Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bibshorts for regular washing programs

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-22, 06:02 AM
bikeamateur70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Is there a good bibshorts brand or model which can be washed together with regular clothing? Using my Castelli for outdoors rides, but riding on Zwift 5-6 times a week during winter season I need better options. Ideally a mid range expensive bibshorts which can be washed with other sorts of sports clothing in the washing machine (40 degrees celsius + spin-drying).
Old 02-17-22, 06:50 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I wash all my cycling clothing with the rest of the laundry. doesn't matter what the tag says. I have or had bibs from Bontraeger, Pearl I, Aerotek and Castelli. I just don't put to much thought into it.

I have 5 pairs total right now in the rotation.
Likes For sdmc530:
Old 02-17-22, 06:55 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Did the Castelli instructions specify hand wash only? I wash my cycling kit both with and without other laundry, regardless of brand. Air dry but I know many others use the dryer.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 02-17-22, 07:22 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
Cold water, delicate, then 40 minutes gentle dryer cycle works for my Castelli Bibs.
I wash and dry all my cycling gear separate, turned inside out and zipped up.

Do not use an agitator washer, use liquid clear detergent, do not over dry in high heat meant for towels, hang dry inside to complete drying.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 02-17-22, 07:32 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
I try and use the Delicate cycle for all my cycling gear but from time to time it gets thrown into the general wash. The one thing that I always do is hang everything to dry.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 02-17-22, 07:41 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I also just throw my Castelli gear in the general pile. We do gentle wash/dry for everything.

I wash mine every couple of months, this cuts down on any wear from washing. I shower after every ride since I can put myself in the "full" cycle every time.
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 02-17-22, 07:49 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
I hang dry my bike clothes, and usually wash as a separate load. If some get washed with other clothes, it takes a bit of attention to find the shorts to hang them separately, but the washing does no harm. (Assuming, of course, that you don't use bleach on the "general" load!)

I have multiple bibs, and a multiple of that in jerseys, so I only need to wash a couple loads of bike clothes per week.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 02-17-22, 08:00 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by scottfsmith
I also just throw my Castelli gear in the general pile. We do gentle wash/dry for everything.

I wash mine every couple of months, this cuts down on any wear from washing. I shower after every ride since I can put myself in the "full" cycle every time.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 02-17-22, 08:05 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
If my wife had her way, the cycling clothes would be washed separately, on the gentle cycle, dried half way on low, the air dried the rest of the way.
I just shove it in with all my other stuff, wash on regular cycle, and shoved in the dryer until dry..
Likes For leob1:
Old 02-17-22, 08:51 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,828 Times in 2,984 Posts
I have about half a dozen quality bibs that I wear on rotation. When I've gone through 3 or 4 of them I wash them together as a separate load with the rest of my cycling kit on a sports wash cycle (30 degC, no softener etc). As for brands I have a mix of Assos, Rapha and Le Col and they all seem to hold up well to regular machine washing. I don't tumble dry them, just hang to dry overnight. I always have a couple of clean pairs ready to go
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 02-17-22, 08:52 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
I throw my Castelli bibs into the wash with my other cycling clothes. Wash on cold, dry on gentle and I check for when the cycling clothes are dry and pull them out early.

I have some indoor bibs from La Passione - the NDR and they are great for indoor riding and cost about $135. Those go in the wash also.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 02-17-22, 08:53 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by bikeamateur70
Is there a good bibshorts brand or model which can be washed together with regular clothing? Using my Castelli for outdoors rides, but riding on Zwift 5-6 times a week during winter season I need better options. Ideally a mid range expensive bibshorts which can be washed with other sorts of sports clothing in the washing machine (40 degrees celsius + spin-drying).
I feel like there wasn't a direct response to the OP's question.

Unless your gear requires hand washing or specific instructions, it can all be washed with regular clothes. Just make sure to air dry them as a dryer will cause it to lose compression and grippers. I personally wash my cycling gear separately on the delicate cycle since I use a different detergent to help break down the sweat funk.
Likes For oris:
Old 02-17-22, 08:56 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6943 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Cold water, delicate, then 40 minutes gentle dryer cycle works for my Castelli Bibs.
I wash and dry all my cycling gear separate, turned inside out and zipped up.

