Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Fnhon bike stolen today

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Fnhon bike stolen today

Old 08-30-22, 03:34 PM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
Fnhon bike stolen today

Well it was bound to happen. Locked it at the metro station at 7am. Came back at 4 pm and it was gone. About 20 000 bikes are stolen every year in Montreal. I was able to ride this new build from April to August. I still haven’t paid my credit card for the microshift derailleur shifter and cassette installed last week . No more nice bikes for me.

Old 08-30-22, 04:20 PM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 333 Posts
Sorry to hear it.😥
Old 08-30-22, 05:50 PM
willydstyle

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts
My condolences.
Old 08-31-22, 01:54 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x9,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 162 Posts
Desolé! C'est vraiment dommage.
Old 08-31-22, 02:07 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 198 Posts
I am very sorry for you.

The drawback of folding bike that are easy to carry is that they are as easy to be stolen !

For the Brompton in Europe its a nightmare because there is a high demand for used Brompton and the used price are high, so its probably the best deal for thief.

But other folding bikes, even if less attractive because of lower value or less known, are also stolen.

The rule with a folding bike is to never leave it outside, always take it with you.
Likes For Jipe:
Old 08-31-22, 03:17 AM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss. I hope that it doesn't put you off keepng a nice bike for too long, or even better still, miracle of miracles, your stolen Fnhon finds its way back to you.

​Our of curiosity, which metro station did it go missing from outside of? I realise it could happen anywhere, but it's good to know where the larceny occured so that I can pause and consider my options should I ever end up in that very place and be tempted to lock up my bike for a period of time. Also, did they cut through or pry apart a lock and if so, what kind was it? I use these abus folding locks these days.

https://www.abus.com/uk/Mobile-Secur...Lite-6055-Mini

In general I only lock up for short periods when I need to nip into a shop, etc. In Victoria B.C. the city has introduced a valet bike parking service downtown. Maybe something similar needs to be provided at the busier Montreal Metro stations?

Anyway, good luck. Hope you get your bike back, or at least some payback in golden karma.

Origami is rolling out a new Swift sometime in the nearaway future. If you change your mind about having another nice bike and you fancy another folder that rides well and is rather fast it might be worth considering.
Old 08-31-22, 07:58 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 215 Posts
This is disheartening. Just as one member's bike is luckily recovered another's is stolen. A fine example of why I like dogs more than people.
Old 08-31-22, 03:07 PM
Jipe

Originally Posted by joey buzzard
Sorry to hear of your loss. I hope that it doesn't put you off keepng a nice bike for too long, or even better still, miracle of miracles, your stolen Fnhon finds its way back to you.

​Our of curiosity, which metro station did it go missing from outside of? I realise it could happen anywhere, but it's good to know where the larceny occured so that I can pause and consider my options should I ever end up in that very place and be tempted to lock up my bike for a period of time. Also, did they cut through or pry apart a lock and if so, what kind was it? I use these abus folding locks these days.

In general I only lock up for short periods when I need to nip into a shop, etc. In Victoria B.C. the city has introduced a valet bike parking service downtown. Maybe something similar needs to be provided at the busier Montreal Metro stations?

Anyway, good luck. Hope you get your bike back, or at least some payback in golden karma.

Origami is rolling out a new Swift sometime in the nearaway future. If you change your mind about having another nice bike and you fancy another folder that rides well and is rather fast it might be worth considering.
The Abus Bordo (including the Granit, the highest security one) is so easy to break that it is rated number one by bike thieves who love it!
Old 08-31-22, 08:33 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Sorry about the lost.
I know that sinking feeling upon retuning to the parked spot to find the bike missing....
Old 09-01-22, 03:33 PM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

it was stolen outside the Sauvé métro station in Montréal. They broke the lock of the cable.
Old 09-01-22, 03:40 PM
jfouellette

Not wanting to have a long period of grief, I found a replacement bike. It’s not a folding bike. It’s a made in Canada 1980’s Raleigh. 3x6 speeds Shimano derailleurs. I guess it s a vintage bike. Paid $80 cdn with mudguard and rear rack. I replaced the front brakes and it will need new tires and longer stem for a more comfortable ride. Note the friction shifters.Overall the bike is in good esthetic and mechanical condition.

Last edited by jfouellette; 09-01-22 at 03:53 PM.
Likes For jfouellette:
Old 09-01-22, 05:05 PM
HelpSingularity 

Bikes: 1974 Masi GC, 1982 Trek 728 (aka 720), 1992 Trek Multitrack 750

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 132 Posts
Sorry for your loss. That is just about the sh*ttyist feeling when you realize your little pride and joy is no longer there. And that was a particularly pretty bike that you had too. Again, sorry for your loss.
Recently I came out of a doctor's appointment and noticed my rather substantial cable had been cut half way through. I freaked out. When I arrived home I ordered an ABUS 10mm 5 foot chain and one of those ABUS disk type padlocks. 200+ USD. Way, way overkill for what I normally do, but oh well, what's done is done. I rarely lock my bike up for more than it takes to dash in and out of a market.
I like your new ride. I've always had a soft spot for mixtes. So it seems crazy to pay twice or more for bike security than you paid for the bike but that is the world we live in. I guess that is the tax you pay for living in such a beautiful city. Good luck with your new whip!
Old 09-01-22, 06:55 PM
wesgreen

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
Way too nice for NYC, but good luck!
Old 09-02-22, 12:22 AM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Originally Posted by Jipe
The Abus Bordo (including the Granit, the highest security one) is so easy to break that it is rated number one by bike thieves who love it!
That may be so, but it's better than any cable lock, weighs somewhat less than a typical boat anchor and it discourages casual thieves. I avoid leaving my bike in one place unattended for any length of time and I'm extra cautious after dark, but there's always a risk and it's actually very tricky to stop a determined professional thief with an angle grinder, etc.

STM allows bicycles on Montreal Metro trains except at peak times. They should up their game and either expand their facilities for bikes on trains during these hours or else provide supervised parking, imo.

https://www.stm.info/en/info/advice/...first%20served.

Last edited by joey buzzard; 09-02-22 at 12:33 AM.
Likes For joey buzzard:
Old 09-08-22, 08:03 PM
GTA

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 37 Posts
why didn't you bring it into the subway?
Old 09-09-22, 03:23 AM
Jipe

That may be so, but it's better than any cable lock, weighs somewhat less than a typical boat anchor and it discourages casual thieves. I avoid leaving my bike in one place unattended for any length of time and I'm extra cautious after dark, but there's always a risk and it's actually very tricky to stop a determined professional thief with an angle grinder, etc.

STM allows bicycles on Montreal Metro trains except at peak times. They should up their game and either expand their facilities for bikes on trains during these hours or else provide supervised parking, imo.

https://www.stm.info/en/info/advice/...first%20served.
Even a lightweight D-lock is better than a folding one like the Bordo!

But its true that no lock resist to a portable angle grinder unless maybe the new Hiplok D1000 ?
Old 09-09-22, 07:58 AM
joey buzzard

Originally Posted by Jipe
Even a lightweight D-lock is better than a folding one like the Bordo!

But its true that no lock resist to a portable angle grinder unless maybe the new Hiplok D1000 ?

I like the bordo lite folding locks. They dissuade most thieves and are more comfortable (more compact/lighter) to tote around with me than a clumsy u-lock.

Mostly I need something to lock my bike for relatively short periods of time while I'm in a shop, etc. I'm careful about where I leave my bike and for how long. I try not to leave it locked in one place for hours. I'd hesitate to leave it all day unattended outside a metro station.

Montreal has invested heavily in making the city bike and pedestrian friendly in recent years. Their Bixi bike scheme is the best and most popularly utilized urban bike share systems I've ever seen anywhere. The city pedestrianised the formerly nightmarishly car clogged Rue Ste Catherine for several kilometers through downtown, which is actually an incredible feat for a North American city. My last visit to Montreal was very pleasant as I had my Swift with me.. I found myself blasting through the park and up over the mountain from the Plateaux to NDG then onto Monkland Village where I was staying with an old friend. I did this back and forth at least a couple times every day. I occasionally rode the metro with the bike, but mostly I pedaled around the island and a little bit further beyond South of the River.

