirt in anyway.
Just monitor them for play and/or corrosion and when you have to much play or noise or any corrosion, just replace them.
that makes sense. with all the rain I ride in I want to keep on top of them.
Old 10-02-21, 09:16 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
If you're really rich on time you can remove the dust seals from the bearings, blast them with degreaser, and blast them out with a compressor and replace the grease, but it's probably better to just replace bearings when they're rough. If you want to save money buy bearings from an industrial source rather than anything marketed for the bike industry.
Likes For cpach:
Old 10-03-21, 10:54 AM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
Water, and in winter climates salt, is hard on bearings. The guys I knew who rode winters on not wonderfully sealed cartridge bearings would just replace them every spring. They would feel awful, but the good news is the only thing damaged would be the inside of the cartridge bearing that was getting replaced anyways.

If you can keep them clean/dry, they'll last a ton longer. In the days of external headsets you could keep those clean by stretching a cut piece of inner tube around the headset cups. Not pretty, but not actually a ton of friction with a dab of grease and they bearings will last for years.
This is doesn't work so nicely on hubs due to fitment.