Do not use an agitator washer, use liquid clear detergent, do not over dry in high heat meant for towels, hang dry inside to complete drying.
Or if you use a washing machine with an agitator, put your cycling clothes in lingerie bags.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-17-22, 09:41 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by oris
I feel like there wasn't a direct response to the OP's question.

Unless your gear requires hand washing or specific instructions, it can all be washed with regular clothes. Just make sure to air dry them as a dryer will cause it to lose compression and grippers. I personally wash my cycling gear separately on the delicate cycle since I use a different detergent to help break down the sweat funk.
Yep, seems not. "Is there a good bibshorts brand or model which can be washed together with regular clothing?"
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 02-17-22, 10:52 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 15,494 Times in 7,317 Posts
I wash mine in the shower with my bike.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-17-22, 11:06 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Cycling clothes go in the wash with all the regular laundry. It doesn't matter.
Likes For prj71:
Old 02-17-22, 11:21 AM
BJack312

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 20 Posts
I have purchased several pairs of Cerotipolar bib shorts off Amazon. They are around $60/pair, and surprisingly good quality. They are holding up quite will after a lot of washing. I wash all of my cycling stuff seperately on regular cycle/cold water and hang to dry.
Likes For BJack312:
Old 02-17-22, 11:25 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Like many have previously stated, I wash my bibs with my regular clothes, too: Cold/Delicate, and hang dry.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-17-22, 11:44 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
I wash mine every couple of months
For most people, this is a sure path to saddle sores. Over the decades and hundreds of thousands of mile, my wife and I have found that the best practice is to wash shorts after every ride.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 02-17-22, 12:52 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
For most people, this is a sure path to saddle sores. Over the decades and hundreds of thousands of mile, my wife and I have found that the best practice is to wash shorts after every ride.
40+ years without sores here.

This is getting off topic but it is more important to cultivate a good skin microbiome than it is to wash wash wash. See https://www.nature.com/articles/nrmicro.2017.157 for example if you want to learn about the skin microbiome and e g. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...howering-wrong for how to cultivate it.
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 02-17-22, 01:13 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,857 Times in 6,071 Posts
I tend to wash my cycling gear (or 'bike togs', as my wife calls them) separately because the wife and kids have qualms about my Old Man Sweat getting on their clothes. And then I hang dry. Once, maybe twice, one of the kids 'helpfully' threw my bike stuff in the dryer, when they wanted to use the washer. Ruined two pair of bib shorts that way - they went from snug to unusably loose. Now, they know not to do that again.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-17-22, 01:18 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

40+ years without sores here.

This is getting off topic but it is more important to cultivate a good skin microbiome than it is to wash wash wash. See https://www.nature.com/articles/nrmicro.2017.157 for example if you want to learn about the skin microbiome and e g. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...howering-wrong for how to cultivate it.
Nooooo. I thought you were making a joke! You live and ride alone, right?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 02-17-22, 01:25 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Most of my kit is from Castelli, but I have the odd pair or two of Hincapie. I put on a fresh pair of bibs every ride and wash them all separately each week. I put them in the dryer on delicate. They're fine.
Likes For caloso:
Old 02-17-22, 01:55 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Nooooo. I thought you were making a joke! You live and ride alone, right?
It was intended to be amusing .. its a running joke in our household. I exaggerated a bit for impact .. 2 months in the winter but in the sweaty summer its once a week into the laundry, whether they need it or not.
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 02-17-22, 02:08 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
I have laundry bags (mesh, zipped bags with a thing to hide the zipper so it doesn't snag stuff) that I throw my kit in after each ride. Those bags just get thrown in with my dark clothes (so washed in regular on cold). The bags make it easier to pick out the cycling clothes so they don't get mixed in with the rest of the clothes. Then I hang dry them while everything else goes in the dryer. If you're going to wash with regular stuff, I can't recommend laundry bags enough as it's so much easier than sorting each individual item out before throwing the in the dryer. My only issue is sometimes my wife steals a bag or 2 for her delicates and then I run out before I'm going to do laundry next (also her bra hooks sometimes get caught in the mess making it hard to get them out and hung up).
Likes For himespau:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.