Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin no longer auto pairing with sensors

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-22, 01:17 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,596 Times in 2,904 Posts

1. Out of the blue my 830 Edge is not recognizing various accessories like HRM, cadence sensor and Varia. Never had this issue in the past. I can manually go into the Sensors section and manually pair them and they work fine but want previous functionality. The Edge unit is fully charged when this occurs as well as partially discharged. Can’t find anything similar on Garmin help pages. Got all accessories and the Edge once so s/b no compatibility issues since they all played nicely for two years.

2. Another question. The Edge says time for a software update but it can never get it to finish the update even when connected to WiFi. Any solutions there?

Old 10-18-22, 01:58 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2598 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Re: 2, is this a map update? Either play soliltaire on the laptop for 5 hours to keep the computer from sleeping, or leave it downloading plugged in. When you come back the next day, disconnect and reconnect the GPS from/to the laptop, then pull up the Garmin software and tell it to update the GPS.
Old 10-18-22, 02:19 PM
raqball

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 221 Times in 121 Posts
Try using Garmin Express for PC or Mac and do all the updates through it.. It's easy and MUCH faster than the OTA updates,.
Likes For raqball:
Old 10-18-22, 02:44 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Sometimes after updates I've had some sensors not be found on startup. Never had it where none of the sensors or other thing were found. The issue usually resolves itself after the next ride or sometimes I do a reset. I've got a Edge 530.

Seems like about a month ago I did have a update fail several times. It eventually fixed itself. It never prevented me from using my Edge for the two or three rides I did while it was reporting update failures.
Old 10-18-22, 03:22 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
make sure you turn it off and not put it to sleep. that will cause sensor issues. sometimes it takes awhile to show up.
Old 10-18-22, 03:24 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
make sure you turn it off and not put it to sleep. that will cause sensor issues. sometimes it takes awhile to show up.
I just hit the Power Off button. Is that putting it to sleep?

Old 10-18-22, 03:28 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Iride01
Sometimes after updates I've had some sensors not be found on startup. Never had it where none of the sensors or other thing were found. The issue usually resolves itself after the next ride or sometimes I do a reset. I've got a Edge 530.

Seems like about a month ago I did have a update fail several times. It eventually fixed itself. It never prevented me from using my Edge for the two or three rides I did while it was reporting update failures.
On the last ride was when pairing was the worst, however at the end of the ride, it was the first time in 3 weeks it didn[t give me the option to Update Software or Wait Until Later. I tried updating several times when it would say Unsuccessful then I resorted to saying Wait. After a few Waits, then it stopped asking. Must have grown tired of waiting

Old 10-18-22, 05:43 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by raqball
Try using Garmin Express for PC or Mac and do all the updates through it.. It's easy and MUCH faster than the OTA updates,.
Downloaded Express to the PC and while that was happening my Garmin Edge told me at least 4 times “Download Complete”. Don’t know if it was because I removed the Bluetooth connection to my phone and then re-established and then went through phone pairing process again or what. PC says maps/express download should take 3 hours.

Had to plug both my phone with the Connect app on and my Edge to the PC before I could proceed with the Express download. Amazing how sketchy the instructions are for this stuff. Luckily I have an IT background and pitty people who don’t with software issues.

thanks all for your responses and hopefully the next time I ride all will pair and life will be good - enough.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 10-18-22, 05:47 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I just hit the Power Off button. Is that putting it to sleep?
yep. sometimes you can get away with it but it seems to accumulate. with lights it really becomes an issue. or if you change bikes.
Old 10-18-22, 07:08 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Downloaded Express to the PC and while that was happening my Garmin Edge told me at least 4 times “Download Complete”. Don’t know if it was because I removed the Bluetooth connection to my phone and then re-established and then went through phone pairing process again or what. PC says maps/express download should take 3 hours.

Had to plug both my phone with the Connect app on and my Edge to the PC before I could proceed with the Express download. Amazing how sketchy the instructions are for this stuff. Luckily I have an IT background and pitty people who don’t with software issues.

thanks all for your responses and hopefully the next time I ride all will pair and life will be good - enough.
​​​​​​Should not be the case at all. Why was that necessary? It could be due to something else which may still be giving you trouble.
Old 10-18-22, 07:34 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Could be.

I gave up on Express after I read it will not work if one uses an over the air router. I get my internet over the air (from a cell tower) and not through a cable or fiber and thus the speeds are too slow.

Old 10-18-22, 07:45 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Quoted: 879 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
I don't know what difference it would make if you get your internet off a tower or fiber optic as far as Garmin Express is concerned. But from the earlier post, it seems you are possibly just letting it sleep. When I press the power button on mine, I am prompted to let it sleep or to power it off. I would try to power it off and turn it back on to see if that helps your issue. And after every update on any of my Garmin devices, I always power cycle it before going for a run or a ride because it seems if I don't, I get some kind of wonky issue.

Old 10-18-22, 08:12 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Could be.

I gave up on Express after I read it will not work if one uses an over the air router. I get my internet over the air (from a cell tower) and not through a cable or fiber and thus the speeds are too slow.
My home internet is my cell phone in mobile hotspot mode. Garmin Express works fine this way, I use it to sync (occasionally), update the device software, and even the maps.

Your 830 and Express only know whether they can reach the Garmin servers, not what kind of connection it is.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 10-19-22, 07:33 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
I have a similar problem with sensors connecting automatically to a Garmin device.

I have a 1030 Plus that has a number of sensors attached to it - cadence, heart rate, Varia radar, front light and Ultegra Di2. Up until a few months ago, all these sensors would automatically connect to the 1030 Plus.

Now, all of them except the Di2 connect automatically. I have to put the Di2 in connect mode, and once the 1030 Plus finds it, the Di2 and 1030 connect. Can’t figure out why Di2 no longer auto-connects nor where to look to determine what the problem is.

Last edited by oldwinger14; 10-19-22 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Addt’l text