Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

why bottom bracket no go in?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

why bottom bracket no go in?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-21, 01:04 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
36mm x 24tpi.
Old 11-09-21, 01:46 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by cyrano138
Seems weird to use metric x nonmetric.
It's just like car tires. People around the world get to experience the lovely mix of millimeters and inches when they need new tires.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-09-21, 01:48 PM
cyrano138

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1977 Raleigh Super Course (converted to fixed gear), 199X GT outpost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
36mm x 24tpi.
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
It's just like car tires. People around the world get to experience the lovely mix of millimeters and inches when they need new tires.
The world is a crazy place, all right.
Old 11-09-21, 02:29 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
Off topic, but what does the "36" mean? I assume the "1.37" means inches, since the 24 is a non-metric threads per inch. But is the 36 for mm? Seems weird to use metric x nonmetric.
Not if you're in most of the world.
Old 11-09-21, 03:18 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
The world is a crazy place, all right.
Here in Ontario Canada I see plywood advertised as 4 feet by 8 feet by whatever thickness in milimeters. We're supposedly on the metric system.

Two bad your cartridge unit isn't for a double in a steel frame as I'd be very interested in buying it if it was.

A nice thing about cartridge bottom brackets is how easy they are to install compared to cup and cone units.

Cheers
Old 11-09-21, 04:30 PM
cyrano138

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn LeTour, 1977 Raleigh Super Course (converted to fixed gear), 199X GT outpost

Thank goodness you found the Italian marking first!

When you do get the right unit, 3alarmer 's observation about the BB shell threading may still apply. When installing a Velo-Orange cartridge unit in my '87 Bianchi, I had to file down some of the leading threads on the drive-side cup before it would go in all the way!
I wonder if that's what happened here. This is a photo of the drive side of my bike. I had this bottom bracket installed several years ago before I knew how to do anything so I have no idea what kind it is or if this is what happened, but it looks like there might be a washer spacer between the bottom bracket and the bottom bracket shell. I wonder if this would be an option rather than grinding off more threads? It seems like you're going to engage the same amount of threads either way. Whether you don't get it all the way in and miss some of the inner threads or grind off the first few outer threads so that it can go all the way in I can't imagine there would be much of a difference (unless it's not getting far enough in for the other side to tighten). Just a thought. Wondering if anybody might weigh in on it.
I don't think it's worth pulling the cranks and the bottom bracket to find out what kind it is or see if it has a washer or if that's just the way the drive side of the bottom bracket looks, but I figured it didn't hurt to ask anyway.
Old 11-09-21, 06:10 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I've never heard of anyone grinding off any threads. I'm sure that spacer is an attempt to make chainline better.
Old 11-09-21, 11:31 PM
cyrano138

Originally Posted by cxwrench
I've never heard of anyone grinding off any threads. I'm sure that spacer is an attempt to make chainline better.
That might be. The inner chainring (before fixed conversion) was too close to the chainstay.
Old 11-10-21, 12:09 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
......Wondering if anybody might weigh in on it......
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html
Scroll down just a bit to the spindles.
Note the Italian (5N) center spacing is 3mm more than British.
IF one had an Italian spindle and wanted to use it in a British BB shell, you wouldn't have enough purchase on the adjustable cup. This would gain the thickness of the spacer.
I have no clue if that's even close, but it's an answer.
Old 11-10-21, 06:48 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
This is a photo of the drive side of my bike. I had this bottom bracket installed several years ago before I knew how to do anything so I have no idea what kind it is or if this is what happened, but it looks like there might be a washer spacer between the bottom bracket and the bottom bracket shell.
Yes, I suspect the spacer was installed to provide chainring clearance using an otherwise-too-short spindle. This is a reasonable hack provided there are enough exposed threads on the adjustable cup to accept the lockring.

I wonder if this would be an option rather than grinding off more threads? It seems like you're going to engage the same amount of threads either way. Whether you don't get it all the way in and miss some of the inner threads or grind off the first few outer threads so that it can go all the way in I can't imagine there would be much of a difference (unless it's not getting far enough in for the other side to tighten). Just a thought.
Why would you want to "grind off threads?" I suppose doing so on the adjustable cup side might allow a lockring to engage the cup if the spacer on the other side meant the adjustable cup had no exposed threads for the lockring. But milling off threads on the fixed cup side would only make the chainring clearance problem worse. Far better to simply get the proper bottom bracket for the crank.

I don't think it's worth pulling the cranks and the bottom bracket to find out what kind it is or see if it has a washer or if that's just the way the drive side of the bottom bracket looks, but I figured it didn't hurt to ask anyway.
Pulling the cranks and bottom bracket would at least allow you to identify the type of cups and spindle are currently installed. You'll need to do that anyway to install the proper length spindle or cartridge.
Old 11-10-21, 09:29 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

I wonder if that's what happened here. This is a photo of the drive side of my bike. I had this bottom bracket installed several years ago before I knew how to do anything so I have no idea what kind it is or if this is what happened, but it looks like there might be a washer spacer between the bottom bracket and the bottom bracket shell. I wonder if this would be an option rather than grinding off more threads? It seems like you're going to engage the same amount of threads either way. Whether you don't get it all the way in and miss some of the inner threads or grind off the first few outer threads so that it can go all the way in I can't imagine there would be much of a difference (unless it's not getting far enough in for the other side to tighten). Just a thought. Wondering if anybody might weigh in on it.
To be clear, my mention of grinding threads was only for the cartridge bottom bracket unit, NOT the frame. I'll try to find a picture.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-10-21, 09:30 AM
cyrano138

To be clear, my mention of grinding threads was only for the cartridge bottom bracket unit, NOT the frame. I'll try to find a picture.
Ah. I misunderstood.
Old 11-10-21, 11:08 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Ah. I misunderstood.
Here we go. Steel loose-ball fixed up on the left, Shimano UN-55 on the right, my Velo-Orange BB in the middle. You can see that the VO's cup is a few millimeters longer than the other ones. Even though the threading is tapered to aid in getting it started, it still met obstacles before it could go in all the way.

I wish I had taken this picture at the beginning of the process, that would have shown the difference more clearly. I had already started to file down the threads on the leading end by this point.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-10-21, 06:42 PM
cyrano138

Here we go. Steel loose-ball fixed up on the left, Shimano UN-55 on the right, my Velo-Orange BB in the middle. You can see that the VO's cup is a few millimeters longer than the other ones. Even though the threading is tapered to aid in getting it started, it still met obstacles before it could go in all the way.

I wish I had taken this picture at the beginning of the process, that would have shown the difference more clearly. I had already started to file down the threads on the leading end by this point.
I hope I do not run into this
Old 11-10-21, 08:56 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts

Ahh. I take it you were grinding threads off the cups, not the bottom bracket shell. My bad.

Still, the real fix for this is to have the threads in the shell chased with a set of piloted taps. These are expensive, so like a bike shop job if this is to be a "one-off" task.