Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Schwalbe Marathon E-Plus tyre

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-22, 04:51 AM
radpilot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I have a Kona Dew Plus 2012 that has a Kenta 700x35c tyre.
Because I have light CTC (carpal tunnel syndrome) in both hands I want to increase the tyre size to make the ride more comfortable.
I want to try the new Schwalbe Marathon E-Plus tyres.
Up to which size from the following would the frame accommodate?

700 x 38C

700 x 45C
Old 04-27-22, 07:28 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Hello, radpilot . Do you have a specific need for the strong puncture resistance offered by the Marathon Plus series? I ask because the ride quality of these types of tires is generally lower than a tire designed to be light and supple. Going to a larger size will help, but the firm ride quality of the tire will offset that somewhat. If you don't have a specific need for strong puncture resistance, going to a larger size and a more supple tire should make a good difference for you.
Old 04-27-22, 08:12 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
What tire pressures are you running now? Your Kenda's list a low of 50 psi and you could probably go a little lower than that depending on your weight. Just lowering the pressure can have a big effect on comfort as long as it's not too low that you risk denting your rims when hitting potholes and such. To check if a wider tire will fit just measure how much clearance you have with the current tires and do the math. Actual tire sizes can be a little different between makes and models but if you have plenty of clearance it won't be a problem.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 04-27-22 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-27-22, 08:13 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Hello, radpilot . Do you have a specific need for the strong puncture resistance offered by the Marathon Plus series? I ask because the ride quality of these types of tires is generally lower than a tire designed to be light and supple. Going to a larger size will help, but the firm ride quality of the tire will offset that somewhat. If you don't have a specific need for strong puncture resistance, going to a larger size and a more supple tire should make a good difference for you.
for sure they are harsh and thats being kind.
Old 04-27-22, 08:24 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by radpilot
Hello, I have a Kona Dew Plus 2012 that has a Kenta 700x35c tyre.
Because I have light CTC (carpal tunnel syndrome) in both hands I want to increase the tyre size to make the ride more comfortable.
I want to try the new Schwalbe Marathon E-Plus tyres.
Up to which size from the following would the frame accommodate?

700 x 38C

700 x 45C
You probably have a fit problem rather than a tire problem. Make sure you aren't holding your arms straight and locking your elbows when you ride.

E-bike specific tires likely have extra reinforcement to cope with constant and higher torque than humans generally put out, so I would expect the opposite of comfort from them.

That said, the stock tires look pretty heavy and slow from the specs (685g and 22TPI), so you certainly have my blessing to upgrade to something that rolls better.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 04-28-22, 08:41 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
I replaced the original Bontrager tires on my wife's Trek e-assist bike last fall with the same size (622-47/700-45) Schwalbe Marathon E Plus. Online purchase and was surprised at how much more robust they are. Plus: Not expecting to have to deal with punctures or tire damage. Con: Heavy, rugged, stiff. E-assist minimizes extra weight penalty and rolling resistance. No complaints about increased harshness.
Old 04-29-22, 11:19 AM
radpilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply Hokiefyd
You are right, but I was thinking of puncture resistance because of the state of the roads over here and going over some light dirt roads.
Old 04-29-22, 11:25 AM
radpilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
What tire pressures are you running now? Your Kenda's list a low of 50 psi and you could probably go a little lower than that depending on your weight. Just lowering the pressure can have a big effect on comfort as long as it's not too low that you risk denting your rims when hitting potholes and such. To check if a wider tire will fit just measure how much clearance you have with the current tires and do the math. Actual tire sizes can be a little different between makes and models but if you have plenty of clearance it won't be a problem.
I usually go initially with 80 PSI and reinflate when I see that the tyre needs air.
So, say I measure X mm clearance at the worst case how would I know how much bigger tyres I could fit?
Old 04-29-22, 11:30 AM
radpilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any suggestions then for a better tyre than the ones I have that has some puncture protection and can go over road and light dirt roads when commuting?
I understand now that Marathon E-Plus are geared towards ebikes and are heavy and harsh.
What about normal Marathon or Marathon Plus?
Old 04-29-22, 11:35 AM
radpilot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kona tech replied to me. But going only from 35c to 37c looks too little compared to the clearance I see with my own eyes.
"Hi, our sight unseen max tire size for that fork is 37c. Larger may fit but they need to be checked hands on. All tires can have a hop or a wobble that will mean if a bigger tire with a larger runout are installed they will rub under load.

Happy Trails! "
Old 04-29-22, 01:39 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
Try running 50psi and see how you like it. Nothing to lose by trying. If Kona is saying a 37mm or larger will be iffy believe them. As mentioned, the actual tire size isn't always the same as what's on the label and can vary enough between brands and models that if you think it's close when buying it could easily end up being too large. Also consider the actual outer diameter may end up being too large to clear your brakes or frame if it's already a close fit. For good reviews on some of the Marathon versions and other brands this site gives some info on ride quality and puncture resistance and gives some actual measurements you can use to determine actual tire size. Doesn't cover every tire available but a pretty good amount. Bicycle Rolling Resistance | Rolling Resistance Tests

Last edited by Crankycrank; 04-29-22 at 01:52 PM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 05-01-22, 02:37 PM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
Wow! 80 psi in 35mm tire certainly would be more comfy at 50-60 psi. I run 90-95 psi in 23 mm tires and find that adequate.
80 psi in 35mm would be rock hard and as crankycrank points out your frame will not allow much larger. 38 'may' fit or not
and tire to tire variance can be a factor (yrs ago we had 25mm Pro4 Michelins that actually measured 28mm on the tandem).
Major assumptions here that the OP is under 200# in weight or not much over.
Old 05-02-22, 12:11 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
I bought a pair of those E-plus tires last year, but not used yet. They are actually supposed to be less stiff, more grippy and a bit longer lasting.
I may not use them this year either. The 15% recycled tire crap they put in them now is a really stupid idea, IMO.
70 psi air is good for these 36 mm tires.