Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

WD-40 on a rusty chain?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

WD-40 on a rusty chain?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-08, 10:48 PM
toofastgt

Location: mostly flat florida though I do live near the ridge I have 200' foot elevation ride wich is rare!!

Bikes: El cheapo specials for road and Mtb and a GT bmx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may as well use kerosene or diesel fuel since WD-40 is 80% kerosene!! Here's another vote for PB
blaster to break through the rust, then a wire brush to get the scale off, then hose it off to kind of get
the scale from out between the links, then a good coating of spray White lithium grease but you need to
leave the can in the sun as well as the chain that way the WLG is thinner from the heat and the chain is
expanded to ensure there is just a tad bit more space for the lube to get in. Even spray silicone lube is
a better chain lube and it will not leave any residue since it stays pretty clean. (wallyworld has silicone for
a $1.59 a can) silicone spray also makes a great cable lube since it is so thin and slick!! If used for a chain
and cable lube it does have to be reapplied more often.
Old 06-27-08, 11:46 PM
TalkingHead
Commie

Bikes: Trek 7.3 FX, old Haro(92)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
been using this stuff for a while now, works great. My shifts are almost flawless, except going out of 5-6..needs some adjustment, but otherwise this stuff works good, last long while also.

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Multi-U...4631905&sr=1-1

a can or two should last at least 8 months
Old 06-28-08, 09:29 AM
jpmartineau

Bikes: 2008 Surly LHT complete & 1988-ish fuglyfixed Specialized RockHopper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BCRider
Um... sorry but no it isn't water based. It's water DISPLACING.
True, sorry about that.
Old 06-28-08, 10:40 AM
freako
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EatMyA**
Old chains break though. I ALWAYS replace a chain.
And that's why the question wasn't answered! Rusty chains are completely unreliable and for less then 5 gallons of gas you can buy a new chain. Geez that last statement sounded weird.
Old 06-28-08, 12:43 PM
DannoXYZ 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ablang
I have a co-worker I'll call "Eric". Yesterday, I got to see his bikes (he has 4) at his place. He has a mtn bike (main) in the garage and 3 in the backyard. The last 3 seem to have been there for a while exposed to the elements. They all have rusty chains and I'm sure flat tires.
What kind of bikes are these? From the description of "Eric", these bikes can't be worth more than $20 each anyway. So it wouldn't make sense to spend more than the value of a bike on a new chain. Motor oil would work better than WD40 and cheaper too.
Old 06-28-08, 12:52 PM
kellyjdrummer

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Logic is just plain..........sexy.

Old 06-28-08, 08:54 PM
shecky

Bikes: Rustbuckets, the lot of them.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WD40 carries all kinds of lore. The truth is that it's mostly solvent and mineral oil. As such, it's a perfectly serviceable chain lube. It's all I've used on my fixie for years now, with no ill effects. For Eric, it's probably all he'll ever need.

Personally, a chain that's rusty is ripe for replacement, as rust may indicate a significant structural weakening that's difficult even with extremely close inspection.

I doubt Eric is so finicky, however.
Old 06-29-08, 04:07 AM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I have salvaged old rusty chains - after replacing them with new ones. Don't use them on bikes though, I wouldn't fancy standing on the pedals when a sideplate snapped! We use them to set up moving targets at my rifle club - greased, because they are left outdoors very light load and slow speed electric motor. Maybe there is a case for coating a bike chain with grease if said bike is to be stored outside? OK it'll pick up crud and make your socks dirty but it might protect from the weather - any views on that?
Old 06-29-08, 12:27 PM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Chain lubing is the single most over-thought aspect of bike maintenance. A chain is a temporary item. In the interest of saving money it makes a lot of sense to clean it regularly and then lube it well after. But since the chain will not be on the bike for 20 years (that is, if the bike is used regularly), there is a steep diminishing return on maintaining them impecably.

I fix and flip a lot of bikes, and I would have to vote for ANY lubrication at all on most bikes. WD-40 is not ideal (since it is really a solvent, and not a straight-forward lubricant), but better than nothing.

In fact, I have a pet theory that if one was somewhat dilligent about using WD-40 and recoated it frequently, it would be a pretty good chain lube. It is light so it will not collect too much gunk, and applying it tends to clean the chain somewhat. My biggest caveat would be that since it is a solvent, make sure to keep it the heck away from any bearings. Spray it around your hubs or your BB, and you could have some real trouble.

jim
Old 06-29-08, 12:45 PM
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze

Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by speedlever
Well let's see. I find Pro-Link Gold to run about $8 a bottle. A bottle may last me a month or two, depending on how much riding I do. So either I clean and lube my chain too often (every 500 miles), or I use too much lube when I do. I do wipe the chain down with a shop towel soaked in lube after each ride, so that contributes greatly to lube usage.

How do you get $5 worth of lube to last 2 years? I'm really curious.
So you're either riding 10000 miles a month, or you are using WAY too much lube.
Old 05-16-15, 04:05 PM
fdavis99

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by freako
You know, all WD40 is is modified fish oil!
No, it's light mineral oil and a bunch of very light petroleum-based compounds. Wired had it analyzed: What's Inside WD-40? Superlube's Secret Sauce The light compounds flow very easily and penetrate everywhere, taking the dissolved mineral oil with them. Two of the light compounds are water-repellent, which displace water (WD = Water Displacer). They also evaporate quickly, leaving behind the light mineral oil. That is a very light lubricant, so it doesn't last very long on a bike chain, but people who spray their chain with WD-40 frequently have great experiences. If you want it to be well-lubricated for longer, follow up with a proper lubricant.

BTW, motor oil is not a great idea for exposed mechanical parts because it has detergents designed to clean combustion byproducts, and is designed to lubricate under constant high pressure.

Chain Maintenance is a very clear, detailed discussion about bike chains.

Last edited by fdavis99; 05-16-15 at 04:07 PM. Reason: clarified
Old 05-16-15, 04:52 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
After seven years the formula could have changed.
Old 05-16-15, 05:35 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18353 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
I've broken loose rusty chains with WD-40, and a bit of wiggling. It works. I'm not sure about long-term lube, but the chains I did that on probably were left out in the rain immediately afterwards, so they would need another dose of WD40 (or whatever your favorite super light penetrating lube is).

Originally Posted by DMF
Anyone wanna guess how much "chain stretch" 'Eric' is riding on?
My guess is Zero stretch.
The bike with the rusty chain probably gets ridden 10 miles a year.
It should be good for 100 years before it would get significant chain stretch.
Old 05-16-15, 05:55 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
clever idea to invent Eric, your misguided mystery friend. we can abuse him or her to our heart's content with a clear conscience.
Old 05-16-15, 05:58 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
WD40 now has a bike lube specific spray.
Old 05-16-15, 06:08 PM
IcySmooth52

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I thought I'd add my $0.02

As stated by many, WD-40 is a penetrating oil for displacing water. I keep a bottle of it in my tool kit at events because it has many possible uses, but it's NOT IDEAL for any but water displacement. And I NEVER use it as chain lube because it won't stay or prevent wear. Even the company WD-40 has different products for what's being talked about here:

Penetrating to loosen upWD-40's version of PB Blaster.
Removing rustWhat Eric should use on the chain first.
Chain lube What Eric should use after.

But my vote is still with get a new chain. (And keep it lubed)

One thing people don't realize is you should put lube on a brand new chain once installed because that light sticky chemical on the chain isn't a lube, but a rust inhibitor that'll soon leave after opening the package.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
lube.jpg (23.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg
product-penetrant.jpg (22.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: png
product-rust.png (99.5 KB, 21 views)
Old 05-16-15, 07:41 PM
Willbird

Bikes: 2001 Trek Multitrack 7200, 2104 Fuji Sportif 1.5

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I look at WD40 as a very very inexpensive petro based flushing agent, if you buy it on sale there is not much cheaper in a spray can that will still leave a petro film.

It is probably not an ideal lubricant for anything really, but if you flush out any nasty stuff, and blow it as dry as you can with an air gun on your air compressor hose, then you can add the proper lubricant.

I have seen advocates here however for nothing but WD40 as chain lube, they apply it before every ride, wipe off all they can, and go ride, and they seem happy :-).

One thing people don't realize is you should put lube on a brand new chain once installed because that light sticky chemical on the chain isn't a lube, but a rust inhibitor that'll soon leave after opening the package.
That stuff is a very good lube actually, lots and lots of folks would love to be able to buy it, but it is applied in a hot bath process that joe average may not be able to duplicate in the garage of his condo.

From Sheldon Brown.....

