Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Had a great time on Sunday at the monthly Velo-Retro Ride in Pasadena, CA.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Had a great time on Sunday at the monthly Velo-Retro Ride in Pasadena, CA.

Old 01-08-18, 09:06 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I did the ride. About 20 riders. Good pace. My only complaint.. if you call it a complaint, at about the 15 mile mark everyone stops at Bean Town in Sierra Madre.... and after about 45 minutes everyone still looked firmly seated so I went on and finished the ride myself.
Who had the pale blue w/ white trim Raleigh International.....? OUTSTANDING!
Old 01-08-18, 12:36 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
I did the ride. About 20 riders. Good pace. My only complaint.. if you call it a complaint, at about the 15 mile mark everyone stops at Bean Town in Sierra Madre.... and after about 45 minutes everyone still looked firmly seated so I went on and finished the ride myself.
Many times these "rides" are really social events with cycling as a theme.
Old 01-08-18, 01:06 PM
cdmurphy

Bikes: Too many, but sometimes not enough.

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
I wasn't able to make yesterday's ride due to a lingering flu I'm trying to shake, but that 45 min. stop sounds pretty normal for this ride. If it's pretty hot, it might only be 30-35 min, but 45-50 min. seems to be more the norm. I wouldn't call it an "easy" ride, but it's a pretty social pace. Conversations are easy on the downhill first half, and most riders can talk a bit on the climb to Bean Town. You're always welcome to hammer up the climb, but then you're just waiting around longer for everyone to finish up. :-)

Last edited by cdmurphy; 01-08-18 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-08-18, 01:49 PM
trailangel

I guess I'm not very sociable.....or my Medici wasn't getting enough love
Old 01-08-18, 02:48 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I missed it too. Been fighting a cold since just after Christmas. I think I have 16 miles for the year. I feel better, get out for a short ride, then back down again. Getting frustrated. Missing a lot of good SoCal weather ... except rain today. Hopefully next time. Stay healthy!
Old 01-08-18, 02:53 PM
Piff 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 406 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I missed it too. Been fighting a cold since just after Christmas. I think I have 16 miles for the year. I feel better, get out for a short ride, then back down again. Getting frustrated. Missing a lot of good SoCal weather ... except rain today. Hopefully next time. Stay healthy!
Same, I've been dealing with two colds since early December, and have missed some of the best riding weather all year! Really annoying.
Old 01-08-18, 04:08 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
I missed this last ride. 2018 is going to be a pretty hectic year for my wife and I so I wasn't able to go.

Next month for sure.
Old 01-08-18, 06:20 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts

I guess I'm not very sociable.....or my Medici wasn't getting enough love
The ride runs at about 12-17 mph depending on whether you lay back or stay up front. I was riding my root beer metallic brown with chrome lugs Italvega Super Special as set up for Eroica California 2017. However, I hadn't ridden this ride for about 4 months and no riding during December due to schedule, so my legs were a bit weary, last to pull into Bean Town. The Bean Town stop is usually 30 minutes or so, but sometimes longer if the conversation is lively and active. I caught up with at least 3 people, and met 4 new folks (one running a 70's Teledyne Titan, and Salvatore riding a 90's Torelli who also owns a similar to mine brown Torpado Gran Premio), so for me its all good. If you want to get the group going after the stop, just ask around if we're ready to roll again, many times, that will get things moving. With more people and more bikes, sometimes it takes a while to ogle all of them!

Oh, was the bike below the one you were thinking of (I didn't remember seeing a Raleigh International this week). This bike belongs to Phil from Corona, he had just finished rebuilding and restoring it, and this was his first shakedown ride. I love the bike also because its EXACTLY like my brother's Raleigh Pro, right down to the color and size. Picture attached.

Originally Posted by cdmurphy
I wasn't able to make yesterday's ride due to a lingering flu I'm trying to shake, but that 45 min. stop sounds pretty normal for this ride. If it's pretty hot, it might only be 30-35 min, but 45-50 min. seems to be more the norm. I wouldn't call it an "easy" ride, but it's a pretty social pace. Conversations are easy on the downhill first half, and most riders can talk a bit on the climb to Bean Town. You're always welcome to hammer up the climb, but then you're just waiting around longer for everyone to finish up. :-)
Hey Cameron, sorry to have missed you this time, hope you get well soon.

Originally Posted by Piff
Same, I've been dealing with two colds since early December, and have missed some of the best riding weather all year! Really annoying.
Originally Posted by malcala622
I missed this last ride. 2018 is going to be a pretty hectic year for my wife and I so I wasn't able to go.

Next month for sure.
Hope everyone recovers from their illnesses. Even our fearless ride leader, Chuck Schmidt was unable to ride due to illness, although he was there at the start to greet everyone.

The flu and cold season has been bad this year. If you haven't already, get a flu shot, even if it isn't covering very well. The boost in your immune system from the flu vaccine can aid in fighting any infection you get, and can still help reduce influenza from getting from the respiratory tract to the rest of your body, including the kidneys. Also, if you think you have the flu, get in to see your doc or urgent care as soon as possible. Antiviral Flu meds as below can significantly reduce flu symptoms, severity, and longevity and save you time off from work and the general misery of the flu.

There are three FDA-approved influenza antiviral drugs recommended by CDC for use against recently circulating influenza viruses.
Relenza (zanamivir)
Tamiflu (oseltamivir phosphate)
Rapivab (peramivir)

Remember to stay away from crowds, any people or kids who are visibly ill, have coughs or runny noses, and minimize your physical contact with hands or objects that you pick up that others may have handled. Having and using Alcohol based hand sanitizer can be helful. And keep exercising or ride your bike on a trainer at home to keep fit, maintain your immune system, and working off the pounds from the holidays.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Corona Phil Raleigh Pro2.jpg (1.43 MB, 806 views)

Last edited by mech986; 01-08-18 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-08-18, 06:39 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Originally Posted by mech986
The ride runs at about 12-17 mph depending on whether you lay back or stay up front. I was riding my root beer metallic brown with chrome lugs Italvega Super Special as set up for Eroica California 2017. However, I hadn't ridden this ride for about 4 months and no riding during December due to schedule, so my legs were a bit weary, last to pull into Bean Town. The Bean Town stop is usually 30 minutes or so, but sometimes longer if the conversation is lively and active. I caught up with at least 3 people, and met 4 new folks (one running a 70's Teledyne Titan, and Salvatore riding a 90's Torelli who also owns a similar to mine brown Torpado Gran Premio), so for me its all good. If you want to get the group going after the stop, just ask around if we're ready to roll again, many times, that will get things moving. With more people and more bikes, sometimes it takes a while to ogle all of them!

Oh, was the bike below the one you were thinking of (I didn't remember seeing a Raleigh International this week). This bike belongs to Phil from Corona, he had just finished rebuilding and restoring it, and this was his first shakedown ride. I love the bike also because its EXACTLY like my brother's Raleigh Pro, right down to the color and size. Picture attached.

Hey Cameron, sorry to have missed you this time, hope you get well soon.

Hope everyone recovers from their illnesses. Even our fearless ride leader, Chuck Schmidt was unable to ride due to illness, although he was there at the start to greet everyone.

The flu and cold season has been bad this year. If you haven't already, get a flu shot, even if it isn't covering very well. The boost in your immune system from the flu vaccine can aid in fighting any infection you get, and can still help reduce influenza from getting from the respiratory tract to the rest of your body, including the kidneys. Also, if you think you have the flu, get in to see your doc or urgent care as soon as possible. Antiviral Flu meds as below can significantly reduce flu symptoms, severity, and longevity and save you time off from work and the general misery of the flu.

There are three FDA-approved influenza antiviral drugs recommended by CDC for use against recently circulating influenza viruses.
Relenza (zanamivir)
Tamiflu (oseltamivir phosphate)
Rapivab (peramivir)

Remember to stay away from crowds, any people or kids who are visibly ill, have coughs or runny noses, and minimize your physical contact with hands or objects that you pick up that others may have handled. Having and using Alcohol based hand sanitizer can be helful. And keep exercising or ride your bike on a trainer at home to keep fit, maintain your immune system, and working off the pounds from the holidays.
That's a beautiful Raleigh! I'm so sorry not to have seen it. I ride a Legnano Roma almost that color blue, and a Raleigh Super Course in dark green. As for flu, yeah, I had the flu shot, which usually works for me. I think this is just a nasty cold, I did have terrible leg aches at the start, but it's all head, chest and throat now, mostly head and nose. I don't usually get these colds. I went to the medicine cabinet for Robitussin, and it was dated 2014, so I got new.

