Search
Notices
Mid-Atlantic Pennsylvania | Maryland | DC | Delaware | West Virginia | Virginia
View Poll Results: Which one would you recommend?
D and L (new adventure, totally worth it!)
0%
C and O/GAP(The best for a reason, go with what you know!)
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

D and L vs C and O/GAP

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-22, 12:20 PM
Wittn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
D and L vs C and O/GAP

Hello everyone! I originally posted this in the northeast region, but realized it probably fits better here…I am New to the Forums here so I appreciate any help you can provide.

I’m looking into taking a trip on one of the above trails this spring, and I have to choose one. I’ve done the CandO/Gap many times and truly love it. Wanted to get opinions on how the D and L compares, is it a worthwhile adventure? I know it’s not quite complete and probably doesn’t have the level of establishment that C and O has, but I’d love to try something different that’s related to my hometown (Wilkes Barre ). Any thoughts/opinions appreciated!
​​​​​​​
Old 11-27-22, 03:29 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
First off, how far, how many days, and how do you plan to overnight?

Also, you need to check the D&L website. I know of one washout that likely won’t be fixed by spring. The road detour isn’t long or hard, but at certain times/days it’s not the best to ride on. (I was just there again last fall.) I’ve read that there have been some repairs made to some washed out segments below Easton, but I haven’t experienced them personally. I had to deal with them in 2021 during a tour home to Philly from northern Vermont.

Overall, I find the GAP much more appealing. Haven’t ridden the C&O.

Last edited by indyfabz; 11-27-22 at 03:37 PM.
Old 11-27-22, 03:39 PM
Wittn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply! The GAP(along with C and O) is one of my favorite activities in general and I try to do it at least once per year….I’m planning to the whole trail, regardless of which I end up doing, I will be coming fron Baltimore … I’m open to Camping or lodging, I haven’t decided yet. I’m a pretty strong rider, when I’ve done the CandO/Gap in the past I’ve usually done between 60-80 miles per day.
Old 11-28-22, 07:24 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
I have ridden the D&L several times during tours, but only from Whit Haven down to New Hope, and some of that not recently.

As for camping, there is a private campground on PA 940 a couple of miles from the trail. PA 940 can be busy certain days/times, but it's not dangerous.

There also Mauch Chunk Lake County Park and a private campground outside of Jim Thorpe. Both require a pretty good climb to get to. The latter is expensive *$45, IIRC) if you are not a county resident. The former has some bad reviews. Sounds like the owners can be a real PITA. One option is to take the Switchback Trail up at least part of the hill. Never ridden it.

There is Dogwood Haven right along the trail at Lodi Hill Rd. in Upper Black Eddy. I have stayed there several times. The owner is really nice. Only $10 for cyclists. It's relatively small and consists of mostly seasonal campers who are older and not rowdy. Somewhat further south there is a municipal campground. Forget the name. I believe it is operated by Bucks County. IIRC, you need to call and make a reservation.

Those are the only legal camping options I know of. Indoor options in the Jim Thorpe and New Hope/Lambertville areas will cost you an arm and a leg.

All that is to say that camping/lodging options are not nearly as convenient as they are along the GAP. The D&L also has some really boring parts. Bowmanstown to N. Catasaqua was mostly a tunnel off trees when I rode it in September. Couldn't wait to get off it.

Definitely look at the map for closure/problem spots.

D&L Map - D&L - Delaware & Lehigh (delawareandlehigh.org)

One option is to cross into NJ at Milford and take the D&R Feeder Canal Path south. Much better condition. You can pick up the D&R a mile or so south of Milford or wait until you get to Frenchtown.