Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Steps in Troubleshooting Tubeless Not Holding Air

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-21, 07:11 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts

I've searched the threads and found many related topics, though I'm still not sure the best course of action for the following:

- yesterday I removed the Hutchinson Touareg tubeless tires from Mavic Allroad rims (set up tubeless last year by my lbs); these held air amazingly all year and were great, but I wore them down
- after removing the tires I cleaned the rims with warm water and a soft rag, removing all the old sealant residue, let the rims dry and inspected the tape, valve, etc. (looked fine)
- I installed a new set of the same tires (700x40), definitely seated them correctly (can see the line around the tire on both sides, just above the rim)
- inserted about 70ml of sealant and pumped them back up
- checked on them about 10 hours later, front seemed to not lose any psi at all (still hasn't 24 hours later), the rear though seemed to lose about 1/2 psi after 10 hours...I pumped them back up and they lost maybe a 1/3rd overnight; I just pumped them back up

Pulling off the tire is a mess, but I don't mind doing so if that's really the only way to diagnose the issue...but I'm hoping to get ideas for a sequence of steps to follow that start at the easiest/least messy (e.g., should I start by adding another 10-20ml of sealant, shake, etc., then leave it overnight?)

Thanks and sorry in advance for a fairly repetitive question!
Old 11-06-21, 08:26 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Have you ridden them yet? Riding will help distribute the sealant all around the inside of the tire and probably help with the leak
Old 11-06-21, 08:58 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
You most likely need to re-tape that rim. Impossible to say without seeing it, but that's the most likely cause.
Old 11-06-21, 09:23 AM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by cxwrench
You most likely need to re-tape that rim. Impossible to say without seeing it, but that's the most likely cause.
If they are these wheels: https://www.probikekit.ca/bicycle-wh...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
They don't require tape
Old 11-06-21, 09:41 AM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by Noonievut
I've searched the threads and found many related topics, though I'm still not sure the best course of action for the following:

- yesterday I removed the Hutchinson Touareg tubeless tires from Mavic Allroad rims (set up tubeless last year by my lbs); these held air amazingly all year and were great, but I wore them down
- after removing the tires I cleaned the rims with warm water and a soft rag, removing all the old sealant residue, let the rims dry and inspected the tape, valve, etc. (looked fine)
- I installed a new set of the same tires (700x40), definitely seated them correctly (can see the line around the tire on both sides, just above the rim)
- inserted about 70ml of sealant and pumped them back up
- checked on them about 10 hours later, front seemed to not lose any psi at all (still hasn't 24 hours later), the rear though seemed to lose about 1/2 psi after 10 hours...I pumped them back up and they lost maybe a 1/3rd overnight; I just pumped them back up

Pulling off the tire is a mess, but I don't mind doing so if that's really the only way to diagnose the issue...but I'm hoping to get ideas for a sequence of steps to follow that start at the easiest/least messy (e.g., should I start by adding another 10-20ml of sealant, shake, etc., then leave it overnight?)

Thanks and sorry in advance for a fairly repetitive question!
Apparently these have tape.
Old 11-06-21, 09:43 AM
alcjphil

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Apparently these have tape.
Sorry, missed that line from the original post, my mistake
Old 11-07-21, 04:54 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 474 Posts
Every time I mount a tubeless tire, it loses air until I ride it the first time. I suspect that it needs to be ridden to distribute the sealant around the bead seat area to seal all the small leaks.
Old 11-07-21, 05:21 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I’ll ride it, and see if that improves. If not, I’ll remove the tire and check for issues again, possibly adding new tape.
Old 11-07-21, 07:46 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by dsaul
Every time I mount a tubeless tire, it loses air until I ride it the first time. I suspect that it needs to be ridden to distribute the sealant around the bead seat area to seal all the small leaks.
^This^ Ride the bike at least a bit as soon as possible after mounting a TL tire.
Likes For cxwrench: