Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Synapse Carbon 3 L 2022

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-20-22, 07:25 AM
mlp0807
Athena

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yesterday, I looked at the new synapse and even put a deposit down to hold the bike until I complete my new bike fit. I was intrigued by the integrated smart sense front/rear light and Garmin Varia radar. After watching several online reviews I’m not sure I’m wanting this bike.

Questions the smart sense battery placement is on the down tube right under a bottle cage. I know the first version of Di2 had an external battery. What issues did this cause and what issues might the smart sense have?

Also, I’m not sure the front light assembly is removable for racing.

Any other red flags?

My main reason for wanting this bike was the built in lighting. No more charging multiple lights and trying attach them.
Old 03-20-22, 10:48 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
I got this exact bike and I love it. I pulled the smartsense out immediately and I have the cover (Cannondale Synapse DT Cover, K34621) on order for the cavity. The smartsense took me 5 minutes to remove...its all comes off very easily and the internal cables come apart in front of and behind the battery pack so it just pulls out from the front frame routing port and the seat tube.

The bike itself is everything I wanted. Great geometry, fast, stable and really nice looking bike. I'm replacing most of the components with stuff I already have though. I have a carbon wheelset on order that will really make a difference over the heavy stock wheelset.
Old 03-20-22, 12:12 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
I too was impressed with the new Synapse but the addition of the lights really turned me off from the purchase. I guess I see those electronics as something that should be left to an individual's own taste. To me it's akin to putting mirrors on the bike from the factory. Let me decide, don't charge me for something I don't really want.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 03-20-22, 12:32 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
I too was impressed with the new Synapse but the addition of the lights really turned me off from the purchase. I guess I see those electronics as something that should be left to an individual's own taste. To me it's akin to putting mirrors on the bike from the factory. Let me decide, don't charge me for something I don't really want.
Well, like I mentioned, they come right off and its not an issue aside from the aesthetics of the plate covering the cavity which I understand is also to personal preference. I doubt the cost of the lighting system makes any real difference to the cost of the bike.

You can also get the base model (Tiagra groupset) that comes with the cover plate and not the battery or lighting system.
Old 03-20-22, 12:45 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Originally Posted by KJ43
Well, like I mentioned, they come right off and its not an issue aside from the aesthetics of the plate covering the cavity which I understand is also to personal preference. I doubt the cost of the lighting system makes any real difference to the cost of the bike.

You can also get the base model (Tiagra groupset) that comes with the cover plate and not the battery or lighting system.

you are correct on all points.
Likes For TakingMyTime:
Old 03-20-22, 02:32 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4384 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,979 Posts

It will be built to a target price point and the component spec will be a compromise to hit that point. The added lighting components will be part of that overall compromise. Nothing is for free.
Old 03-20-22, 02:55 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Originally Posted by PeteHski
It will be built to a target price point and the component spec will be a compromise to hit that point. The added lighting components will be part of that overall compromise. Nothing is for free.
Spare me. Negligible to the point of "not making any real difference". Try to keep up.
Old 07-06-22, 10:58 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 666 Times in 280 Posts
I got this exact bike and I love it. I pulled the smartsense out immediately and I have the cover (Cannondale Synapse DT Cover, K34621) on order for the cavity. The smartsense took me 5 minutes to remove...its all comes off very easily and the internal cables come apart in front of and behind the battery pack so it just pulls out from the front frame routing port and the seat tube.

The bike itself is everything I wanted. Great geometry, fast, stable and really nice looking bike. I'm replacing most of the components with stuff I already have though. I have a carbon wheelset on order that will really make a difference over the heavy stock wheelset.
Did you ever get the DT cover? Pics on the bike? Also considering the new Synapse but my concern is battery replacement once the unit dies...
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 07-06-22, 03:14 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Originally Posted by Caliwild
Did you ever get the DT cover? Pics on the bike? Also considering the new Synapse but my concern is battery replacement once the unit dies...
I did. I pulled the smartsense from the bike the instant I got it home and rode with the open battery recess until I got a cover delivered.

I ordered one through the shop I bought my bike and I found one online. The shop (not my regular shop) did not know how to find the part until I provided them the part #.

But Cannondalespares.com has them available. You can find the part HERE. Just so it's clear, the sticker was added by me, the cover itself comes completely free of decoration.

Likes For KJ43:
Old 07-08-22, 08:02 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
I doubt the cost of the lighting system makes any real difference to the cost of the bike.
I would agree if this was solely about the LEDS and the battery, but the Varia electronics got to be more expensive. May still not be a significant cost on the BOM. How much weight reduction from removing front light, Varia rear light, battery, and associated wiring?

Trek Domane has a downtube storage area under a cover; I would have thought that Cannondale could have readily engineered a battery which fits under rather than that plate.
Old 07-08-22, 09:41 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I would agree if this was solely about the LEDS and the battery, but the Varia electronics got to be more expensive. May still not be a significant cost on the BOM. How much weight reduction from removing front light, Varia rear light, battery, and associated wiring?