Here's mine. The Legnano I've had 54 years, the Raleigh I built from scratch (bare frame) last year.
Attached Images
2018-01-08 16.47.15.jpg (461.5 KB, 767 views)
11-5-4 raleigh.jpg (269.6 KB, 776 views)

Last edited by Slightspeed; 01-08-18 at 06:52 PM.
Old 01-08-18, 07:04 PM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
One recurring theme I am trying to push, especially for C&V riders, is to support and attend the Eroica California 2018 ride this year. Its a really fun time with so many like-minded bicycling people, but you don't have to be a huge C&V fan to have fun. People bring all kinds of older bikes out to ride, and the fun is in the people, the machines, and the great ambiance of Paso Robles, home to >250 wineries, the California Central Coast, and the challenge of the 4 different routes.

Putting on this huge event, all the logistics, and supporting the local Central Coast Hospice programs means getting as many riders and attendees as possible and continuing to grow and sustain the event. Last year there were about 850 riders, and I'm hoping it grows to over 950-1000 vintage riders (at least 10-15% growth). This can only happen if we spread the word and ask / encourage others to come and participate. Whether we agree with everything in the rules and regulations, have a bike that reasonably conforms, or the cost and logistics allow, I think we can agree that the only way to keep C&V alive is to expose more people to it, and the general idea of having fun on bikes.

Housing can be had via hotel / motel, AirBnB, VRBO, etc. and bikes can be shipped in and out via Bikeflights.com. I know Gugie is organizing a big PNW contingent to come down. Airflights can be arranged into San Francisco / San Jose (3 hr / 2.5 hour drive to Paso), Monterey (2 hour drive), Santa Barabara (2 hour drive), or San Luis Obispo regional airport (via connections fromm Alaska, American, United airlines).

I know people from Portland / Seattle and Phoenix / Tucson / Albequerque are coming, and I hope more will from all over the country if possible. I encourage all on this thread, the vintage ride, and any of your like minded friends to spread the word. Registration is currently $150 till March 15, then $175 till March 21, and $200 from April 1-7.

Also new this year is Nova Eroica, an event the same day for modern bikes that will be held on 89 mile Coastal Route but in different, more competitive timed format. Eroica California is aiming for 200 riders under a different format so let all your modern bike friends know too.

EROICA CALIFORNIA | PASO ROBLES CA | 14-15 APRIL 2018

REGISTRATION. EROICA CALIFORNIA | PASO ROBLES CA | 14-15 APRIL 2018

Nova Eroica
Old 01-08-18, 08:08 PM
Slightspeed

I agree, Eroica is a great experience. I did 2016 on the Legnano with 42-28 best gear, walked 3 hills. I built the Raleigh with friendlier hill gears for these 68 year old legs. Gonna try it again in 2018. Bring all the big gears you can fit on these old bikes. Pretty sure you'll need it
Old 01-08-18, 08:13 PM
trailangel

Ya, that's the Raleigh... I thought International, but it's a Pro. Frickin' stunning!
Even put a piece of paper down to not scratch the pedal.
Old 01-08-18, 08:41 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
I meant to do the Mt Lukens ride from the Rose Bowl to see if was doable prior to the VR ride but my dog went in for surgery and ...

I did do Mt Wilson from the RB and it took me just shy of 4 hours riding time. So doable by starting 6:30 or so. A 45 minute stop for a bite and small talk would be welcome after that climb.

Here is a route I created that I hope to explore before next months ride and may some other Eroica bound folk would like to join me. https://www.strava.com/routes/11547488
Old 01-08-18, 11:07 PM
JoeBass

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 89 Posts
I hate to say it, but I had a better time on the Pasadena ride than I had on either of the two Eroica, California’s that I attended.
Old 01-09-18, 11:38 AM
Slightspeed

Originally Posted by JoeBass
I hate to say it, but I had a better time on the Pasadena ride than I had on either of the two Eroica, California’s that I attended.
Definitely better roads, less (bike) traffic and no toe clips required! But heroic? Not so much, fun ride though for lots less $$$. If you're anywhere close, come on out!
Old 01-31-18, 04:08 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Is anyone in for a few miles of climbing before the 11am roll out.

Location: Rose Bowl swim center parking area (where the Velo Retro ride begins)
Start Time: 7am

Route: https://www.strava.com/routes/11547488

Mt. Lukens (dirt) begins 8.5 miles from the Rose Bowl.
STRAVA shows parts of Mt. Lukens to be 10 or 12% and I will likely walk a bit.

