Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Jamis Allegro Bicycle

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Jamis Allegro Bicycle

Old 10-16-22, 01:16 PM
jimothyjames
:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Jamis Allegro Bicycle

I’m looking for a used bike to ride for the fall season. I’m 5’8”, it’s a 19” frame bike. Does anyone have a Jamis Allegro and can tell me how they like it for bike path/light trail use? It seems to be from the year 2011 and the asking price for it is $250.

Old 10-17-22, 08:25 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
What's your inseam with shoes on? 19" is going to be big for someone your height.

At my height of 5'9" my pals wouldn't like that.........
Old 10-17-22, 09:27 AM
jimothyjames
:)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by StarBiker
What's your inseam with shoes on? 19" is going to be big for someone your height.

At my height of 5'9" my pals wouldn't like that.........
thank you for your input. My bike Inseam with shoes on is 32” or 33”. I’m thinking maybe a 17.5-18” might be a better fit for me frame wise?
Old 10-17-22, 10:38 AM
StarBiker

^
If you can stand over the bike, and clear it with a half inch, or more it might work for you. But a 17" to 18" would definitely be a better fit.

I am riding a 17" now that is probably a tad small, but I find the bike comfortable, and it was $22 so.......(More like a $100 with consumables replaced) shrug........

More steel...........
Likes For StarBiker:
Old 10-18-22, 10:18 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by jimothyjames
thank you for your input. My bike Inseam with shoes on is 32” or 33”. I’m thinking maybe a 17.5-18” might be a better fit for me frame wise?
With an inseam like that, I'm thinking the frame might fit you well. Is that your pants inseam or true pubic bone height? I have a 34" (or so) pubic bone height and most of my frames are 20-21", but I definitely have shorter ones as well. In general, I find it easier to make a small bike larger than to make a large bike smaller.

Regarding the bike itself, $250 seems like pandemic pricing to me. I think $150 is probably a better reflection of its market value today. If you like the bike and you end up looking at it and it fits well, I'd suggest seeing how much you can work the seller down on the price. Keep in mind that it more than likely needs new cables, cable housings, and possibly a chain as well. It also likely needs new brake pads because the originals will have really hardened up by now.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 10-18-22, 07:12 PM
StarBiker

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
With an inseam like that, I'm thinking the frame might fit you well. Is that your pants inseam or true pubic bone height? I have a 34" (or so) pubic bone height and most of my frames are 20-21", but I definitely have shorter ones as well. In general, I find it easier to make a small bike larger than to make a large bike smaller.

Regarding the bike itself, $250 seems like pandemic pricing to me. I think $150 is probably a better reflection of its market value today. If you like the bike and you end up looking at it and it fits well, I'd suggest seeing how much you can work the seller down on the price. Keep in mind that it more than likely needs new cables, cable housings, and possibly a chain as well. It also likely needs new brake pads because the originals will have really hardened up by now.
That's why I said 17-18. I stand over that 17" Giant and a 19" without shoes would be hitting my pals.
Likes For StarBiker:
Old 10-22-22, 09:52 AM
vonfilm 

Bikes: 73 Super Sport, 86 Tempo, 86 Peloton, 87 Super Sport, 83 Peugeot PFN10, 76 Super Course MK IV, 94 Univega Alpina 5.5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 34 Posts
I’m 5’9” and ride a 20” Trek 7100. I think you ought to ride it and decide for yourself. I have often preferred a larger size than other people recommended.
1983 Gitane Super Corsa
1991 Trek 750 Multitrack