Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helios front mast

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helios front mast

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-22, 01:13 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Schwinnsta
. Save an eBay search Dahon handlebar post, stem, mast. Don't specify Helios.
yes, on EU site, they were called "pre 2004 handlebar post" or "up to 2003 handlebar post".

Something, it is just easier to look on ebay, craiglist etc. for an old bike used for spares as a donor.
Old 11-18-22, 04:26 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Fentuz
Hi,
I did a thread about my helios and how I learnt to modify it on the cheap. https://www.bikeforums.net/folding-b...e-type-tt.html
I didn't like the telescopic handle bar stem/post either so I fitted the one you find on Speed TT and Mu SL (and many others). This type is shorter and has a T fitting that required something like the litepro stuff above.

However, while I generally like the litepro bite, do NOT use this "extender". The clamp are made of smooth soft anodized aluminium and when you get on rough road or get out of the saddle a put some weight on the front while climbing a hill, the extender stem collapses... The genuine product, Syntace VRO adaptor, fitted by Dahon and Tern is properly designed with a knurled inner surface and hi tensile bolts; these 2 things allow adequate clamping a since fitted, I've never had any other issue (even off road).
Fentuz, can you find an example of the Syntace VRO adaptor which shows the knurling that you cited? Every one that I see is smooth within the clamp, just like the Litepro component that's in question here.
Old 11-18-22, 04:51 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

I see the knurling, now. You have to look pretty close because it's aparently very tiny.
Old 11-19-22, 12:46 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Originally Posted by Nyah
Fentuz, can you find an example of the Syntace VRO adaptor which shows the knurling that you cited? Every one that I see is smooth within the clamp, just like the Litepro component that's in question here.
you can zoom in and see the straight knurling (grooves and webs.)
https://www.syntace.com/en_GB/produc....4-clamps?c=79

Old 11-19-22, 10:29 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

If people are having a hard time finding a Syntace VRO, there are other extender/adaptor products that also have knurled clamps, such as this one by TranzX - I'm not sure that the clamps separate from the cross-piece or not. Just to be safe, get a handlpost with a double-bolt clamp head.

If you already have the Litepro pruduct, though and you will be using flat handlebars, you might be good to go already. Fentuz and I use drop-bars, which impose more levered force on the stem than flat bars do.
Old 11-21-22, 02:08 AM
Fentuz

Originally Posted by Nyah
If you already have the Litepro pruduct, though and you will be using flat handlebars, you might be good to go already. Fentuz and I use drop-bars, which impose more levered force on the stem than flat bars do.
Yes, it might be worth trying carbon assembly paste too. it is a grease loaded with particles so when it is not clamped, it acts as a lubricant and when it is clamped, the particules are crushed between to tube and the clamp creating a locking grip. I use it on the gravel bike on seatpost, stem/handlebars and have also applying it to alivio/altus/sora flat trigger shifter clamp (plastic so I don't need to tighten to clamp and "murder" the plastic ring.)