Athough I'd be sympathetic I'm not sure if I'd be as interested if this theft had occurred in Chicago or Tampa or Albuquerque. I simply love what Montreal has done and it tears at my heart when I hear someone say that they're giving up on having a nice small wheeler because of theft there. With all the investment that's already gone into transforming Montreal into a cycling city perhaps secure places to lock up around commuting points should become a priority? And/or let folding bikes on the metro during rush hour periods. Obviously there's room for improving things even further.
Old 09-09-22, 08:38 AM
Schwinnsta
Schwinnasaur

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 116 Posts
I use this, lock and chain, when I have to leave the bike unattended. I doubt that it can be cut with a 4-foot bolt cutter (chain is hardened as much or more than cutting blades). Sure it can be cut with a grinder but without a way to hold it, it would be risky trying to. In a vise, yes, but in the field you need to secure it, or you risk injury when the cutting disk jams and flies apart. It weighs the same or less than a U-lock, and it is easier to secure to wider items like poles.
Old 09-09-22, 10:25 AM
Jipe

Bordo was sold by many Brompton dealer because it can easily be carried on frame of the Brompton between the seat tube and rear triangle. Due to this, there were a lot of Brompton stolen, even some left just a couple of minutes unattended because its very easy to crack the Bordo.

A Kryptonite Lite D-lock weight almost the same as the Bordo lite and is much more difficult to crack.
Old 09-10-22, 05:31 AM
jfouellette

Originally Posted by GTA
why didn't you bring it into the subway?
there are restrictions concerning bringing bikes during rush hour. Although the bike is a folder it s really not easy to carry long distances in the metro. You can t roll it. Very few folding bikes are designed to be carried. They are designed just to take up less space.
Likes For jfouellette:
Old 09-10-22, 05:41 AM
jfouellette

Well, can’t live without a somewhat folding bike. Here is my acquisition to replace my stolen bike.More details later.

Likes For jfouellette:
Old 09-10-22, 05:44 AM
jfouellette

This is the finished bike for daily commuting and parking at the metro.I also added a milk crate on the rear rack. Ugly…
Likes For jfouellette:
Old 09-10-22, 08:01 AM
joey buzzard

Originally Posted by jfouellette
Well, can’t live without a somewhat folding bike. Here is my acquisition to replace my stolen bike.More details later.

Well, Corgrats! That little red rocket makes my heart sing out for thee. Glad the bastard who stole your Fnhon didn't dissuade you from having a nice small wheeled machine. Since you're not using it to commute to the metro are you keeping the rear rack? Looks like it could be funner without it. It's a bit too Ferrari red like a speedy sports bike for such cumbersome accoutrements, no?

Your ugly fugly daily commuter ride looks lovely too, btw.

Last edited by joey buzzard; 09-10-22 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-10-22, 12:18 PM
jfouellette

Well, Corgrats! That little red rocket makes my heart sing out for thee. Glad the bastard who stole your Fnhon didn't dissuade you from having a nice small wheeled machine. Since you're not using it to commute to the metro are you keeping the rear rack? Looks like it could be funner without it. It's a bit too Ferrari red like a speedy sports bike for such cumbersome accoutrements, no?

Your ugly fugly daily commuter ride looks lovely too, btw.
I need to keep the rack for when I’m running errands. The mudguards are there so I can ride even when it s raining.
Likes For jfouellette:
Old 09-10-22, 09:01 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
My folding bicycle is never left outside of my control. That's exactly the scenario which inspired me to get a folding bicycle in the first place. Being able to roll-while-folded was a top priority for me. I'm loving the 20" wheels, too, though. Most side-folders should be able to roll-while-folded. I'm surprised that you didn't work that out with your Fnhon. Sorry for the loss.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.