Trek Domane has a downtube storage area under a cover; I would have thought that Cannondale could have readily engineered a battery which fits under rather than that plate.
I could care less about the weight reduction of the smartsense system so if you want that information you might search online for it. Whatever the cost of the system I would still consider it negligible imo to the cost of the bike as I'm not really to concerned about minor costs.

My bike currently set up with pedals, bottle cages, 28mm clinchers with latex tubes is about 19.8 lbs (Shimano 105 groupset). I primarily ride my gravel bike but love riding the Synapse on pure road rides and it's fast, stiff, and comfortable to ride. I have added a new wheelset, changed out the bars, stem, seatpost, seat.

Last edited by KJ43; 07-08-22 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-08-22, 10:00 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
The Synapse looks like an awesome bike. The "integrated" lighting is a bit clunky and I'd probably remove it as well.

That downtube compartment looks like it would be perfect for onboard storage. Does anyone make an aftermarket kit to convert it for this use?
Also does this bike still have the AI rear wheel offset?
Old 07-08-22, 10:24 AM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Originally Posted by msu2001la
The Synapse looks like an awesome bike. The "integrated" lighting is a bit clunky and I'd probably remove it as well.

That downtube compartment looks like it would be perfect for onboard storage. Does anyone make an aftermarket kit to convert it for this use?
I think I've seen snippets here and there online about the possibility of using the recess for things other than the smartsense. I'm fine with the cover for now.

One reason I picked the Synapse is because the new version moved away from proprietary stuff. BSA BB, normal seatpost, easy cable routing, etc. Nothing weird. I picked up a Lightbicycle wheelset with standard offset.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 07-08-22, 11:09 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
The Synapse looks like an awesome bike.
Yes! I have a 2016 Synapse that is now 2 generations old.

The "integrated" lighting is a bit clunky and I'd probably remove it as well.
Same here. But removing a Varia rear radar seems a bit of a waste.

Exactly my point above.

My 2016 Synapse does not have this, and neither does the following generation, from a quick look on the web. But the Ai drive train offset is on at least certain models of Synapse NEO e-bike and SuperSix Evo CX from the same period.
Old 07-23-22, 03:14 PM
HankSc0rpi0

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Synapse LTD RLE and thinking of doing what the OP did. There is a major manufacturing design flaw with the way it is attached to the Cannondale system bar and LBS is confused. To elaborate the bolt on the go pro attachment keeping the light attached to the out front cannot be removed as the bolt cannot back out all the way due to the side of the out front fouling it.
And if you can't remove the light you can't get at the bolt above it holding on the cable management piece that clamps the wire that goes from the light to the varia head unit in place. So this means you cannot get the varia out either. Result is you can't use a bike computer and if something goes wrong with the light, no way to remove it.
See page 21. of the manual. Can't post URL's yet but google Cannondale manuals and pick Synapse 2022
Old 08-21-22, 08:41 PM
wildstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I have a 2015 Carbon 105 Synapse that I love, great bike!

I was thinking about treating myself to a new Ultegra equipped model and I have to admit, I am bummed to see they only offer it with smartsense. I won't buy one with it.

I don't want to pay extra for something I don't want and don't want the big space in the frame. It's good they have the cover but still, at that price point it looks kinda like an afterthought.

Come on Cannondale, give us customers what we want. 105 and Ultegra carbon Synapses with standard groupsets without the doodads!
Old 08-23-22, 01:24 PM
maxrun

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I got this exact bike and I love it. I pulled the smartsense out immediately and I have the cover on order for the cavity. The smartsense took me 5 minutes to remove...its all comes off very easily and the internal cables come apart in front of and behind the battery pack so it just pulls out from the front frame routing port and the seat tube.

Life saver! I love everything about the Synapse 3L except for smartsense. I am picking the bike up tonight and was wondering if there was a way of removing it. I know this post is a little old but i was wondering if you could snap some pics of the front of the bike and any holes that were left exposed.

Appreciate the help!

ps: Thanks for the link to the cavity cover as well
Likes For maxrun:
Old 08-23-22, 02:58 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Originally Posted by maxrun
Life saver! I love everything about the Synapse 3L except for smartsense. I am picking the bike up tonight and was wondering if there was a way of removing it. I know this post is a little old but i was wondering if you could snap some pics of the front of the bike and any holes that were left exposed.

Appreciate the help!

ps: Thanks for the link to the cavity cover as well
The only cavity is the main one. All other cables for smart sense are routed through either the front cable (shift and brake) opening or down the seatpost and seat tube. The smart sense is super easy to remove and the only remainder after it's gone is the main cavity that the cover installs over.
Old 11-24-22, 07:10 AM
Daneincph

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stem and handlebar sizes

Where can I find the standard stem length and handlebar width for size 56 Synapse 2 LE?