Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Learn me about headsets

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Learn me about headsets

Old 09-15-22, 08:12 AM
  #1  
TakingMyTime
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Alamitos, Calif.
Posts: 2,307

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 432 Posts
Learn me about headsets

I'm slowly trying to gather all the specs and replacement part numbers for my new Canyon Endurace. Yes, I understand I'm way ahead of myself and will not need new headset bearings for a very long time. This is more of a recon exercise for my own knowledge and parts database.

Are all 1 1/4 inch sealed headset bearings the same (I know they're not)? I called Canyon to try and get the sealed headset bearing number (spec) and when I asked for specifics they only directed me to their website. For example, the wheel bearings are 6902's. But no one there seemed to know the specs for the headset. I figure next time I do a "clean and inspection" of the fork I could check what is stamped on the bearings, but I thought it was rather odd that no one knew.
TakingMyTime is offline  
Old 09-15-22, 08:45 AM
  #2  
Crankycrank
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,141
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 512 Posts
Yes, Canyon would be the place to ask for the proper size so since you have already called them with no luck try this page and enter the frames serial number and see what comes up. You could also shoot them an email rather than a call as you may get someone more helpful.
Crankycrank is offline  
Old 09-15-22, 09:01 AM
  #3  
Andrew R Stewart 
Senior Member
 
Andrew R Stewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 16,756

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Srewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3639 Post(s)
Liked 2,582 Times in 1,621 Posts
This illustrates what us wrenches go through and can get blamed for being in the dark about. Canyon has decided on a business model that bypasses the experienced experts. To which I say too bad for their customers when they realize some of the cost of having that brand is about info and support.

I suggest just what the OP plans on doing. Take the fork out and measure the bearings in hand. The bearings might have a spec number marked on them but might not or could use a nomenclature that is not a bearing industry standard. I also agree with banking spares for the future, especially with a bike brand that isn't stocked and sold in the wider bike industry's business model the LBS. Andy
__________________
AndrewRStewart
Andrew R Stewart is offline  
Likes For Andrew R Stewart:
Old 09-15-22, 09:28 AM
  #4  
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness
 
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 2,019

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Trek FX 2

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 635 Times in 482 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
I'm slowly trying to gather all the specs and replacement part numbers for my new Canyon Endurace. Yes, I understand I'm way ahead of myself and will not need new headset bearings for a very long time. This is more of a recon exercise for my own knowledge and parts database.

Are all 1 1/4 inch sealed headset bearings the same (I know they're not)? I called Canyon to try and get the sealed headset bearing number (spec) and when I asked for specifics they only directed me to their website. For example, the wheel bearings are 6902's. But no one there seemed to know the specs for the headset. I figure next time I do a "clean and inspection" of the fork I could check what is stamped on the bearings, but I thought it was rather odd that no one knew.
While you are at it, will you please confirm whether Canyon installed a compression plug in the steerer?

I am also considering this bike, but I passed on it once (the last time a size S was available with a 50/34 crankset) because of the 1-1/4" steerer, the lack of compatible stems, and the potential absence of a compression plug. You are thinking even further ahead, which is to be commended.
SoSmellyAir is offline  
Old 09-15-22, 12:02 PM
  #5  
TakingMyTime
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Alamitos, Calif.
Posts: 2,307

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
This illustrates what us wrenches go through and can get blamed for being in the dark about. Canyon has decided on a business model that bypasses the experienced experts. To which I say too bad for their customers when they realize some of the cost of having that brand is about info and support.

I suggest just what the OP plans on doing. Take the fork out and measure the bearings in hand. The bearings might have a spec number marked on them but might not or could use a nomenclature that is not a bearing industry standard. I also agree with banking spares for the future, especially with a bike brand that isn't stocked and sold in the wider bike industry's business model the LBS. Andy
I totally agree. My plan "B" was going to take a close look at the bearing during the next routine clean and lube job. I also agree and would like to point out that although I absolutely love my bike, if you were not fluent in bike repair the bike probably would have cost another $100 or so in order to align the drivetrain. Although they include a beam time torque wrench to help you put it together I would also suggest making sure you have your own Torque wrench.

I also found out that Canyon USA is an entity of its own and operates under the Canyon brand umbrella, Parts are available but not in the US and the other coutries have restrictions regarding shipping to USA. I'm going to circumvent this since my brother has an apartment in Paris and I'm going to order the parts from their French site and have them delivered to him..
TakingMyTime is offline  
Old 09-15-22, 12:05 PM
  #6  
TakingMyTime
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Alamitos, Calif.
Posts: 2,307

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 902 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 432 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir View Post
While you are at it, will you please confirm whether Canyon installed a compression plug in the steerer?

I am also considering this bike, but I passed on it once (the last time a size S was available with a 50/34 crankset) because of the 1-1/4" steerer, the lack of compatible stems, and the potential absence of a compression plug. You are thinking even further ahead, which is to be commended.
I'm on a mission to buy any Canyon specific part and have it in my toolbox even if I don't see myself needing them for 5-10 years. Things like dropout covers and frame grommets. I'd rather get them now rather than buy them off of someone online who wants a fortune for them because they're not made anymore.
TakingMyTime is offline  
Old 09-16-22, 07:04 AM
  #7  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 12,509
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2465 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 631 Posts
Teach me
djb is offline  
Old 09-16-22, 02:10 PM
  #8  
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic
 
3alarmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Big Tomato
Posts: 21,291

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 296 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24228 Post(s)
Liked 7,922 Times in 5,553 Posts
.
...in the FWIW department: in all my adventures with replacing various seald bearing cartridges herre, I have been well served by my local bearing supply house, Motion Industries. I go over there, bearing cartridges in my sweaty, greasy little hands, hand them to the guy behind the counter, and tell him I want whatever they sell as a replacement for it. He takes out a caliper, mumbles to himself a little, jots down some numbers, looks on his computer, disappears back into the warehouse., and reappears later with the replacements in hand. This has happened to me so many times, that I have come to depend on it.

Oddly, in that same time period, they have stopped carrying loose balls in their warehouse, and I now have to order those through their central supply warehouse. I guess there is so little call for loose balls, that they're not worth the shelf space now.

Anyway, if you have a Motion Industries branch near you, this will probably work for you, too.
__________________
3alarmer is online now  
Old 09-16-22, 07:14 PM
  #9  
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ,location, location
Posts: 10,641

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3162 Post(s)
Liked 2,424 Times in 1,610 Posts
Originally Posted by djb View Post
Teach me
Dang ole fancy talkers with their book learnin and fancy talkin. If he done wants to be learnt let him be learnt. I done recommend usin' your typey television to send yourself one of them e-lectronical messages to the Canyons and ask them.
veganbikes is offline  
Old 09-16-22, 08:28 PM
  #10  
djb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal Canada
Posts: 12,509
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2465 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes View Post
Dang ole fancy talkers with their book learnin and fancy talkin. If he done wants to be learnt let him be learnt. I done recommend usin' your typey television to send yourself one of them e-lectronical messages to the Canyons and ask them.
That garnered a smile.
djb is offline  
Likes For djb:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.