[h=3]Factory Lube[/h]
New chains come pre-lubricated with a grease-type lubricant which has been installed at the factory. This is an excellentlubricant, and has been made to permeate all of the internal interstices in the chain.This factory lube is superior to any lube that you can apply after the fact.Some people make the bad mistake of deliberately removing this superior lubricant. Don't do this!The factory lubricant all by itself is usually good for several hundred miles of service if the bike is not ridden in wet or dusty conditions. It is best not to apply any sort of lube to a new chain until it is clearly needed, because any wet lube you can apply will dilute the factory lube.
[This type of lubricant, like wax, needs to be heated during application, but it could be applied at home or in the bike shop too, if available -- John Allen]
Bill

Last edited by Willbird; 05-16-15 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-16-15, 09:57 PM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My guess is Zero stretch.
The bike with the rusty chain probably gets ridden 10 miles a year.
It should be good for 100 years before it would get significant chain stretch.
My guess is that you'd be wrong. Chains - especially un-lubed chains - rust very quickly. Someone puts a bike up for the winter by leaning it against the house and it could easily be rusted solid by spring. And rust is a great abrasive. One year of even light riding on a chain in such a condition will ruin the chain, i.e. push the wear past spec.

Now why have we resurrected a relatively worthless, 7 year old, thread ??

- Will Rogers
Old 05-17-15, 03:45 AM
migrantwing

Bikes: '07 Carrera TDF / 2011 Ghost Race Actinum 5000

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
It may only be surface rust. I cleaned a pretty badly rusted chain down for a customer the other day with WD40 and GT85. It all depends on how bad the chain is rusted. The one I cleaned and salvaged was pretty bad.

I use an ultrasonic cleaner for rusted/gunked up stuff, if it's really bad. Worse than that, then it's a new chain.
Old 05-17-15, 07:40 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
IMO a rusty chain is a dead chain. No matter how much you "clean" it, with what ever, there will still be rust present. Rust is a great cutting compound that will wear out the chain and worse yet chain rings and cassette. Buy a new chain.
Old 05-17-15, 07:42 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Originally Posted by migrantwing
It may only be surface rust. I cleaned a pretty badly rusted chain down for a customer the other day with WD40 and GT85. It all depends on how bad the chain is rusted. The one I cleaned and salvaged was pretty bad.

I use an ultrasonic cleaner for rusted/gunked up stuff, if it's really bad. Worse than that, then it's a new chain.
Clean it up and ride.

Old 05-17-15, 08:25 AM
Willbird

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by AnkleWork
After seven years the formula could have changed.
The MSDS is online, and the UK MSDS or whatever they call it is often more illuminating than the USA ones, the UK ones have to list all the ingredients.

Bill
Old 05-17-15, 08:27 AM
IcySmooth52

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Willbird
That stuff is a very good lube actually, lots and lots of folks would love to be able to buy it, but it is applied in a hot bath process that joe average may not be able to duplicate in the garage of his condo.
This is quite conflicting on what I've heard from SRAM, KHC & Shimano reps.
Old 05-17-15, 08:35 AM
Willbird

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by IcySmooth52
This is quite conflicting on what I've heard from SRAM, KHC & Shimano reps.
Well dear old departed Sheldon no doubt had chains older than those 3 guys and gals (maybe) together had been alive ;-).

So to be clear, they told you that leaving that stuff on there would cause an issue ??

I have a KMC 8 speed chain on my Trek 7200 that I bought, put on with new cassette, and rode for 1500 miles before I thought to do a THING to it, and that thing was to measure over 10 links with a dial caliper, it is near the end of it's life. It was stored inside that whole time, ridden nearly every day, never had a drop of any chain lube applied. I did wash it out in mineral spirits and lube it with ATF. I put another 800 miles or so on that bike this winter...cleaned that chain and relubed it with ATF a few times, it has Mao Mart White Lightning Epic Ride on it right now, but still going strong.

Bill
Old 05-17-15, 08:49 AM
IcySmooth52

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Willbird
Well dear old departed Sheldon no doubt had chains older than those 3 guys and gals (maybe) together had been alive ;-).

So to be clear, they told you that leaving that stuff on there would cause an issue ??
It could be that what Sheldon spoke of isn't the industry practice after 7 years of his death. The issue with relying on this factory wax is the same as WD-40 for a lube. It won't serve the purpose as a chain lube.

BTW, I hope you apply Epic Ride often enough. It doesn't stick around as long as many lubes. (I use it and have seen statistics. Longevity is only downfall)

Last edited by IcySmooth52; 05-17-15 at 08:51 AM. Reason: grammar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.