Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Wippermann ConneX on my singlespeed wore out after 300-500miles

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 09-14-22, 09:10 AM
cuyd

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hey, I am using singlespeed steel road frame with straight bars and road tires. Gear ratio is 52x18, my area is almost totally flat(except for bridges/overpasses) and I'm riding in clipless pedals. There are some winds here, most of time 5-15mph, occasionally going up to 30-35mph. I can easily hit 80-100rpm when it's windless. Bike is around 20lbs and I'm like 180-190.

Some time ago I bought real Wipperman ConneX chain from their old manufacture that was made in Germany and not in China. I do believe it was their 108 model but I'm not 100% sure. Anyway people who review those chains claim those are some of the strongest on market with 6000+ miles expectancy. Well, in my case after less than 500 miles and relatively light usage it's 1%+ stretched already and my rear sprocket that was also new is getting grinded. Front chainring is still fine, but that's only because its of superior quality.

Previously I rode on some cheap KMC/Shimano chains and they had similar lifespan. Is it possible that chain got stretched because I like to grind heavily when riding into wind? Or perhaps when I start and stop all the time because here mandatory bike paths are purposefully made to slow you down?

Also, do you have any recommendations on proper singlespeed chains? I was wondering on wide BMX-like steel chains as I didn't try those yet.

Last edited by cuyd; 09-14-22 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-14-22, 09:27 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
Check your chain measuring tool.

Your gearing seems fine for flat land, if maybe a bit tall. Nothing unreasonable there.

What is your chain tension? You have enough slack 1/4 inch of up/down movement, correct? You can't feel the rollers getting squished between the pins & gear teeth, can you?

Wear & tear is caused by friction. What lube do you use & when did you use it? I ask because 500 miles on a dry chain that is too tight is certainly more than enough to kill even the best chains.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 09-14-22, 09:54 AM
cuyd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It was measured in bicycle shop and the owner couldn't believe (he was one of those people claiming such chains would survive everything). I took basic ruler and it doesn't look good, there's definitely some stretch. As for tension, it's bit over 1 inch in most loose spot and bit over 1/2 inch in tightest one. It wasn't definitely dry when it was installed as those chains come pre-lubricated.

Also, I did not ride in bad weather/offroad - mostly tarmac and concrete pavement.
Old 09-14-22, 11:38 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
We'll, you've got me puzzled. It's not uncommon for chain checkers to have been "dropped" or otherwise be inaccurate whether intentional or not.

I'd still get an independent verification. Owning your own tool would certainly be a worthy investment.

IME: Most new chains measure between 0 & 0.5 when new. Anything under 0.75 has life left. Anything 1.0 or greater warrants replacement. The No-man's land between 0.75 & 1.0 is a good place to avoid & the usual recommendation is to replace the chain as soon as practicable. I suppose you already knew that.

1.0% in 3-500miles is unusual unless it's been neglected in particularly filthy environment such as wet mountain biking or rainy gravel rides.

Could too loose be causing a hurkey-jerky surge effect that's shock loading the chain at every pedal stroke? Is that a thing?

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 09-14-22, 01:14 PM
cuyd

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Initially I though same but after close inspection rear sprocket does have small wear signs. I was also wondering about chain being too tense or too lose(as I have no idea what would be perfect). I've heard that it should be as tense as possible with little bit slack. In past I used to ride with super tight chain but been told not to do so.

I am suspecting that indeed, it could be some sort of hurkey-jerky motion, perhaps combined with the fact that I have to start and stop pretty often(due to how mandatory bicycle infrastructure has been built here, I'm trying to avoid it as much as possible but in certain areas it's impossible). My gear ratio ain't small, yet I got enough power in legs to accelerate fast, perhaps I'm stressing my drivetrain too much? The only other thing are those windy days when I have to ride at lower cadence into strong gusts and I'm really trying to push hard.

edit: I have re-lubed chain and re-tensioned it. I'd say now it's maybe bit too tense, 1/4 inch in tightest spot and 1/2 inch in most loose spot.

Last edited by cuyd; 09-14-22 at 02:29 PM.