Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help (advice) needed with French freewheel

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 11-12-22, 05:34 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 206 Posts

I am trying to get an 8 speed Sachs Maillard freewheel off. I am thinking the smallest cog(s) act as a lock ring? I remember in the bike shop, we always had 2 chain whips, but I have gotten by with one for the last 30 some years. Also the cogs have an interesting tooth profile. (This is mated to 1990 era Huret-Sachs Rival 8 speed indexed shifters and derailleurs). See pics.

Cool vee shaped tooth profile , on the outer edge

Not what I am used to freewheel wise!
Old 11-12-22, 05:53 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 781 Posts
If it's a freewheel you need a tool that fits over the axle and engages what appear to be splines within.

There's this new fad called cassettes and they are different, I don't know, maybe they come off with whips.
Old 11-12-22, 06:20 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
I’m a fan of the 6 and 7 speed freewheels and its fun to pair them with a Sachs/SRAM chain. Maybe that tooth top treatment helps them run quieter? That could be a UG cassette.
Old 11-12-22, 06:25 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,916 Times in 1,488 Posts
All I know about them is they usually don’t put up much of a fight when you want to remove them.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-12-22, 06:31 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
It's definitely a freewheel- you can see the removal splines behind the outer locknut. If that's a later-model freewheel, it takes the same tool as Shimano freewheels.

If you can't get enough engagement on the freewheel splines, remove the outer locknut and spacer.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 11-12-22, 06:36 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
I see notches in there. Here's the Velobase page that might help.

https://velobase.com/ListComponents....3-3cad77fcf335
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-12-22, 06:52 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Originally Posted by seypat
I see notches in there. Here's the Velobase page that might help.

https://velobase.com/ListComponents....3-3cad77fcf335
You are right. This is the one that it is...Sachs-Maillard Aris
you can see the funky teeth very clearly there.
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 11-12-22, 07:36 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 532 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
All I know about them is they usually don’t put up much of a fight when you want to remove them.
Yes, the Maillard/Sachs FWs definely usually comes off the hubs quite easily.
The worst ones to take out are the Reginas. I had a few that were so tight on the hubs that I felt like I busted my ribs when I took them off. A couple of my chain whips actually broke on me when removing Regina FWs.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 11-13-22, 03:55 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 781 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
The worst ones to take out are the Reginas. I had a few that were so tight on the hubs that I felt like I busted my ribs when I took them off. A couple of my chain whips actually broke on me when removing Regina FWs.
What technique did you use to get freewheels off with chain whips?
Likes For oneclick:
Old 11-13-22, 04:16 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 485 Posts
Originally Posted by mgopack42
You are right. This is the one that it is...Sachs-Maillard Aris
you can see the funky teeth very clearly there.
A.R.I.S. takes standard Maillard tool, Park FR-4. The Shimano free-wheel tool, as noted above, is the FR-1.
Old 11-13-22, 07:39 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,393 Times in 1,927 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
A.R.I.S. takes standard Maillard tool, Park FR-4. The Shimano free-wheel tool, as noted above, is the FR-1.
Yes, but seating the FR-4 will likely require removing the locknut from the axle. A Phil or Zeus tool is thin enough to fit over the locknut.

Old 11-13-22, 08:13 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 485 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Yes, but seating the FR-4 will likely require removing the locknut from the axle.
You are right about the A.R.I.S. needing the FR-1. It had been so long since I have removed my 6-speed A.R.I.S, that I thought it required the standard Maillard tool, FR-4.

Last edited by 1989Pre; 11-15-22 at 03:45 AM.
Old 11-13-22, 08:59 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2924 Post(s)
Liked 2,916 Times in 1,488 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
I was actually trying to make a joke. Years ago there was a military surplus dealer who used to advertise WWII French rifles as “like new condition only dropped once”. LOL.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 11-13-22, 09:18 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1451 Post(s)
Liked 2,183 Times in 960 Posts
I've used (and serviced many) Sachs Aris freewheels, and a modern Shimano tool has always worked for me.

While the Sachs Aris is one of my favorite freewheels to run on a wheel spaced for 126mm rear dropouts, the eight-speed models are intended for 130mm spacing, which does run the risk the hub axle bending since the the bearing cone on the drive side is far inside from the locknut.

The other concern with this model has to do with the type of grease and the method used by Sachs to apply the grease. The bearings are held in red plastic cages which double as seals to keep contaminates from penetrating the interior.

Since no grease is needed to keep the bearings in place during assembly, an injector hole was added to the outer body. Sachs then flooded the interior with grease through this hole. Thus, the bearings and the pawls were embedded in grease. Fast forward three decades and in most cases the original Sachs grease has spoiled into a sticky peanut butter mess.

The Drip and Dribble method of freewheel service will never work on an Aris. It needs to be disassembled, cleaned and new grease added to the races only. I use a few drops of quality machine oil on the pawl pivots.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 11-14-22, 05:19 AM
mgopack42 

Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
I've used (and serviced many) Sachs Aris freewheels, and a modern Shimano tool has always worked for me.

While the Sachs Aris is one of my favorite freewheels to run on a wheel spaced for 126mm rear dropouts, the eight-speed models are intended for 130mm spacing, which does run the risk the hub axle bending since the the bearing cone on the drive side is far inside from the locknut.

The other concern with this model has to do with the type of grease and the method used by Sachs to apply the grease. The bearings are held in red plastic cages which double as seals to keep contaminates from penetrating the interior.

Since no grease is needed to keep the bearings in place during assembly, an injector hole was added to the outer body. Sachs then flooded the interior with grease through this hole. Thus, the bearings and the pawls were embedded in grease. Fast forward three decades and in most cases the original Sachs grease has spoiled into a sticky peanut butter mess.

The Drip and Dribble method of freewheel service will never work on an Aris. It needs to be disassembled, cleaned and new grease added to the races only. I use a few drops of quality machine oil on the pawl pivots.
pastorbobnlnh YOU were right. I used my Park FR 1.3 long reach tool to get it off. Fortunately it spins nice with good pawl engaement, so no peanut butter grease in this one. Thanks for the help!
Likes For mgopack42:
Old 06-19-23, 07:14 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh

snip . . .
This is great info. I was a big fan of Sachs Maillard 7 speed freewheels when they came out and I still have a few of them. By and large, they still operate fine except for one that is stuck. I had no idea why; now I know. Looks like I'll need to send it to the spa treatment especially since it's a very useful 13-32.
Likes For bikemig: