Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Oregon Coast Question

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Oregon Coast Question

Old 11-29-22, 06:25 PM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 140 Posts
Oregon Coast Question

Cycling the Oregon coast has been a dream of mine for a few years. I have been researching options on how to return from Brookings at the south end to Astoria,my starting point. Any input would be welcome.
Old 11-29-22, 08:32 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
I will share what we did many years ago. We road a little further into Arcata/Eureka California and rented a car for a flight back home. We drove to SF keeping the rental drop off in state. We dropped our bikes at a bike store and they packed and shipped them back home. A little additional expense but it allowed us to stay within my vacation timing while working.
Old 11-29-22, 09:15 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
There are buses from Brookings to Eugene where you could pick up Amtrak to Portland, but it's iffy whether you can stow a bike under the bus with baggage. It depends on available space.

How about this: take a hard left at Reedsport, ride up to the rim of Crater Lake, bomb down the other side then on to Klamath Falls. Not the coast, but by that time you've seen a lot of coast. The ride to the rim is like riding in a moonscape after the coast - epic in itself.

From Eugene, Amtrak to Portland then bus to Astoria, which does allow bikes for $5; or did pre-pandemic.

Hmm I wonder if you could ship your bike and use transit yourself. Might be worth a look, if the bus doesn't turn you off.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 11-30-22, 05:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,284 Times in 7,226 Posts
This may be dated, but worth a shot:

https://theoregoncoast.info/BikeRoute/Map.pdf

It contains resources you can contact for transportation options.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-30-22, 06:23 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Heading East to Klamath Falls to catch Amtrak is a good suggestion. I would add that instead of taking a bus from Portland to Astoria, you could either start your trip in Portland and ride to Astoria along the Columbia River, or hop off the train in Portland at the end of the trip and ride back to Astoria. The part of the Columbia River Gorge that I rode as part of the ACA route was one of the highlights of my trip!

Originally Posted by downtube42
There are buses from Brookings to Eugene where you could pick up Amtrak to Portland, but it's iffy whether you can stow a bike under the bus with baggage. It depends on available space.

How about this: take a hard left at Reedsport, ride up to the rim of Crater Lake, bomb down the other side then on to Klamath Falls. Not the coast, but by that time you've seen a lot of coast. The ride to the rim is like riding in a moonscape after the coast - epic in itself.

From Eugene, Amtrak to Portland then bus to Astoria, which does allow bikes for $5; or did pre-pandemic.

Hmm I wonder if you could ship your bike and use transit yourself. Might be worth a look, if the bus doesn't turn you off.
Old 11-30-22, 09:18 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by timdow
Heading East to Klamath Falls to catch Amtrak is a good suggestion. I would add that instead of taking a bus from Portland to Astoria, you could either start your trip in Portland and ride to Astoria along the Columbia River, or hop off the train in Portland at the end of the trip and ride back to Astoria. The part of the Columbia River Gorge that I rode as part of the ACA route was one of the highlights of my trip!
Starting is Portland and riding to Astoria is a good idea IMO. Adds 100+ miles to the front of the trip, but it is a nice ride. I've always taken the route along the Nehelam river, which is dead on weekends.
Old 11-30-22, 01:07 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by timdow
Heading East to Klamath Falls to catch Amtrak is a good suggestion.
Heh. Cycle Oregon spent the last night of the 2012 edition in Klamath Falls. Camped in Moore Park. Durig the shuttle ride into the center of town we saw a medical marijuana farm greenhouse in part of the old rail yard there.

"I never thought I would ride into a town that makes Buttle, MT look nice."--Me
Old 11-30-22, 01:43 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Heh. Cycle Oregon spent the last night of the 2012 edition in Klamath Falls. Camped in Moore Park. Durig the shuttle ride into the center of town we saw a medical marijuana farm greenhouse in part of the old rail yard there.

"I never thought I would ride into a town that makes Buttle, MT look nice."--Me
Mmm, cannabis. 😁 I've gone past a few places now, where they farm the stuff, and I usually hate to leave, it smells so good. 🤪😎✌️

Funny, the only time I rode through Klamath Falls, was when I rode North, from going through Nevada. It's kinda far East, otherwise.
Old 11-30-22, 01:52 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by stardognine
Mmm, cannabis. 😁 I've gone past a few places now, where they farm the stuff, and I usually hate to leave, it smells so good. 🤪😎✌️
Saw the greenhouse while crossing a bridge over the railyard. The GF and wondered what sort of greenhouse needs to be surrounded by high fencing that appeared to be topped with barbed wire. There was also at least one police-looking vehicle parked there. Then it dawned on me, so I asked someone on the bus if my suspicion was correct.
Old 11-30-22, 02:01 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Actually, I saw/smelled 2, in Needles, California, right by the Mojave Desert. And several dispensaries, where you can buy it.

It did seem to take me a long time, getting back OUT of town. 😁😉
Old 11-30-22, 02:05 PM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 140 Posts
Thanks for your input. I am from Vancouver Island and would be leaving my vehicle in Astoria or maybe starting in Port Angeles
Old 12-01-22, 07:06 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 744 Times in 554 Posts
Google directions will give you some bus options if you use the transit option in a search. It looks like you might want to ride to Cresent City since the bus would be on the same route. It would take a day or a day and a half to make the trip with all the connections and you might have to box your bike.

.You might also look into various Amtrak/bus combo options.

Also I have used a rental car sometimes. When doing so it helps to always prebook through an aggregator IME. They seem to always give me grief about not having cars that can be let go one way or hit me with huge drop off fees when i walk up to a desk to book. I have had much better luck booking online. They always just pointed me to my car when I did that. Also maybe my imagination, but I felt ilke I had fewer problems with rentals from airports so I tend to ride to an airport to get a car. Since covid, I don't know how it would work out. I know that rates have been terrible and cars have been less available and rates have gone way up. I have had family book and prepay and then not have a car when they got off their flights. On my wife's recent trip she waited long enough that she gave up and called a family member to pick her up.
Likes For staehpj1: