Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

27.5 vs 29 which and why

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

27.5 vs 29 which and why

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-21, 02:26 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
With many XC models I was looking to buy the 27.5 tires were provided only on the smaller frame sizes and probably to provide a somewhat lower standover height for riders. The Scott 965 I bought was only available as a 29. When it comes to tires there are the most options with the 27.5 at this point in time but a few years from now the situation is likelly to be the reverse.

With the ongoing shortage of new bicycles in the inventories of bike shops, the choice becomes what is available unless one does not mind waithing until next year and hopping for the best. The best available XC bike in my size and in my area was the Scott Scale 965 29er and that is what I bought.
Old 09-12-21, 10:35 AM
xcfang

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'd say 27.5 for downhill and 29 for the other stuff. I do miss the whipiness of my 26" specialized rockhopper from 2003, but I don't miss descending on it!
Old 09-15-21, 04:28 PM
urobouros

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of the trails I've been on are pretty tight & I've been riding a hardtail with 27.5s so went with the same when I got my Ibis Mojo. To be fair, I haven't tried 29" wheels on a trail but the couple times I've tried them at the store they felt tall.
Old 09-15-21, 05:36 PM
Calsun
Banned

I would expect that the bike's suspension and frame geometry are going to have by far the greatest impact on trails, especially on the downgrades. A difference in tire radius of 0.75 inches is trivial by comparison. I read where a fellow felt he had more control after switching from the factory 2.3" wide tires to ones that were 2.4" wide, with no thought given to having a different tread or sidewall or tread compound with the 2.4" tire.

The 2022 Scott Spark trail bikes will take either 27.5 or 29 inch wheels and tires on the same frame and that is by design so riders can change out the wheel depending on where they plan to ride. It will be many months before they are available at the bike shops buy but I will be watching for them to appear and buying one as soon as I can.
Old 09-21-21, 11:32 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I've seen guys rail in very tight singletrack on their 29ers, so the shortcoming is most likely my own skills. But I've always thought that 29ers were best suited for six-footers and taller people; I like sitting "in" the bike, and big wheels put me more "on" it. And with the advent of plus-size tires (which I'm 100% sold on), the differences are more evident. 29+ is just too much wheel for me, but 27.5+ is Goldilocks.
I am about 6ft3 and I feel like 29x2.35 is a bit large for me. I would prefer faster response around tighter turns, but Im sure 29 will come in handy with some of the crazy singletrack many of us have available.
Old 09-21-21, 12:09 PM
Calsun
Banned

Originally Posted by Moisture
I am about 6ft3 and I feel like 29x2.35 is a bit large for me. I would prefer faster response around tighter turns, but Im sure 29 will come in handy with some of the crazy singletrack many of us have available.
Nino Schurter commented in an interview that he primarily uses 29" tires except for technical downhill courses where he uses the 27.5" tires. Not mention as to the differences in frame geometry which doubtless plays a role as well. He may be partly responsible for Scott going to the same frames for 27.5 and 29 inch wheels so riders can have two sets of wheels and change them as desired.

I wonder how much needs to be altered if putting 27.5 wheels on a 29er bike. Tire clearance is not a problem so it seems to come down to adjusting the brakes.
Old 09-21-21, 03:04 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
Nino Schurter commented in an interview that he primarily uses 29" tires except for technical downhill courses where he uses the 27.5" tires. Not mention as to the differences in frame geometry which doubtless plays a role as well. He may be partly responsible for Scott going to the same frames for 27.5 and 29 inch wheels so riders can have two sets of wheels and change them as desired.

I wonder how much needs to be altered if putting 27.5 wheels on a 29er bike. Tire clearance is not a problem so it seems to come down to adjusting the brakes.
using 27.5 wheels with thicker tires to make up for the change in diameter? Or using 27.5 with the same tire size as with 29?

It woukd make the bike sit about 21mm lower, so mostly the bottom bracket drop/height would need to account for this as well as a slight slackening of angles to make up for the decrease in trail.