No matter how far up Mt. Lukens Road we get, the plan is to turn around at 9am which will get us back well before 11am and the veto-retro ride (descending from a two hour climb should take much less than two hours)

I'll be at the parking lot with a white Subaru Forester and white Medici around 6:45am.

Who's In?

Jeff
Old 01-31-18, 09:32 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Now that 7 am ride is tempting, will be out of town this weekend, but an early ride works much better. Always too many family activities mid morning, day.
Old 02-05-18, 10:54 PM
Slightspeed

Good times on Sunday's Pasadena Ride

We had a good turnout, great weather. mid 80s on the Pasadena Vintage ride Sunday. Here's a few pictures.
Attached Images
untitled1.jpg (717.7 KB, 705 views)
3.jpg (654.9 KB, 701 views)
2.jpg (401.0 KB, 697 views)
8.jpg (250.6 KB, 698 views)
4.jpg (418.7 KB, 697 views)
5.jpg (302.2 KB, 702 views)
6.jpg (442.5 KB, 698 views)
9.jpg (252.9 KB, 698 views)
me.jpg (705.3 KB, 713 views)
7.jpg (259.5 KB, 704 views)
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 02-06-18, 04:05 PM
JoeBass

Great photos! Beautiful bikes! Wish I lived closer so I could ride with you folks more often!
Old 03-05-18, 01:05 AM
Slightspeed

After 2 days of "winter" the sun came back out, and we had a good turnout for Sunday's Pasadena Vintage Ride. Lots of cool bikes, and discussion of upcoming Eroica CA. Pictures below. 11 am, 1st Sunday of the month, at the Rose Bowl Aquatics Center, Arroyo Blvd at the extreme south parking lot, if you're in the area.
Attached Images
1.jpg (348.9 KB, 664 views)
2.jpg (222.0 KB, 668 views)
3.jpg (232.6 KB, 667 views)
4.jpg (376.1 KB, 669 views)
5.jpg (326.4 KB, 671 views)
6.jpg (290.5 KB, 666 views)
7.jpg (224.6 KB, 668 views)
8.jpg (283.1 KB, 661 views)
9.jpg (254.5 KB, 662 views)
10.jpg (318.1 KB, 664 views)
11.jpg (260.5 KB, 664 views)
12.jpg (287.0 KB, 666 views)
13.jpg (347.0 KB, 665 views)
14.jpg (306.9 KB, 673 views)
15.jpg (265.2 KB, 664 views)
16.jpg (302.0 KB, 669 views)

Last edited by Slightspeed; 03-05-18 at 01:21 AM.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 03-05-18, 09:58 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1824 Post(s)
Liked 3,366 Times in 1,572 Posts
After 2 days of "winter" the sun came back out, and we had a good turnout for Sunday's Pasadena Vintage Ride. Lots of cool bikes, and discussion of upcoming Eroica CA. Pictures below. 11 am, 1st Sunday of the month, at the Rose Bowl Aquatics Center, Arroyo Blvd at the extreme south parking lot, if you're in the area.

thanks for sharing! Yep, lots of neat bikes!
Any idea of the story behind that Carnevale? Love the paint scheme! Almost a "Miami Vice" color selection.

Steve in Peoria
Old 03-05-18, 10:22 AM
Slightspeed

It belongs to a guy named Scott, I don't know if he's on BF or not. If so, maybe he could fill us in on details. There are more detail shots in last month's ride post, just above. Pretty bike.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 03-05-18 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-05-18, 01:09 PM
cdmurphy

Bikes: Too many, but sometimes not enough.

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
That figures. I skip a month, and someone else finally shows up with a Centurion Semi-Pro :-)

Oh well, I still got mine out for some fresh air this weekend:
Winter blues by c79murphy, on Flickr
Old 03-05-18, 07:21 PM
Sestese

Bikes: 1984 Olmo Professionisti, 1986 Benotto 1500, 1984 Bianchi Limited, 1971 Bottecchia Professional, 1987 Guerciotti Sprint Alan, Torpado Gran Premio, 1986 Pinarello Treviso, 1968 Chiorda, 1987 Bertoni Corsa Mondiale, 1991 Torelli Express, 1974 Gios.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Thank you for posting beautiful pictures.
Sal
Old 03-05-18, 10:16 PM
JoeBass

Thanks much for the photos! What percentage of the riders said they were attending Eroica,CA?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.