Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Gorilla glue for inner tube punctures?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Gorilla glue for inner tube punctures?

Old 08-09-22, 04:05 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1919 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 433 Posts
Tire patch glue is just regular rubber cement. The kind you find in hardware stores and craft stores.

There is no such thing as "vulcanizing" tire glue.

My record is 11 patches on a tube.
Old 08-09-22, 10:22 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Tawraste666
No, get good stuff.
A friend of mine used a poundshop puncture repair kit and had the glue melt right off the tube due to the heat generated from braking on a fast and long descent.
Personally, I prefer a brand new tube every time.
Me too.
Old 08-10-22, 01:33 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Tire patch glue is just regular rubber cement. The kind you find in hardware stores and craft stores.

There is no such thing as "vulcanizing" tire glue.

My record is 11 patches on a tube.

There are others too

Old 08-10-22, 02:45 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1919 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 433 Posts
"Vulcanizing" cement is the same as regular rubber cement. Nothing is being vulcanized. It's just a meaningless marketing label slapped on there.

Originally Posted by JoeTBM

There are others too

Last edited by Yan; 08-10-22 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-10-22, 06:04 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Park Tool patch kits work great, too.
I save punctured tubes until I have 3 or 4 of them, and use up a patch kit's tube of glue all at once. The tube glue dries up once it's opened, and won't keep for very long.

accessories
I use some real hardware store sandpaper instead of the cheap, tiny sandpaper patch in the kits, it's faster and more effective. Anywhere from 100 to 220 grit.
A silver sharpie is helpful to mark a big crossed line through the hole, so I can center the patch over the hole easily.
A screwdriver handle or even the patch kit box is good for pressing down on the patch -- I really go over the whole patch with strong pressure.
Old 08-23-22, 03:42 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Park Tool patch kits work great, too.
I save punctured tubes until I have 3 or 4 of them, and use up a patch kit's tube of glue all at once. The tube glue dries up once it's opened, and won't keep for very long.

accessories
I use some real hardware store sandpaper instead of the cheap, tiny sandpaper patch in the kits, it's faster and more effective. Anywhere from 100 to 220 grit.
A silver sharpie is helpful to mark a big crossed line through the hole, so I can center the patch over the hole easily.
A screwdriver handle or even the patch kit box is good for pressing down on the patch -- I really go over the whole patch with strong pressure.
The glue tube will eventually dry up, but I have one that's been opened a year and it still is useable; but I always carry a new unopened one just in case.